• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hi Bill or anyone else who has a working demo.

What is the best image add on/contribution to use with STS. I have GD auto thumbnailer installed and works great, however I would like to have additional images per product and maybe a lightbox effect.

Any Ideas?

I'm using OSc 2.2 with STS 4.5.8. Please can anyone help with my images problem. Images are not displaying when I go to secure server pages.

I've searched the forum and tried the following suggestions with no success:

I changed 'true' to 'false' but that resulted in no secure server so changed back to 'true'.

define('ENABLE_SSL', false);

Next checked this was in my shop/index.php file, it wasn't so I added it in the head.

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">

Checked this was in shop/includes/application_top.php, it was so didn't change anything.

// set the type of request (secure or not)
 $request_type = (getenv('HTTPS') == 'on') ? 'SSL' : 'NONSSL';

I've tried moving my images folder into STS templates but then the images don't display at all on non-secure or secure areas, I'm not sure where to change the settings to point to the images. This is my first attempt with OSc and php, I'm a newb so any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Bill Kellum,

Thanks for the prompt respond..

Yes indeed it was a broken mini_search.php that caused the page not showing.

What I did was to reduplicate from search.php to make a new mini_search.php..

then I remove a line of code at a time and tested the template (until I got what I wanted, the search box with just the seach field and search icon-- no infobox header or advance search text)

<!-- mini_search //-->	 
<?php
//  $info_box_contents = array();
//  $info_box_contents[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);
//  new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);
 $info_box_contents = array();
 $info_box_contents[] = array('form' => tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get'),
						   'align' => 'center',
						   'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="8" maxlength="40" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-40) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH));
 new infoBox($info_box_contents);
?>   
<!-- mini_search_eof //-->

both sts_user_code.php and sts_column_left.php works fine for custom placeholder : )

I've managed to get the mini_search.php to show in the template now : )

--> However, even when I remove all the codes from mini_search.php it still shows a info box styled box with background colour and border which dont fit into the template.

Question:

How can I make mini_search.php appear without the usual infobox style?

(editing .infoBox and .infoBoxContents in stylesheet.css cause changes to all infoboxes, but I only want to effect the style change on mini_search.php)

many thanks :)

If all you are wanting is control over the design of the search box, simply add the search code to your template using any design that fits:

<div align="right">
<table width="" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
<tr><form name="advanced_search" action="./advanced_search_result.php" method="get">
<td bgcolor="#bcbcbc">
<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="white">
<tr>
<td class="navigation"> </td>
<td align="center"><input type="hidden" name="search_in_description" value="1"><input type="hidden" name="inc_subcat" value="1" 1><input type="text" name="keywords" size="20" maxlength="30" class="searchForm" style="width: 95px"></td>
<td align="center"> <input type="image" src="$templatedir/images/english/buttons/button_search.gif" border="0" alt="Search" title=" Search " name="Search"></td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</form></tr>
</table>
</div>

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

To clarify this a little more...

To add the search function to your template, you could simply add the actual form:

<form name="advanced_search" action="advanced_search_result.php" method="get">

<td bgcolor="anycolor">

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="navigation">Search ;</td>

<td align="center"><input type="hidden" name="search_in_description" value="1"><input type="hidden" name="inc_subcat" value="1" 1><input type="text" name="keywords" size="10" maxlength="30" class="searchForm" style="width: 95px"></td><td align="center"> <input type="image" src="$templatedir/images/gobutton.gif" border="0" alt="Search" title=" Search "></td></tr></table>

</td></form>

The above code can be used anywhere in your template and can be styled anyway you desire. The items in bold need to be changed to your liking.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi Bill,

I had some problem with a css menu a little while back and managed to solve it. It came down to the doctype, needed to be xhtml.

After changing the doctype to xhtml and then further editing the template, I've noticed that the STS css menu doesn't work in IE now.

Any ideas into solving the problem?

The site can be seen here: http://www.jbphotos.com.au/new/catalog/

Thanks,

Jeremy

To clarify this a little more...

To add the search function to your template, you could simply add the actual form...

Thanks Bill Kellum,

The actual form method you suggested works like a charm : ) ...

I never thought it could work just like that.

I use the code you've provided in a mini_search.html

<form name="advanced_search" action="http://yourdomain.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php" method="get">
<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td align="center"><input type="hidden" name="search_in_description" value="1"><input type="hidden" name="inc_subcat" value="1"><input type="text" name="keywords" size="10" maxlength="30" class="searchForm" width="95px" id="keywords"></td><td align="left"> <input type="image" src="http://yourdomain.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/images/buttons/button_quick_find.gif" border="0" alt="Search" title=" Search "></td></tr></table>
</form>

and added this code to the sts_user_code.php:

$sts->start_capture();
 require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'mini_search.html');
 $sts->restart_capture('minisearchbox');

and got the result I wanted..

A mini searchbox without the additional text below and without being wrapped in sts infobox style borders and background that I can call using placeholder in a sts template and place anywhere I want! :rolleyes:

Do you think the catalog/includes/boxes/manufacturers.php could also use the direct form methods?

I opened up manufacturers.php and this time, it is not a simple form as it query the database to form a list of manufacturer and their respective urls before drawing it up as a form..

I'm beginning to see the power of STS for designers like me who cannot do php to save our lives.. :)

Thanks for the wonderful contribute and support!

OK... that helped partially. I had to change the default template to my own index.html in the default file in the STS Module (after deleting index.php.html), but wasn't able to link to my other file (http 404 error). Both files are in the full folder (not in 'boxes' or 'content').

I tried the next suggestion of yours to include the "require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'mini_search.php');

$sts->restart_capture ('minisearchbox', 'box'); //Get custom search box" in the includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_column_left.php file, but got a warning and a fatal error with that.

How do I link to my other pages from my index page?

And thanks for all your help, Bill. I appreciate it. Maybe I'll be the reason if you write the manual, "STS for Dummies."

Mike

Thank you so much. That STS looks exactly like what I need, but before I try to install it, does it keep the session ID in tact? (bare with me...I'm a total newbie just trying to figure all this out). Does it just convert the home(index) page from php to html so that I can add the flash? Just to summarize some of what others are telling me (above)...I guess you can't add flash to a php page. Well, being the hard-head I sometimes am, I now realize that after trying every-which way. I was able to get the flash buttons to appear on the home page, so I was hoping that there was hope to get it to work by linking each flash button separately to the php category pages. Getting nowhere w/ that, I finally tried to link a still .gif button and got it to work. So, I just purchased some software so that I can convert a .swf file to an animated gif so I can still get the effect I wanted, but if this STS will allow me to add the .swf and not compromise the session ID, that would be even better. If I install the STS and set that up, will I have to re-do the whole site, or just the home page?

I have a problem with STS and ultra pics. I've installed a clean version of rc2a and STS last version, an the i added the package Ultra Pics 2.07.01 - incl. STS + CCGV + LightBox - Correct one , i've replaced the files(drag and drop). I think i must do something more. I attached a picture

92818589yr5.th.jpgthpix.gif

oops,sorry Bill...I accidently posted my message again in that other forum...still trying to figure out this forum stuff. Anyway, here was my original STS question:

I installed the STS, but now...when I try to log in to my admin, I'm getting this message:

//START STS 4.1 define('BOX_MODULES_STS', 'STS'); //END STS 4.1

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/shessofo/public_html/nomoreuglyjars/catalog/admin/includes/languages/english.php:306) in /home2/shessofo/public_html/nomoreuglyjars/catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 22

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Leah

oops,sorry Bill...I accidently posted my message again in that other forum...still trying to figure out this forum stuff. Anyway, here was my original STS question:

I installed the STS, but now...when I try to log in to my admin, I'm getting this message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/shessofo/public_html/nomoreuglyjars/catalog/admin/includes/languages/english.php:306) in /home2/shessofo/public_html/nomoreuglyjars/catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 22

Leah

Bill, thank you so much!

I am amased how you remember all such postings...

I made changes described in http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1204504

(some modifications were needed cause my testimonials version was a bit newer I believe) and it started working fine!

I didn't do http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1205209 because I didn't understand a thing and I didn't noticed anything wrong in database or anything else.

Again, thank you very much!

Hi AlwaysNewbie

I also have a newer version of Customer Testimonial 3. I can't figure out how to get the code from the 1st link to work. Could I see the code you changed to make it work.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

I have installed:

Oscommerce version 2.2rc2a, STS version 4.5.8, Header Tags SEO version 3.1.5, SEO Assistant version 2.1

Thanks

Joey

Leah

Leah,

It appears you added the code manually rather than merging in the code using a file comparison tool (preferred method). You most likely have some white space in the code in the english.php file around lines 300-310 or so. Use a File Comparison tool such as Beyond Compare or WinMerge to compare your files on your server to the files from the contribution and you will quickly find the culprit.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

That is exactly it Bill. Thank You. I realized what I did...in this part of the installation manual:

"2.5.2 catalog/admin/includes/languages/english.php

Add at the end:

Do the same for other languages in your setup."

I thought it meant to put it at the very end, so that's what I did. But I guess it means at the end,but before the <?php end tag. It'd be nice to have a manual for "scripting dummies" like myself. I should probably go through that whole process again to be sure I didn't do it on the other steps either.

Anyway, thanx!

Leah

That is exactly it Bill. Thank You. I realized what I did...in this part of the installation manual:

"2.5.2 catalog/admin/includes/languages/english.php

Add at the end:

Do the same for other languages in your setup."

I thought it meant to put it at the very end, so that's what I did. But I guess it means at the end,but before the <?php end tag. It'd be nice to have a manual for "scripting dummies" like myself. I should probably go through that whole process again to be sure I didn't do it on the other steps either.

Anyway, thanx!

Leah

You are welcome.

That is why I have the files as well as the manual instructions so that you can have some code to compare with.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Leah,

It appears you added the code manually rather than merging in the code using a file comparison tool (preferred method). You most likely have some white space in the code in the english.php file around lines 300-310 or so. Use a File Comparison tool such as Beyond Compare or WinMerge to compare your files on your server to the files from the contribution and you will quickly find the culprit.

Hope this helped,

Thank you Bill... boy do I have a long learning curve to go :) ...I decided to take your advice and try that tool your talking about. I just got the Beyond Compare. I was playing with it to see how it works, but I dont understand how you compare different files to reconcile. Since the manual instructions say to manually enter in that code after it's uploaded to the server, after you do that, they'd be different files wouldn't they?...so then how would they reconcile (if that makes any sense at all)? Which files (or folders?) do you compare (or merge?)? Here are the 2 files I assume you compare (one from the desktop & the other on my server: 1. C:\Documents and Settings\Justin\Desktop\STSv4.5.8_1_2_1\STSv4.5.8\STS and 2. ftp://[email protected]/public_html/...glyjars/catalog. I know that I'm very lost with this, but this probably would be worth learning since I plan on using some other contributions as well.

This must be really boring for you to answer such basic questions, but thank you so much for taking the time to help a little person like me. I noticed that you are one of the contributors to this contribution...not that I'm complaining...but why do you offer this for free and all your help?

oh, yeah...I'm trying to print off the user manual, but for some reason I can't. It says it's in Word, but it keeps wanting to convert to 'flash paper' (never heard of that before). Whatever it is, I can't seem to find a way to print it off...do you know of somewhere I can get it... perhaps in a different format so that it's printable?

thanx again!!!

Leah

Hi I just installed the STS 4.4 or 4.5 version and am getting the "Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class sts_default..."

I tried renaming the sts_default.php to *.old, but then I received a similar error as above except "...sts_index...".

I assume the issue isn't with either file, but either the admin box or something.

I'm working offline with this package.

Thanks

Hi I just installed the STS 4.4 or 4.5 version and am getting the "Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class sts_default..."

I tried renaming the sts_default.php to *.old, but then I received a similar error as above except "...sts_index...".

I assume the issue isn't with either file, but either the admin box or something.

Thanks

Tim, you should upgrade to STSv4.5.8 as it has all of the current bug fixes included as well as added features.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi AlwaysNewbie

I also have a newer version of Customer Testimonial 3. I can't figure out how to get the code from the 1st link to work. Could I see the code you changed to make it work.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Joey, a new version of Customer Testimonial was just released today. Upgrade to that as prior Customer Testimonial contributions had several bugs, especially with error handling.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I have a problem with STS and ultra pics. I've installed a clean version of rc2a and STS last version, an the i added the package Ultra Pics 2.07.01 - incl. STS + CCGV + LightBox - Correct one , i've replaced the files(drag and drop). I think i must do something more. I attached a picture

92818589yr5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Pac,

I'm not real sure on what you are asking. I use UltraPics with STSv4.5.8 with no issues at all. I have modified the popup_image.php.html template to reflect my UltraPics modifications as well. I do not use LightBox so I may not be able to help you with that.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Thank you Bill... boy do I have a long learning curve to go :) ...I decided to take your advice and try that tool your talking about. I just got the Beyond Compare. I was playing with it to see how it works, but I dont understand how you compare different files to reconcile. Since the manual instructions say to manually enter in that code after it's uploaded to the server, after you do that, they'd be different files wouldn't they?...so then how would they reconcile (if that makes any sense at all)? Which files (or folders?) do you compare (or merge?)? Here are the 2 files I assume you compare (one from the desktop & the other on my server: 1. C:\Documents and Settings\Justin\Desktop\STSv4.5.8_1_2_1\STSv4.5.8\STS and 2. ftp://[email protected]/public_html/...glyjars/catalog. I know that I'm very lost with this, but this probably would be worth learning since I plan on using some other contributions as well.

This must be really boring for you to answer such basic questions, but thank you so much for taking the time to help a little person like me. I noticed that you are one of the contributors to this contribution...not that I'm complaining...but why do you offer this for free and all your help?

oh, yeah...I'm trying to print off the user manual, but for some reason I can't. It says it's in Word, but it keeps wanting to convert to 'flash paper' (never heard of that before). Whatever it is, I can't seem to find a way to print it off...do you know of somewhere I can get it... perhaps in a different format so that it's printable?

thanx again!!!

Leah

Hello Leah,

I can't really go into detail on how to use Beyond Compare as that is "beyond" the scope of this forum but I can offer a link that does:

http://cropwiki.irri.org/everest/index.php...ository_compare

Basically, I suggest downloading your entire store to your PC and make a copy for safe keeping as well. Use BeYond Compare to do a file comparison of the downloaded store files and that of the contribution. BeYond Compare will show you the folders and files that are different. You then could merge in the changes to your downloaded store files. Once finished, you would upload the modified store files to your server to over-wright your current files. *Beyond Compare makes a backup copy of any files that you modifiy by placing a .bak extension to the end of the original file but it is still best to keep an entire backup of your store on your PC for safe keeping "just in case".

Regarding the STS User Manual, you will need Microsoft Word. I do have the manual in a PDF format if you need it (just let me know).

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Bill,

I had some problem with a css menu a little while back and managed to solve it. It came down to the doctype, needed to be xhtml.

After changing the doctype to xhtml and then further editing the template, I've noticed that the STS css menu doesn't work in IE now.

Any ideas into solving the problem?

The site can be seen here: http://www.jbphotos.com.au/new/catalog/

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy, the doctype is an important piece of the puzzle, that if incorrect, it could cause unpredictable results. The sample templates that come with the contribution use a doctype that should work most of the time but depending upon the language and region of your store, you may need to customize it. Each browser is different in rendering code and looks to the doctype for instructions, some more fogiving than others.

Look at the following for more info on doctypes:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/doctype/

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Thanks

Tim, I forgot to mention that your issue may be related to a misconfigured STS module in the admin. Change everything back to the default settings and then go from there.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

(I originally posted this in the other STS thread but as I'm using version 4.58 *or whatever its called* so I thought this thread was more appropriate)

Hi, I am just getting my site sorted. http://design.mmmboptastic.com using STS. I have it using the 'test' template instead of the 'full' one as I don't understand the 'full' one enough.

At the bottom I want to have my links (about, faq, links, contact etc) but I don't want to use the 'information' box (I found it impossible to add pages with that function!). Is there a way of doing this? So if someone clicks on 'About' it opens store.com/about.html (or .php) which is a page that has the 'about' information where $content usually is and then the other bits like 'account' etc where theyusually are.

I uploaded about.php to the root http://design.mmmboptastic.com/about.php but as you can see it doesn't work how I want it to.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks

Jo