• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hi Bill

Got everything figured out and working for the page centering and width.

Now I'm trying to set up seperate content pages for store info and about us etc, I have the pages created and also created the corosponding store_info.php.html, about_us.php.html files, and created a contents folder in the test folder and placed the files in there....

Was hoping you could lead me in the right direction for my next step to get sts to use the new content for the pages.

Craig,

If you used my STS addon (in the STS Power Pack Addon site - link in my signature below) to Add New Pages Using STS, then all you would need to do is simply create the template pages as you did, BUT, DO NOT PLACE THEM IN THE CONTENT FOLDER. These templates should be in your STS Templates folder with your other templates (such as the default template, etc.). The content folder is for actual "content" templates such as for your product info pages, etc. You do not need to create a "content" template in order to have STS template a specific page.

For example: Let's say you wanted to have STS template the existing shipping.php page. To do this, simply create a template named shipping.php.html and place it in your STS Template folder. You set the STS Template folder in the STS Default Module in your shop's Admin. Out of the box it is set at "test". You should change this right away to at least "full". I say this since the "full" template folder has a more complete template folder structure than the default "test" folder.

:thumbsup: You can always create more template folders. Why? Well, you could create themed templates for different seasons, holidays, etc. By using extra template folders, you would simply change the name of the diesired template folder in the STS Default Module verses having to make changes to your "everyday" theme.

:thumbsup: I strongly suggest reading through the various documents in the "docs" folder of the contribution. These docs go into detail on how STS chooses what template to use for what page is being called. The Product Info doc with explain how "content" templates are used.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi Bill

Thanks for sticking in there for these newb questions : )

I have been reading much of the info, I seem to be strugling getting my hands around every aspect of this far reaching contrib.

I have the main template all set and working great I'm more looking at just creating $content templates, so that each page for say store or about us uses the default page template and replaces only the content portion with the store info and about us for example.

I have used the included product_info template as a starter and renamed them to store.php.html for example, but can't seem to grasp exactly how to have the default template use each $content template for only those specific pages.

I'm running out of hair to pull out :( so any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Bill

Thanks for sticking in there for these newb questions : )

I have been reading much of the info, I seem to be strugling getting my hands around every aspect of this far reaching contrib.

I have the main template all set and working great I'm more looking at just creating $content templates, so that each page for say store or about us uses the default page template and replaces only the content portion with the store info and about us for example.

I have used the included product_info template as a starter and renamed them to store.php.html for example, but can't seem to grasp exactly how to have the default template use each $content template for only those specific pages.

I'm running out of hair to pull out :( so any help is greatly appreciated.

Craig,

This is incorrect:

STS will allow you to template any "PHP" page in your osC store. Do these pages actually exist: store.php and about_us.php? If not, you will need to add them to your store before STS can actually make a template for them. If you do not know how to do this, then use my STS addon "Add New Pages Using STS" which is available for download in the STS Power Pack site (link in my signature below).

Once you have those pages, you can now simply copy the sts_template.html template and rename it store.php.html and about_us.php.html so that STS will use a specific template for those pages.

Currently, the content templates ONLY work for the product_info.php file. A new STS Module would need to be created if you wanted to make a content template for any other PHP script.

Keep in mind, you can add any static info that you want to your store.php.html and about_us.php.html pages and not need a special "content" template.

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Thanks Bill

Add ing the pages to OSC was a easy.

Ahh starting to make sence, I had tried using the sts_template (renamed of course) which had the Title of the page and the continue button which was anoying : ) so basically I can go into the store.php script and remove the continue button, then place my html for the content I want(blurbs, pics directions, etc) in the sts template for that page and be good to go?

Once I get the total hand of sts I'll make a module for it later : )

Thanks Bill

Add ing the pages to OSC was a easy.

Ahh starting to make sence, I had tried using the sts_template (renamed of course) which had the Title of the page and the continue button which was anoying : ) so basically I can go into the store.php script and remove the continue button, then place my html for the content I want(blurbs, pics directions, etc) in the sts template for that page and be good to go?

Once I get the total hand of sts I'll make a module for it later : )

Yes, If I understand you correctly, it looks like you got it.

The sample templates could help you understand it a little better. For example: The index.php.html template is a template for the index.php script. In the template, the $content tag brings in all of the osCommerce data that is produced. If you wanted to add, for example, some static HTML, you would simply add this to that template.

You could even create a "home page" template called index.php_0.html and it would be the very first page that is viewed in your shop. You could leave out the $content tag in this template and simply add only the HTML or whatever that you wanted to be displayed on the home page (such as a Flash file, etc.).

If you wanted to go further and have a specific template for each category, you would simply name your template index.php_x.html where x is the category ID. For subcategories, it would be index.php_x_y.html where x is the category ID and y is the subcategory ID. Follow the same naming syntax for other template pages as well.

Once you get the hang of it you will find that STS has a ton of options to assist in making your osCommerce store look very unique.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Yes, If I understand you correctly, it looks like you got it.

The sample templates could help you understand it a little better. For example: The index.php.html template is a template for the index.php script. In the template, the $content tag brings in all of the osCommerce data that is produced. If you wanted to add, for example, some static HTML, you would simply add this to that template.

You could even create a "home page" template called index.php_0.html and it would be the very first page that is viewed in your shop. You could leave out the $content tag in this template and simply add only the HTML or whatever that you wanted to be displayed on the home page (such as a Flash file, etc.).

If you wanted to go further and have a specific template for each category, you would simply name your template index.php_x.html where x is the category ID. For subcategories, it would be index.php_x_y.html where x is the category ID and y is the subcategory ID. Follow the same naming syntax for other template pages as well.

Once you get the hang of it you will find that STS has a ton of options to assist in making your osCommerce store look very unique.

Roger that.

I'm trying to follow the manual and create some.. I guess you would call them user created link tags for example "$store" to place in the template for easier movement in the future, I'm adding the below code to the sts_user_code.php but either have the code wrong or am placing it in the wrong place

$sts->template['retailstore'] = tep_href_link(FILENAME_RETAIL_STORE_INFO,",'SSL');
$sts->template['retailstore'] = '<a href=' . tep_href_link(FILEMANE_RETAIL_STORE_INFO,",'SSL') ' . class="headernavagation">' . 'Retail Store' . '</a>';

Doesn't seem to matter where I place it the page ends up blank in the browser so I'm just assuming I done it all worng.

Edited by sitefire

I'm not sure if it is the right place to post my question, but I guess so.

I installed clean osCommerce RC2a. Now I found tons of very usefull contributions (damn, I wish to load one with all addons :) ).

I think I need to install at least STS and HTC for now and then move on if everything will be fine.

I found in description of STS that it can find HTC tags:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS FEATURES: Simple HEADER TAG CONTROLLER Integration

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This contribution also allows you to use WebMakers.com's

Header Tag Controller contribution without having to modify every file on

the system. Just copy the Header Tag Controller's include files into place

and STS will automatically add them to all pages without having to modify

every PHP script in the /catalog/ directory.

I guess it means I can install HTC before installing STS. The thing is that so many versions of STS and HTC that I 'm completely lost. It looks like STS 4.58 is the last one, but I saw MEGA and POWER version also. I think that they are based on different addons, I'm not sure. Please tell what versions I should use and in what order to make things simple.

I thought I need STS 4.58 and HTC SEO 3.0. Is there any contribution which includes both these wonderfull contributions in one pack?

Thank you for advice.

Mike

Computers777dotcom

Mike,

STSv4.5.8 is the most current release. The other items that you mentioned (power & mega) are not "versions" of STS. The STSv4 Power Pack is actually a download site for STS addons for STS version 4 and later. The Mega bundle is STS bundled with some other contributions, each of which has not been kept up to date.

I have written a step by step on how to install HTCv2.6.3 (last version of HTC) onto a shop that has STS. It is very simpe and straight forward (link is in my signature below). I also shared some dialog with Jack (author of the next version of HTC: HTC SEO 3.0) to make HTC SEO v3.0 easily integrate into a shop with STSv4.5.8. The thing to keep in mind is that when installing either of the two version of HTC, you should not follow the installation instructions that modify any existing files on the catalog/includes/ side of the shop. The reason being is that STS will automatically bring in the HTC code into your templates by using the $headcontent tag.

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Mike,

STSv4.5.8 is the most current release. The other items that you mentioned (power & mega) are not "versions" of STS. The STSv4 Power Pack is actually a download site for STS addons for STS version 4 and later. The Mega bundle is STS bundled with some other contributions, each of which has not been kept up to date.

I have written a step by step on how to install HTCv2.6.3 (last version of HTC) onto a shop that has STS. It is very simpe and straight forward (link is in my signature below). I also shared some dialog with Jack (author of the next version of HTC: HTC SEO 3.0) to make HTC SEO v3.0 easily integrate into a shop with STSv4.5.8. The thing to keep in mind is that when installing either of the two version of HTC, you should not follow the installation instructions that modify any existing files on the catalog/includes/ side of the shop. The reason being is that STS will automatically bring in the HTC code into your templates by using the $headcontent tag.

Hope this helps,

bkellum,

thanks for reply. Probably I'm slow today or just stupid as always. The HTC SEO v3.0 has instructions how to set up it on existing STS moded shop; it has files that should be just coipied over and instruction how to modify some other files.

You are saying I should not follow instructions that modify any existing files on the catalog/includes/ side of the shop and I am kinda confused now. Wait, stop: I reread your post now and I guess I understood. Correct me if I am wrong, please: I can install STS v4.5.8 and then, when I install HTC SEO v3.0, I don't need to make these modification for STS, only copy files from RC2 catalog to the shop. Am I right?

What do you think about one pack contribution which includes both last version of STS and HTC?

Sorry I am a real newbie here, and all these things are not really clear.

Computers777dotcom

STS Modules

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class sts_default in /catalog/includes/modules/sts/sts_default.php on line 22

This is when I try to click on the sts management link at admin/modules/sts link?

What did I do wrong.

This is my first post and first try at oscommerce and I really want it to be a great experience so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks B

Edited by jickimojo

STS Modules

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class sts_default in /catalog/includes/modules/sts/sts_default.php on line 22

This is when I try to click on the sts management link at admin/modules/sts link?

What did I do wrong.

This is my first post and first try at oscommerce and I really want it to be a great experience so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks B

Billy,

Welcome to osCommerce and the Simple Template System contribution!

You may not think that this will help but you should go over the installation again being sure to upload all of the files keeping the folder structure in place.

Also, some FTP clients have been known to not upload all of the files so be sure of this as well.

All in all, it is a very simple, well documented installation.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I know there must be a treat about this... but i looked everywere and can't find it... :-(

I have sts4.5.8 installed, and I want to modify the $content of the categoeries and manufatures. Like the same as I can modify product_info.php.html

Is this posible or do I have to do this hard coded?

Maybe there is a other way to design the layout of the categoeries and manufatures. I want to show them as square blocks and when you click it will go to the product info. Example on this site in the middle: http://www.gsm-shop.nl/

I'm sorry when this is posted already, but I searched for days now..

Tanx for helping me out

Billy,

Welcome to osCommerce and the Simple Template System contribution!

You may not think that this will help but you should go over the installation again being sure to upload all of the files keeping the folder structure in place.

Also, some FTP clients have been known to not upload all of the files so be sure of this as well.

All in all, it is a very simple, well documented installation.

Hope this helped,

Thanks for the reply Bill I am going to try and re-install this afternoon.

I know there must be a treat about this... but i looked everywere and can't find it... :-(

I have sts4.5.8 installed, and I want to modify the $content of the categoeries and manufatures. Like the same as I can modify product_info.php.html

Is this posible or do I have to do this hard coded?

Maybe there is a other way to design the layout of the categoeries and manufatures. I want to show them as square blocks and when you click it will go to the product info. Example on this site in the middle: http://www.gsm-shop.nl/

I'm sorry when this is posted already, but I searched for days now..

Tanx for helping me out

Dirk,

The STS User Manual gives some options for the categories box by suggesting a few contributions to install that would allow you to easily edit these using CSS styles.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to have sts for the admin side is well?

so I can customise the admin look easily?

Thanks

MME

After reading the previous post about having a template for a specific page I thought I would again try to get it working on my site.

I have one template that acts for every category including the index page easy enough, now I made a quick test template by simply leaving out the '$content' and naming it 'index.php.html' to see if it worked. Now when I have that file on my site then it works which is great but whenever I go to another page then it is the same, no content which means it is reading from the test index file and not from my main template.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to have sts for the admin side is well?

so I can customise the admin look easily?

Thanks

MME

Nevermind :rolleyes:

After a bit of struggling I have managed to make a template for the index page by calling it 'index.php_0.html' so that page displays and when you go to other pages the default template is displayed.

So, what I would now like to know is what do I need to name the templates for other pages that I want to have specific templates for? I have added a few new pages to my information box and would like to have specific pages for them etc but not sure as to what I name them etc.

Can anyone again point me in the right direction?

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question - but I just finished the manual upgrades from 060817 to RC2 and now my form to enter your credit card information is on the checkout_confirmation.php page rather than the checkout_payment.php page.

Is it supposed to be there? :blush:

TIA

~Tracy

Hello!

I have installed the contribution STSv4.5.2_and_PRODUCT_EXTRA_FIELDS.

MY version of STS is STSv4.5.8

When I disable product info template in admin product extra field works but not with product info template enabled.

I put the $pef$ tag in product_info.php.html template but there isn´t any extra fields showing up.

In the instructions for the contribution STSv4.5.2_and_PRODUCT_EXTRA_FIELDS it says

b) And then in includes/column_left.php simply call: include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'product_extra_fields.php');

Where shall i put this code?

Hi Bill,

I have installed STS 4.5.8 on RC2.

I want to ask if I should do anything different of standard installation of Google Analytics Beta v2.11(http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5652),

I mean placing of analytics code? By standard it should be placed on footer page.

I tried to look answers, but didn't find anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Computers777dotcom

No, it's not supposed to be on the checkout_confirmation page.

Ahh - I finally found out why it is there. I was running MS2-060817 and so I manually did the rc1 updates and then the rc2 updates.

The "extras" folder in the osc2.2rc2a download includes the instructions to first upgrade to rc1. In those instructions, 3rd bulleted item I believe, it has you do this:

[iMPROVEMENT] Input Fields on Checkout Confirmation Page

Allow payment modules to display input fields on the checkout confirmation page. This is for PCI conformance where the credit card number can be directly passed to the payment gateway.

Now that I finally had a chance to look into why, after upgrading, my credit card entry boxes are on the checkout_confirmation.php page it would appear that they are supposed to be there if you are going for PCI conformance.

:blush:

~Tracy

Hi Bill,

I have installed STS 4.5.8 on RC2.

I want to ask if I should do anything different of standard installation of Google Analytics Beta v2.11(http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5652),

I mean placing of analytics code? By standard it should be placed on footer page.

I tried to look answers, but didn't find anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Mike, at this time I do not use the Google Analytics Beta contribution.

Really, the only things to keep in mind regarding if other contributions will work with STS is the following:

1. If the contribution makes edits to the product_info.php file AND you are using the content template feature for product_info templates, you will need to duplicate these edits in the sts_inc/product_info.php file. If you are not using the content template feature in STS, you do not need to do anything else as STS will automatically pickup the custom product_info edits with the $content tag in your template page.
  2. If the contribution makes a new infobox, you will need to create a new infobox tag in order for STS to "find" the new box and allow you to template it. Instructions for doing so are listed in the sts_user_code.php file or in the following link: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1141288
  3. If the contribution creates a page that should not be templated by STS, or you do not want it to be templated, simply "exclude" that page from being templated. See the following link for more info: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1222434

Well, as long as the contribution is created according to osC coding standards, then the above should about cover it.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hello!

I have installed the contribution STSv4.5.2_and_PRODUCT_EXTRA_FIELDS.

MY version of STS is STSv4.5.8

When I disable product info template in admin product extra field works but not with product info template enabled.

I put the $pef$ tag in product_info.php.html template but there isn´t any extra fields showing up.

In the instructions for the contribution STSv4.5.2_and_PRODUCT_EXTRA_FIELDS it says

B) And then in includes/column_left.php simply call: include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'product_extra_fields.php');

Where shall i put this code?

I'm not sure about the bundle version that you mentioned but I bet you could simply add that line of code just before the last ? closing tag of that script.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Mike, at this time I do not use the Google Analytics Beta contribution.

Really, the only things to keep in mind regarding if other contributions will work with STS is the following:

1. If the contribution makes edits to the product_info.php file AND you are using the content template feature for product_info templates, you will need to duplicate these edits in the sts_inc/product_info.php file. If you are not using the content template feature in STS, you do not need to do anything else as STS will automatically pickup the custom product_info edits with the $content tag in your template page.
  2. If the contribution makes a new infobox, you will need to create a new infobox tag in order for STS to "find" the new box and allow you to template it. Instructions for doing so are listed in the sts_user_code.php file or in the following link: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1141288
  3. If the contribution creates a page that should not be templated by STS, or you do not want it to be templated, simply "exclude" that page from being templated. See the following link for more info: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1222434

Well, as long as the contribution is created according to osC coding standards, then the above should about cover it.

Hope this helped,

Yes Bill, it helped.

Thank you very much for your help.

I start to understand a bit by bit what's going on and your explanation was very, very helpful.

I think I should start learning php (its code reminds me C++ in some way :) ).

What I do like to find is the map of defined objects and events in osCommerce (what is what). I'm not sure if I am clear what I am talking about.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thank you again!

Edited by AlwaysNewbie

Computers777dotcom