• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hi all,

These forums have been an invaluable mine of information for me in setting up osC and STS, but I can't find the answer to this one...

I'm having a problem in that STS is putting this:  at the top of all catalog pages. When I view the html source of the page, these characters appear at the top before the document type declaration like this: <!DOCTYPE HTML blah...

It is not there if I change "Use Templates?" to "false" in Admin->modules->STS->Default.

I've checked sts_template.html in /test/ (the one I'm using): there are no characters before the doctype there.

I've also checked the files that I've most recently edited - replacing them with their original versions. No difference.

I'm guessing that some so-called non-printable-characters have found there way into a php file somewhere, but I have no idea which files I should be checking...

(I'm using the new osC v2.2 RC1 with the updated STS 4.5.3, and I've imported the database from my previous installation, adding the additional administrators table)

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt,

A couple of things could be causing your problem:

1. Check to be sure your FTP client software is uploading the PHP files in the correct format (rare)
  2. Check to be sure your STS Templates have the proper document encoding (most likely your issue)
    This issue can be resolved by correctly stating the very first line in your STS Templates:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

The above is the default but this may not work for you. What browser are you using? Check the encoding settings on your browser.

One of the things that you can try to help troubleshoot this issue is the following:

Open your includes/classes/sts.php file and comment out the following line of code:

$this->template['headcontent'] = $this->template['headcontent'].'<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET . '">' . "\n";

Now view your store in your browser and see if you are still getting those errors. If not, then this is indeed an encoding issue.

Send us a link so that we can see if this is a universal encoding problem with your site or just with your browser.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Sorry, one more question:

Could I use any contribution with STS? For exemple: I intend to use the Star Product, Feature Products, Loginbox Best, and much more. Is it possible with no problems? Thanks again.

Getting other contributions to work with STS is just like getting other contributions to work with "other contributions.

Keep in mind that STS is a contribution just like all of the other contributions. Each one makes modifications to the stock osC code. Since there is only so much code to go around, some contributions make modifications to the "same" lines of code. When this occurs, you will either need to know your way around PHP enough to make a custom modification (or search to see if somebody has already done it for you) or choose which contribution meets your needs more than the other one.

A good rule of thumb regarding STS and other contributions is as follows:

1. Contributions that make changes to the product_info.php file will also need to make those changes in includes/modules/sts_inc/product_info.php if you are using the "content" template feature in STS.
  2. Contributions that display thier own custom infobox such as in includes/boxes will need a STS tag created so that you can insert this tag in your templates where you want this new box to appear. There are instructions on how to do this in the includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_usercode.php file.

:thumbsup: We have created a site (STS4 Power Pack - link in my signature below) that has a lot of the custom modifications to contributions that make code changes to the same code that STS currently uses. This may give you some insight.

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Matt,

1. Check to be sure your FTP client software is uploading the PHP files in the correct format (rare)
  2. Check to be sure your STS Templates have the proper document encoding (most likely your issue)
    This issue can be resolved by correctly stating the very first line in your STS Templates:

The above is the default but this may not work for you. What browser are you using? Check the encoding settings on your browser.

One of the things that you can try to help troubleshoot this issue is the following:

Open your includes/classes/sts.php file and comment out the following line of code:

$this->template['headcontent'] = $this->template['headcontent'].'<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET . '">' . "\n";

Now view your store in your browser and see if you are still getting those errors. If not, then this is indeed an encoding issue.

Send us a link so that we can see if this is a universal encoding problem with your site or just with your browser.

Also, comment this line in includes/languages/english.php (and other languages):

// charset for web pages and emails
define('CHARSET', 'iso-8859-1');

This is just for troubleshooting a possible character set issue

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I understood everything and put loginbox in the fronto page: "quicly and easy"

Thanks a lot.

More doubt:

In the index.php.html have a $content and the product.info too. I know that is not the same contente, but using the same tag. How could edit this contents? For example, I would like to get off the new products for "month"in the index. Where is it? Thanks.

Matt,

Thanks Bill,

I didn't think think to try looking at it through another browser, as I assumed they would all get the same source code (which shows my lack of understanding of character encoding, I guess...)

I can now tell you that there is no problem when the page is displayed in IE6 or IE7. In IE, if I go to: View -> Encoding ->, it shows it is using UTF-8.

The characters show in Firefox (on 3 different PCs). If I go to (in Firefox): View -> Character Encoding -> I see that it is using ISO-8859-1. If I change this to UTF-8, the characters disappear... then refreshing the page switches back to ISO-8859-1 and the characters reappear.

I don't understand what's happening there: In all cases the "charset", in the source <head> is being set:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

but IE is selecting UTF-8 instead (and has no problem), but Firefox is using the correct encoding, but displaying those  characters!

Temporarily commenting out the content-type line from includes/classes/sts.php (effectively removing the meta-tag line above from the doc head) does fix it for firefox. It shows the page using UTF-8. (I can bring the characters back if I specifically tell Firefox to use ISO-8859-1)

So. I guess this means that it is an "encoding issue". But where do I go from here?

Cheers,

Matt.

(for some reason I was unable to edit my last post..?)

I meant to mention that I'm currently using the unedited /includes/sts_templates/test/sts_template.

... and that for FTP, I'm using FileZilla on WinXP and have been using it for a while with no problems.

Matt.

STS and Featured Products

:thumbsup: For those who may be interested, I just uploaded a new contribution on the Featured Products site to assist STS 4.5.3 users with the installation of Featured Products 1.5.9.

All files have been provided to make an easy merge into your existing store. Manual edits have been given as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,651

Hope this makes things easier for everyone. :lol:

Enjoy,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Thanks Bill,

I didn't think think to try looking at it through another browser, as I assumed they would all get the same source code (which shows my lack of understanding of character encoding, I guess...)

I can now tell you that there is no problem when the page is displayed in IE6 or IE7. In IE, if I go to: View -> Encoding ->, it shows it is using UTF-8.

The characters show in Firefox (on 3 different PCs). If I go to (in Firefox): View -> Character Encoding -> I see that it is using ISO-8859-1. If I change this to UTF-8, the characters disappear... then refreshing the page switches back to ISO-8859-1 and the characters reappear.

I don't understand what's happening there: In all cases the "charset", in the source <head> is being set:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

but IE is selecting UTF-8 instead (and has no problem), but Firefox is using the correct encoding, but displaying those  characters!

Temporarily commenting out the content-type line from includes/classes/sts.php (effectively removing the meta-tag line above from the doc head) does fix it for firefox. It shows the page using UTF-8. (I can bring the characters back if I specifically tell Firefox to use ISO-8859-1)

So. I guess this means that it is an "encoding issue". But where do I go from here?

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt,

You can either add the encoding directly to your template so that all browsers will display it correctly or do it within osCommerce modifying the files that I posted earlier.

Hope I have been of some help to you,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I understood everything and put loginbox in the fronto page: "quicly and easy"

Thanks a lot.

More doubt:

In the index.php.html have a $content and the product.info too. I know that is not the same contente, but using the same tag. How could edit this contents? For example, I would like to get off the new products for "month"in the index. Where is it? Thanks.

Renato,

I suggest that you use the Featured Products contribution to replace your New Products for month box. This will give you complete control over those products.

Check it out here:

Have fun,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Matt,

You can either add the encoding directly to your template so that all browsers will display it correctly or do it within osCommerce modifying the files that I posted earlier.

Hope I have been of some help to you,

Yes, you have. :) Thanks very much Bill.

What I have now done is this: I've edited includes/languages/english.php ... changing this:

define('CHARSET', 'iso-8859-1');

to this:

define('CHARSET', 'utf-8');

which now makes Firefox use UTF-8 encoding, whilst I assume IE continues doing its own thing and uses UTF-8 anyway.

This is now working for me :D ... But can you foresee this causing me any problems later, when I add other contributions, for instance? (I can see that iso-8859-1 appears in the code elsewhere) ... and I'm still unsure why it was happening anyway...

Thanks again.

Matt.

Renato,

I suggest that you use the Featured Products contribution to replace your New Products for month box. This will give you complete control over those products.

Check it out here:

Have fun,

Bill thanks for making this contrib more STS friendly, was looking for just the thing when I came across your post.

BTW thanks for STS