• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Shipping Insurance

olsonsp4c

This is the support forum topic for USPS Shipping Insurance which displays USPS shipping insurance rates on checkout_payment.php and allows for selection/deselecton of this option. It then adds the proper shipping

insurance amount to the order total on checkout_confirmation.php. Please read all the installation notes before installing.

This addon can be found here:

Hope this serves the community.

Scott (olsonsp4c)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me too long to finish the package because I wanted to include screenshots. Here is where you can find it:

USPS Shipping Insurance 1.0

If that does not work: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5782

Enjoy and please work together to improve this addon; so, all changes and mods to this addon must be discussed here before they will be integrated into the addon. If you have suggestions, feel free to email or message me.

Scott (olsonsp4c)

Edited by olsonsp4c

I tried a different insurance mod and it didn't show up in my modules options - before I try this one is it working?

it works - i have it working on my store.

Scott

I have followed the instructions, checked everything twice, the files are in the correct directory - but there is no option in the admin / modules. the only thing that was different was my stylesheet was in the catalog directory. Please help!

Never mind - after I walked away for a minute I realized what I did!!!

Edited by crafterscafe

okay - I got into the insurance module- however, when I select priorty it is forcing express at checkout?

This is not a problem with the insurance module, but with the shipping module. I've seen this on the USPS forums several times, please check there.

Scott

Nice addition! Thank you.

I am having a problem getting the module to include sales tax in the calculation. Can you direct me to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Kim

Hi Kim,

This is a shot in the dark with little info, but here it is...

1. Make sure that you have set the include tax option to True and click the update/save button (i know that is obvious)

2. Make sure that the sort order of the insurance module is AFTER the "Tax" in the order totals modules in the admin (per the instructions - see below)

Sort Order? Set this to the order you want it to appear in the totals table.

See how your Order Total Modules have a Sort Order? Well, I use Shipping

as 3 and Shipping Insurance as 4. Be careful NOT to have two modules with

the same order number. Note that ANY modules ordered after it, excluding

shipping, will not be included in the total insured.

Hope this is the solution for you.

Scott

I figured it out. you need to change the order to put the insurance above the tax.

Thanks for letting me know - sort orders are important with order total modules. appreciate your use of my addon Sue.

Scott

Hi Kim,

This is a shot in the dark with little info, but here it is...

1. Make sure that you have set the include tax option to True and click the update/save button (i know that is obvious)

2. Make sure that the sort order of the insurance module is AFTER the "Tax" in the order totals modules in the admin (per the instructions - see below)

Sort Order? Set this to the order you want it to appear in the totals table.

See how your Order Total Modules have a Sort Order? Well, I use Shipping

as 3 and Shipping Insurance as 4. Be careful NOT to have two modules with

the same order number. Note that ANY modules ordered after it, excluding

shipping, will not be included in the total insured.

Hope this is the solution for you.

Scott

Here's my settings. Just can't get the shipping insurance to add sales tax and I don't know much about php coding. I'm open to suggestions.

Discount Coupons 5

Gift Vouchers 6

Low Order Fee

Shipping 2

Sub-Total 1

Tax 4

Total 7

USPS Shipping Insurance 3

Please check the USPS Website to confirm the accuracy of the insurance rates by clicking HERE for domestic rates and clicking HERE for international rates.

Insure Packages

True

Insure Tax

True

Customer Choice

True

Sort Order

US/Canada $.01-$50.00

$1.65

US/Canada $50.01-$100.00

$2.05

US/Canada $100.01-$200.00

$2.45

US/Canada $200.01-$300.00

$4.60

US/Canada per $100 over $300

$0.90

International $.01-$50.00

$0.00

International $50.01-$100.00

$0.00

International $100.01-$200.00

$0.00

International $200.01-$300.00

$0.00

International per $100 over $300

$0.00

Here's my settings. Just can't get the shipping insurance to add sales tax and I don't know much about php coding. I'm open to suggestions.

Discount Coupons 5

Gift Vouchers 6

Low Order Fee

Shipping 2

Sub-Total 1

Tax 4

Total 7

USPS Shipping Insurance 3

USPS Shipping Insurance must be 1 higher in the order than Tax, so re-order them with this in mind. So:

subtotal 1

shipping 2

tax 3

usps shipping insurance 4

and so on...

Scott

USPS Shipping Insurance must be 1 higher in the order than Tax, so re-order them with this in mind. So:

subtotal 1

shipping 2

tax 3

usps shipping insurance 4

and so on...

Scott

Hey Scott,

Tried setting shipping insurance as 4 as you suggested even tried it as 2 and 7. No matter where I place it the sales tax is not getting calculated on the shipping insurance portion of the order total.

I added the code to the stylesheet but I can't seem to control the size of the text at checkout_payment. Anyone else have this problem. Any tips to fix this. Other than that seems to work great and this is a contribution that was really needed. Thank you!

customer_choice.jpg

I used the following in the stylesheet and it works fine now. Thanks to the author for a really nice addition.

/* USPS Insurance */

TD.tinyText, SPAN.tinyText, P.tinyText {

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 8px;

}

/* USPS Insurance */

I used the following in the stylesheet and it works fine now. Thanks to the author for a really nice addition.

/* USPS Insurance */

}

/* USPS Insurance */

Thanks for the update! Are you saying that you just missed that part of the instructions?

Scott

Edited by olsonsp4c

No, I didn't miss it. The instructions were there and correct. However, when I added that to the stylesheet I wanted to isolate it from other additions and be able to come back later and see what it was for and I erroneously added this:

// USPS Insurance

}

// USPS Insurance

That didn't work for me but this did:

/* USPS Insurance */

}

/* USPS Insurance */

Thanks again for the contribution. I have received a dozen orders since adding (none with PayPal yet) and it works great so far.

No, I didn't miss it. The instructions were there and correct. However, when I added that to the stylesheet I wanted to isolate it from other additions and be able to come back later and see what it was for and I erroneously added this:

// USPS Insurance

}

// USPS Insurance

That didn't work for me but this did:

/* USPS Insurance */

}

/* USPS Insurance */

Thanks again for the contribution. I have received a dozen orders since adding (none with PayPal yet) and it works great so far.

Your welcome - the addon does not work like it should, but it is good enough for now!

Scott

Scott:

Now you have me puzzled. What do you mean when you say "does not work like it should"? What doesn't wok?

Dennis

Your welcome - the addon does not work like it should, but it is good enough for now!

Scott

Scott:

Now you have me puzzled. What do you mean when you say "does not work like it should"? What doesn't wok?

Dennis

It works for only 1 package per order, more than 1 package per order and it won't calculate properly because I don't know how to get the order_totals module to import the $shipping_num_boxes variable from includes/classes/shipping.php - also, I'd rather have it on the checkout_shipping.php page, but I can't figure out how to carry the variable through checkout_payment.php to checkout_confirmation.php

Also, several people have reported tax issues, but I have not verified this personally.

thanks!

Scott

Edited by olsonsp4c

I understand.

It works well for me as I only ship one package at a time and the tax calculation is working properly for me. I saw references to that but I am not required to collect tax for the shipping cost so it's just fine as is. In addition, it's very accurate. If you have the tare weight correct and the weight of the merchandise correct the shipping charges with insurance are 100% on the nose.

Thanks again!

A major problem after receiving the first few orders paid by PayPal. The insurance charge is NOT added to the PayPal payment. So the order invoice shows they wanted insurance but they don't pay for it when using PayPal. What to do now?

Hey Scott,

I think I may have found the reason that tax is not cal

culated on the shipping insurance. I have CCGV(trad) loaded and I found the following code in checkout_confirmation:

$payment_modules->update_status();

$order_total_modules = new order_total;// CCGV

$order_total_modules->collect_posts();// CCGV

$order_total_modules->pre_confirmation_check();// CCGV

// Line edited for CCGV

// if ( ( is_array($payment_modules->modules) && (sizeof($payment_modules->modules) > 1) && !is_object($$payment) ) || (is_object($$payment) && ($$payment->enabled == false)) ) {

if ( (is_array($payment_modules->modules)) && (sizeof($payment_modules->modules) > 1) && (!is_object($$payment)) && (!$credit_covers) ) {

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, 'error_message=' . urlencode(ERROR_NO_PAYMENT_MODULE_SELECTED), 'SSL'));

}

if (is_array($payment_modules->modules)) {

$payment_modules->pre_confirmation_check();

}

// load the selected shipping module

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'shipping.php');

$shipping_modules = new shipping($shipping);

$_SESSION['choose_insurance'] = $_POST[choose_insurance]; //USPS shipping insurance

//Lines below repositioned for CCGV

// require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'order_total.php');

// $order_total_modules = new order_total;

It appears that the repositioned lines keep the shipping insurance from getting added into the order total. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am a php dummy.

TIA

Kim

(Adding information for my PayPal problem posting above.)

The variable for insurance needs to be added to the /ext/ipn.php as it is for shipping below in ipn.php. Or, shipping and insurance could be added together on the order_confirmation page and then the variable "shipping" would be fine.

Would someone write the code for either of those?

[sat Mar 15 17:13:10 2008] [error] PP TEST received POST variable: shipping : 1.98