• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do you take advantage of checkout success?

Besides getting rid of the surfer image, how do you take advantage of this page. I didn't start to think of this issue until i bought a dell computer and noticed how much information they give you after checking out. They have surveys, how to track your order info, articles on products, banners for products you may not have considered.

I'd love to hear some of your input on your take on this often overlooked page.

i guess no one makes any changes to this page.

i didn't. but your post inspired me to take a look at mine and realize how outdated it was, and give it new wordage and an updated feel :)

mine was previously the "default" from oscommerce.

i didn't. but your post inspired me to take a look at mine and realize how outdated it was, and give it new wordage and an updated feel :)

mine was previously the "default" from oscommerce.

Mine, excellent idea to make it work for you. Maybe a how did you hear about us, request product review, the possibilities are endless (but don't make them mindless).

Update and change by all means but personally I wouldn't add anything like the dell set up. Did you actually bother with any of those surveys etc?

SolarFrenzy

Solar powered gadgets at down to earth prices.

CheekyNaughty

Promoting British Design

Update and change by all means but personally I wouldn't add anything like the dell set up. Did you actually bother with any of those surveys etc?

haha no i just ignored them. good point

• 3 weeks later...
The stock OSC one is worded fine.

Except that the customer might have paid for priority postage or he might have paid for land mail (from usa to europe for example) or any other nunber of postage combinations - and you are telling him he'll get his goods in "2 to 5 working days"...

And the fact that product notifications never has worked...hardly useful!

You might as well just skip the checkout_success entirely and take your customer direct to account_history_info to show him his latest order details summary.

I see what you are saying.

I feel the page could be used more effectively like this:

An upsell. Once a customer has made a buying decision, it's just as easy to sell him or her something else. (example: batteries, gift wrapping, half price special offer or whatever)

not sure about the upsell... it would mean the customer goingback through the buying process again, and i'm not sure if people would want to do this, or simply think 'why didnt you tell me this earlier??'.

The coupon may work, but relies on the fact that the customer will come back at a later date and use it. 99% of sales are to new customers, PLUS you will be giving discount which otherwise they may not have previously used. If your products, service and prices are good they're going to come back to you anyway, coupon or not.

What about offer a coupon if the buyer backs out during the checkout process? Ie they go to close the browser or leave, at which point a coupon pops up offering discount should they continue. Admittedly though this will be open to abuse once the word gets round, and i'm assuming would be quite difficult to implement, but i think the way to better sales is to keep people on that checkout !!! Concentrate on the people your losing and why your losing them.

How about, an X-sell combination with a discount so they can purchase complementary items at a discount?

or join our newsletter group and get valuable coupons in the newsletters?

or refer a friend and get reward points/discount coupon on their first sale to the referred friend...

or Get a discounted shipping on your next purchase.....

etc..etc...

cheers,

Peter M

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

not sure about the upsell... it would mean the customer goingback through the buying process again, and i'm not sure if people would want to do this, or simply think 'why didnt you tell me this earlier??'.
What if the order could just be amended? That would be great wouldn't it?

What about offer a coupon if the buyer backs out during the checkout process? Ie they go to close the browser or leave, at which point a coupon pops up offering discount should they continue.
That's maybe a different subject, as they would not have got as far as checkout_success.php - an excellent idea though.

I think if you are going to Up Sell the customer it should be done while they are in the store. I try to think of it as if I was going into a big box store and buying a TV. They try to get you to buy the cables, adapters, etc while you are buying the TV, not when you are walking out the door. If they give you anything when leaving they are giving you a coupon or bonus bucks to get you to come back.

I just installed Burts contribution that removes the checkout_success.php and takes the customer to their account order page instead. I think that is a really good idea but it is also very similar as the checkout_confirmation page. The only change I made to Burts addon was to remove login.php (the links to it) all together and just use a combined create_account page.

I'm personally trying to turn my success page into a stepping stone for social marketing, and am throwing around some different strategies with google optimizer. It's more of a diversion though at this point as I'm not running the test scientifically.

I don't know if you can make any money from the success page; however, I do think you can make a very positive -borderline viral- customer service impression. In any case, its probably worth it just for the Good Karma your giving :)

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

• 3 months later...
Besides getting rid of the surfer image, how do you take advantage of this page. I didn't start to think of this issue until i bought a dell computer and noticed how much information they give you after checking out. They have surveys, how to track your order info, articles on products, banners for products you may not have considered.

I'd love to hear some of your input on your take on this often overlooked page.

Hi im terrible sorry but i've a question.

I explain:

I sale kintchens, to the builder, the builder give a ticket with a key to the new customer that buy a house, so the customer get in my web site and ask for the products of the interest. I want to know how inform me by mail when someone registry. And how can i inform to my customer that have more points for buy new products.

Plis my friend help me.

How about, an X-sell combination with a discount so they can purchase complementary items at a discount?

or join our newsletter group and get valuable coupons in the newsletters?

or refer a friend and get reward points/discount coupon on their first sale to the referred friend...

or Get a discounted shipping on your next purchase.....

etc..etc...

cheers,

Peter M

I explain:

I sale kintchens, to the builder, the builder give a ticket with a key to the new customer that buy a house, so the customer get in my web site and ask for the products of the interest. I want to know how inform me by mail when someone registry. And how can i inform to my customer that have more points for buy new products.

Plis my friend help me.

• 3 months later...

I explain:

Plis my friend help me.

there are many ways of doing what you ask

but all requires the handling of an expert :)

you should pay a site builder and tell him exacly what you want

Archived