• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce vs Joomla

GLWalker

Ive seen joomla and oscommerce put together quite a few times. But what advantage is it really? Joomla has a ton of advantages upon first look, but the deeper you dig into oscommerce, the more you find the same advantages at your disposal.

Probably the main thing that that throws users from using oscommerce exclusively at first glance is the steep learning curve and a hard to impliment template system.

But with the help of the user donated contributions and the very solid base core from oscommerce, the limits are uncompromising. You can get every bit of a full fledged content management system from oscommerce. With contributions like the article manager, information pages unlimited, links manager, news desk and ultimate SEO urls plus one of the meta tag management systems, how could you go wrong? Everything is at your disposal with just one system to login to.

I once was in the position of using joomla and oscommerce together until I combined the contributions mentioned above into one and then no longer needed anything else to manage a site.

Though the oscommerce project was written to be an online merchant solution, the developers were very clever in their base layout, allowing for much more than just use to the merchant, but to anyone willing to look further into the advantages the base code allows. I have not seen anything yet that cannot be done with oscommerce that can be with joomla other than the community features that joomla offers, and that is not far from being done with oscommerce either.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

• 3 months later...

Having the possibility of a multi-lingual admin-backend, with the possibility of assigning different rights to diff. user groups...

Our 'Shop' requires more than one user, but some of them arent supposed to be able to do 'everything'. osC don't have rights-management.

And I haven't found a German language pack for osC for example. Me being a native speaker I aint got a problem, and I code in PHP, so I can read the files, and know where to put what code for whatever desired effect, but my colleagues aint got a clue about html/php nor do they speak English sufficiently to understand some of the amin panel options.

Having the possibility of a multi-lingual admin-backend, with the possibility of assigning different rights to diff. user groups...

Our 'Shop' requires more than one user, but some of them arent supposed to be able to do 'everything'. osC don't have rights-management.

And I haven't found a German language pack for osC for example. Me being a native speaker I aint got a problem, and I code in PHP, so I can read the files, and know where to put what code for whatever desired effect, but my colleagues aint got a clue about html/php nor do they speak English sufficiently to understand some of the amin panel options.

ofcourse you may set multi-lingual admin backup!

In admin folder you find 3 bydefault languages.

When I was born, I was cryed and everyone around me was smiling.

Live our life so at the end,

I am the one who is smiling and everyone around me is crying.

osCommerce is multi-lingual and comes with 3 languages default..catalog and admin...English, German and Spanish...

There are several add-ons/contributions for multi level admin access among other this one: Administration Access Level Accounts 2.0

osCommerce is multi-lingual and comes with 3 languages default..catalog and admin...English, German and Spanish...

There are several add-ons/contributions for multi level admin access among other this one: Administration Access Level Accounts 2.0

Yes, Nick is correct on this one. I have created a CMS based on osC using STS for templating, Article Manager for uploading and managing documents, and then Admin Access Level Accounts 2.0 for multi-user logins. You can also add this contribution to remove the add to cart options which can be turned on at any time if you ever wanted to take advantage of the ecommerce capabilities again.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

osCommerce vs Joomla???

I can see where Joomla has distinct advantages that net newcomers need badly - decent, understandable documentation. Most Joomla instruction immediately describes the structure of Sections, Categories and Articles. Certainly, there's parts of Joomla that are not easy to understand intuitively, but I've searched and search without seeing a basic explanation, in understandable English, what the structure of OSCommerce. I understand that most developers are not trained educators.

Plus, most experts at anything are cursed with being "experts". They generally cannot relate to what it's like to not know what they know. So experts can't help newcomers because they insist on using abstraction to instruct when newcomers need comcrete, easy to understand analogies. Check out the reader reviews for most OSCommerce books sold by Amazon. Most are described as poor at best.

Archived