• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Stuck on how to install Ultimate SEO URL's !

balloons

Right, I have been told that I would be better off to use some sort of SEO to make my listings appear better to the search engines and to so internet explorer asking if you want to display secure and non-secure items when you go to log in securely!

I have downloaded ultimate SEO urls by chemo and reading the install guide it says it should take 3 minutes, well, I have to say its taking me ages and now I am stuck on the first part and am in need of some help yet again!

Forgive me my ignorance but here's the problem:

STEP 1 - Upload the included files

The files should be located in the upload directory of this contribution.

* includes/seo_cache.php should be uploaded to your *catalog*/includes directory

* admin/includes/reset_seo_cache.php should be uploaded to your *catalog*/*admin directory*/includes directory.

* admin/install-seo.php should be uploaded to your *catalog*/*admin directory* directory.

STEP 2 - Create a cache directory

I would suggest you create a directory *OUTSIDE* your webroot so people won't be able to modify or view the cache files.

Once you create the directory you need to change the permissions so the webserver can write to it. Using your favorite FTP client simply select the directory and choose "CHMOD" or "properties". Give all permissions (read, write, execute - 777) to the directory.

Remeber the FULL FILESYSTEM PATH to this newly created directory since you will need it to configure the contribution later. Write it down!

I am just a little confused as how to proceed! Am I right in saying that all I need to do is upload the files as stated by the * to the reletent folders on my oscommerce site?

I would love to say I know what he means by create a cache directory, but alas I do not and here is where I am stuck already! I am really not sure as to where I need to make a folder outside the root? Do I create a folder when I first login using my FTP or do I create a folder inside of www ?

I would be grateful for some help and apologise for not getting things straight off, so if anyone can help then I would really appreciate the help.

Cheers.

Right, I have been told that I would be better off to use some sort of SEO to make my listings appear better to the search engines and to so internet explorer asking if you want to display secure and non-secure items when you go to log in securely!

I have downloaded ultimate SEO urls by chemo and reading the install guide it says it should take 3 minutes, well, I have to say its taking me ages and now I am stuck on the first part and am in need of some help yet again!

Forgive me my ignorance but here's the problem:

STEP 1 - Upload the included files

The files should be located in the upload directory of this contribution.

* includes/seo_cache.php should be uploaded to your *catalog*/includes directory

* admin/includes/reset_seo_cache.php should be uploaded to your *catalog*/*admin directory*/includes directory.

* admin/install-seo.php should be uploaded to your *catalog*/*admin directory* directory.

STEP 2 - Create a cache directory

I would suggest you create a directory *OUTSIDE* your webroot so people won't be able to modify or view the cache files.

Once you create the directory you need to change the permissions so the webserver can write to it. Using your favorite FTP client simply select the directory and choose "CHMOD" or "properties". Give all permissions (read, write, execute - 777) to the directory.

Remeber the FULL FILESYSTEM PATH to this newly created directory since you will need it to configure the contribution later. Write it down!

I am just a little confused as how to proceed! Am I right in saying that all I need to do is upload the files as stated by the * to the reletent folders on my oscommerce site?

I would love to say I know what he means by create a cache directory, but alas I do not and here is where I am stuck already! I am really not sure as to where I need to make a folder outside the root? Do I create a folder when I first login using my FTP or do I create a folder inside of www ?

I would be grateful for some help and apologise for not getting things straight off, so if anyone can help then I would really appreciate the help.

Cheers.

I don't know what version you are trying to add but I've done this 100 times and I don't recognise much of that.

Download the first 2.1d as uploaded by Yesudo .. the instructions are clear and it'll work.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823

The title is just Ultimate SEO URLs - 2.1d

I take it I was trying to install an earlier version then?!

I followed your link and downladed the top version which it says is Ultimate SEO URLs 2.2.2e once it has uploaded to my computer.

Is this the right one I should be installing then? It seems to look easier to install.

Thanks for the help.

I take it I was trying to install an earlier version then?!

I followed your link and downladed the top version which it says is Ultimate SEO URLs 2.2.2e once it has uploaded to my computer.

Is this the right one I should be installing then? It seems to look easier to install.

Thanks for the help.

Download the first 2.1d as uploaded by Yesudo .. the instructions are clear and it'll work.

Hmm not quite what I recommended eh :D

By the looks of things I have downloaded another version!

The versions I have now downloaded are: v2.2 and 2.1

Does it matter which one I should install or does it not make any difference?

By the looks of things I have downloaded another version!

The versions I have now downloaded are: v2.2 and 2.1

Does it matter which one I should install or does it not make any difference?

You asked advice and I said 2.1d. You ignored me and downloaded another then asked again.

I'm confused as to what you wish me to say. :blink:

Sorry if I confused you babygurgles!

I went to the link that you provided and downloaded what I thought was the one you said to download which, but I found it not to be 2.1d, so I downloaded another and that was not 2.1d! It is all new to me so it was my mistake and my last post was just asking if I had found the right download thats all.

Anyway, I have had a closer look and have now downloaded 2.1d and shall try and install the one that you suggested and hopefully I will get that working with a minimum amount of fuss.

All I am after really is just help and advice as to how to install SEO's to make my listing look better and hopefully get rid of the view secure / non secure item menu that internet explorer pops up when I try to log in via internet explorer. With this all being new it is difficult to make sure I gt things right so sorry if I have confused anyone!

Cheers for the help it really is appreciated.

I am getting down to setting up Ultimate SEO 2.1d and am stuck so need some help!

I have been following the instructions included in the package and have got stuck on step 5:

If you don't have an .htaccess file in your catalog directory create one.

If your store is located in a DIRECTORY add this to the /*directory*/.htaccess file:

NOTE: you will have to edit the "directory" to match your directory name!

If your store is located in the root add this to the /.htaccess file:

I have no idea if I have a .htaccess file and how to create one if I need to create one!

Once over that hurdle step 6 says:

Run the following sql on your store database:

ALTER TABLE `categories_description` ADD `categories_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ;

ALTER TABLE `products_description` ADD `products_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ;

I have no idea how to do this either?

When I was changing the files on my site the site was not working so is that correct at all?

Thanks for any help and I apologise for not being quick on the uptake with this but I dont want to wreck my site and it is all pretty new to me!

I am getting down to setting up Ultimate SEO 2.1d and am stuck so need some help!

I have been following the instructions included in the package and have got stuck on step 5:

If you don't have an .htaccess file in your catalog directory create one.

If your store is located in a DIRECTORY add this to the /*directory*/.htaccess file:

NOTE: you will have to edit the "directory" to match your directory name!

If your store is located in the root add this to the /.htaccess file:

I have no idea if I have a .htaccess file and how to create one if I need to create one!

Once over that hurdle step 6 says:

ALTER TABLE `categories_description` ADD `categories_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ;

ALTER TABLE `products_description` ADD `products_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ;

I have no idea how to do this either?

When I was changing the files on my site the site was not working so is that correct at all?

Thanks for any help and I apologise for not being quick on the uptake with this but I dont want to wreck my site and it is all pretty new to me!

How are you currently viewing files on the server?

ALTER TABLE `categories_description` ADD `categories_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE `products_description` ADD `products_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL;

Not quite the file I recommended.

I said the FIRST file

It is called Ultimate SEO URLs - 2.1d

And not Ultimate SEO URLs - 2.1d with optional Admin settable Product and Category URLs

There is still a listening problem going on here balloons .. but I'm still helping .. JUST.

I do really appreciate the help babygurgles and apologise if I am driving you mad, believe me when I say it is not intentional.

Right, I have gone through the contributions and downloaded the file: Ultimate_SEO_URLSv21d with a release date of 25 nov 2006 by yesudo,now I am really am hoping that I have got the right file now!

As for viewing the files, I upload and download via winscp and modify the files on my machince via dreamweaver.

In the install with this version it still mentions .htaccess file and am still stuck as to how to do that.

Thanks for your patience!

I do really appreciate the help babygurgles and apologise if I am driving you mad, believe me when I say it is not intentional.

Right, I have gone through the contributions and downloaded the file: Ultimate_SEO_URLSv21d with a release date of 25 nov 2006 by yesudo,now I am really am hoping that I have got the right file now!

As for viewing the files, I upload and download via winscp and modify the files on my machince via dreamweaver.

In the install with this version it still mentions .htaccess file and am still stuck as to how to do that.

Thanks for your patience!

Ok firstly .. download conTEXT and edit files with that (it's free google it)

Secondly I've not used winscp but if you cannot see a file on the server called .htaccess in your catalog root then it must have a feature where you can "view hidden files" .htaccess is there but some servers (quite rightly) hide them from general view.

Find .htaccess (if you can't via winscp) if you can't then google filezilla download it as your ftp program and if you still can't see .htaccess click view>hidden files

I have downloaded conTEXT and filezilla.

I have also had a look on winscp and got it to show hidden files and found the .htaccess file under the public.html folder.

So to get this to work all I need to do is copy the new code into the files and then copy them across to the server then add the following to the .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /directory/

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-([0-9]+).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-([0-9]+).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-([0-9]+).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Do I put the code above or below the code that is in the .htaccess file as it does not say?

I have downloaded conTEXT and filezilla.

I have also had a look on winscp and got it to show hidden files and found the .htaccess file under the public.html folder.

So to get this to work all I need to do is copy the new code into the files and then copy them across to the server then add the following to the .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /directory/

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-([0-9]+).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-([0-9]+).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-([0-9]+).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Do I put the code above or below the code that is in the .htaccess file as it does not say?

below

And to save me typing the following post (last thread) is currently two under yours so read that first.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=293365&hl=

Well, I would love to say that its working a treat, but, it has all gone awry and now I cant even view my site!

I have put each of the files that had not been changed back onto my site and it still wont work and I just keep getting the message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_set_banner_status() (previously declared in /home/kyff5125/public_html/osc/includes/functions/general.php:698) in /home/kyff5125/public_html/osc/includes/functions/banner.php on line 15

Now I am not sure what I need to do to get the site up again!!!

Well, I would love to say that its working a treat, but, it has all gone awry and now I cant even view my site!

I have put each of the files that had not been changed back onto my site and it still wont work and I just keep getting the message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_set_banner_status() (previously declared in /home/kyff5125/public_html/osc/includes/functions/general.php:698) in /home/kyff5125/public_html/osc/includes/functions/banner.php on line 15

Now I am not sure what I need to do to get the site up again!!!

you have uploaded catalog/ADMIN/includes/functions/general.php

To ..catalog/includes/functions/general.php

Thank you so very much babygurgles thats done the trick!

I think I need to take a break and try again in the next few days when I am less stressed.

As you can now tell I am a complete novice but am trying my best to get things right, but as you have seen it is just a tad hard!

I will get there in the end hopefully and I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

Thank you so very much babygurgles thats done the trick!

I think I need to take a break and try again in the next few days when I am less stressed.

As you can now tell I am a complete novice but am trying my best to get things right, but as you have seen it is just a tad hard!

I will get there in the end hopefully and I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

Well done balloons, everyone on this forum was a novice at some stage.

I am again trying to install ultimate SEO's after having had a break!

Now when I go to the first step and change the application_top.php file and add this code to the file after //include the language translation:

// Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1

include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php');

if ( !is_object($seo_urls) ){

$seo_urls = new SEO_URL($languages_id);

}

I go to test my site and it does not work and I get this message: (I have blanked out my login with * in case anyone is wondering! )

Warning: main(../unchanged/includes/configure.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/********/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 30

Warning: main(../unchanged/includes/configure.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/********/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 30

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../unchanged/includes/configure.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/********/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 30

Now I would like to know if this is supposed to happen as you install the files or am I doing somthing wrong? After the mess up last time I am frightened to death that I am going to knacker up my site again. When all the files are changed and copied across does the site come back up?

Also, I am trying to work out the .htaccess file? On the install instructions it says I need to edit the .htaccess file in the catalog directory. If I go to www on my server I have a .htaccess file there but I am guessing that I need to have a .htaccess file in the osc part of the site? I have another two .htaccess files within osc, one in osc/includes and one in osc/admin, can anyone tell me if I need to make a new .htaccess file in www/osc or do I add the coding to one of the other .htaccess files?

I appreciate anyones help as I am finding this a bit of a struggle!

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of time away I am trying to again install ultimate SEO's, but am again slightly stuck and in need of some help!

I have changed all the files and uploaded them and then the site will not load, but if I put 'application_top.php' file back on the site unchanged the front page works but I get an error not found, but in the address the item is described as it should and in admin SEO urls now appears!

I can only assume that I am doing something wrong with the 'application_top.php' file but am not sure?

Can anyone help please?

I am still trying to figure this problem out!

If I change all the files and I go to my site I get this message:

Warning: main(../unchanged files/includes/configure.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/*****/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 30

Warning: main(../unchanged files/includes/configure.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/*****/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 30

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../unchanged files/includes/configure.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/*****/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 30

But if I upload the 'application_top.php' back unchanged everything works fine apart from the products and the categories!

Anyone got any ideas?

After a bit of time away I am trying to again install ultimate SEO's, but am again slightly stuck and in need of some help!

I have changed all the files and uploaded them and then the site will not load, but if I put 'application_top.php' file back on the site unchanged the front page works but I get an error not found, but in the address the item is described as it should and in admin SEO urls now appears!

I can only assume that I am doing something wrong with the 'application_top.php' file but am not sure?

Can anyone help please?

What are you using to edit your files?

I have downloaded context but find it much easier to edit the files using Dreamweaver.

It is set to show all files etc and seems to work fine.

Am just stuck as to what I am doing wrong?

I have downloaded context but find it much easier to edit the files using Dreamweaver.

It is set to show all files etc and seems to work fine.

Am just stuck as to what I am doing wrong?

There is no reason whatsoever for your application_top problem. It can't find includes/configure.php which has nothing at all to do with the SEO URL contributions.

SEO URLs is one of the easiest contributions to install, if you look at the modification for application_top ..

Find this code ..

// include the language translations
 require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '.php');

Directly AFTER add this ..

// Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1
include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php');
	if ( !is_object($seo_urls) ){
			$seo_urls = new SEO_URL($languages_id);
	}

There is just no room for an error there. I still suggest that you use a propper file editor as opposed to Dreamweaver.

I know what you are saying about ultimate SEO bring the easiest contributions to install, but I am still having probs!

I changed all the files using conTEXT and put them over to my. What I am getting now is that the main page opens correctly and if I click on say cart then it works ok, but if I click on a product or a category I get this message:

Not Found

The requested URL /product_info.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.39 Server at twilightballoons.co.uk Port 80

I changed the 'application_top' like you said and it now no longer screws up the site, but as to what I am doing wrong I have'nt got a clue!

I have tried re-doing all the files and re-installing them to make sure I have put things correctly but I still ge tthe same result. I have also trid the two versions on the .htaccess files but with the same results.

Can anyone clarify that I am changing the correct .htaccess file? The file I change is at: public_html/.htaccess Is this the correct .htaccess file?

Thanks for any help.

Archived