• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sandbox and Google Pagerank Questions

wargaming

Hi all, couple of questions i'm a bit stuck on

First off I read about a google sandbox and that new sites get put into this by google for upto 6 months after there launch to see if they can survive before google gives them a page rank and really starts listing them properly on organic searches,

Is this true and is there anyway of finding out if you have been taken out yet if true.

Also backlinks, on google toolbar it is still showing as my site has none but after sponsoring some relevant forums and trading links with a few relevant sites I know we do have some ( this was done around 2 months ago and i'm guessing thats enough time for google to know about them )

Page rank questions, my oscommerce install was installed in a sub folder so my store shows up as www.------.co.uk/store/index.php will this be an issue with getting a page rank for my site and does page rank really mean that much in google organic searches ?

we have meta tags installed and we also have SEO URLs installed after an issue with SEO-G, is there anything else I should look into installing to improve my SEO we are using google adwords at the minute to pull in most of our traffic we are getting around 200 hits a day with around half of that coming from adwords and a quarter coming from organic searches but after doing some searches of my own on our key products on google we are only showing up on page 20-25 not great as most people get bored by page 2.

We have submitted to DMOZ but I dont think we're showing yet, but i've read that can take a long time other than google and a submitance to yahoo we are a bit stumped as to what other things we can do to boost visits.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated cheers :)

steps to be taken:

1)google xml site map.

2)seo ultimate.

3)proper selection of key phrases(do not target keywords).

e.g rather then targeting "t-shirt" target "rich cotton t-shirts" as this will be more specific and less competitive.

Also the traffic conversion rate will be heavy.

4)Add some supertrekker type contrib to know what the visitors are looking on your site.

5)Make Sure You do have SSL.

6)Meat tags(header tags controller).

7)Kill spider session.

8)all products.

9)Quick search

to this add

category description.

plus there are many many ways.

If You have more then a 100 product organic search should alone result in more then a 100 hits.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Hi Satish thanks for the response couple of questions if you dont mind :)

What does killing spider sessions do ?

I have google analytics to know what people are looking at basically would you still recomend installed a contrib to do it, is it better ?

is "quick search" a contrib above the basic site search oscommerce install comes with ?

Also at the minute my store has around 2000 products would " all products " still be a good choice

First off I read about a google sandbox and that new sites get put into this by google for upto 6 months after there launch to see if they can survive before google gives them a page rank and really starts listing them properly on organic searches,

Is this true and is there anyway of finding out if you have been taken out yet if true.

This is not my experience at all . .get some good recognised (just sites that google indexes regularly) sites linking to you and you'll be fine.

Also backlinks, on google toolbar it is still showing as my site has none

Google does seem slow to recognise links in (not sure that backlinks is the right term as reciprocal links are a no no imo now)

Page rank questions

Ignore page rank it is virtually irrelevant in ranking terms now.

We have meta tags installed and we also have SEO URLs installed after an issue with SEO-G, is there anything else I should look into installing to improve my SEO

Satish answered this although I would personally go with cDynamic meta tags.

We have submitted to DMOZ but I dont think we're showing yet, but i've read that can take a long time other than google and a submitance to yahoo we are a bit stumped as to what other things we can do to boost visits.

The ideal is to have a link from a site that is content rich about the very subject that your page is about .. and that link having a related anchor .. hard work but achievable if you are motivated. Other than that get yourself listed on "decent" directories .. "decent" is a tough call sometimes but .. get yourself into a spam engine and you'll get problems.

What does killing spider sessions do ?

when a bot (e.g. googlebot) visits your site you do not want the bot to be given an osCsid(session) as it gives to a normal customer.

Why?

Because the bot will then index the osCsid along with the link .. this in turn means that searchers click on the bot link and because there is an osCsid they could (and will over time) login as a totally different customer with access to their info .. i.e. SPIDER SESSIONS OFF .. and .. ensure to keep catalog/includes/spiders.txt up to date.

Also set recreate sessions to true.

Thanks for the plain answers Robert i'll take a look at Cdynamic tags now, I refered to backward links as this is what google names them in there toolbar but I may be wrong, we've tried to stay away from our competitors usual rank sites and link pages and instead just sponsored relevant forums and sites as I did read a bit about "link farms" and that it was a no no for the search engines ( again I may have got this wrong ) :blush:

I did read a bit about "link farms" and that it was a no no for the search engines ( again I may have got this wrong ) :blush:

Nope entirely correct .. stear well clear of link farms and anyone who says "get you to the top quick"

Get it right nice and slow and you'll win .. try to cheat and (you may win short term) you will ultimately lose.

Same as everything in life . Hard work pays off! the cheats get penalised for being "cheats".

7)Killing spider sessions:

8)all products.

9)Quick search

to this add

category description.

On these points related to My previous comment:

7)There is allow session id for spiders in session in admin.YOu should set it so that session are not generated when a spider crawls.

SO that flag along with robots.txt takes care.

The logic is there is a list of spiders in robots.txt.

when any visitor comes the code cheks which browser variable and if listed in robots.txt

if the match is confirmed that it is treated as a spider.

So href function will not concatenate oscid provided You have set kill spider session to true.

A must else it will generate different url for same page create a duplicate page penalty issue.

Also there will be security issues if client use that session id.

All products:Spider like contents.You have lot of content in the data abse.Creat an all product page.This will result in lots of content for search engine and will rate You high.

Quick search: YOu can create a page names quick search where YOu place the search words in combination.

When auser clicks a search result is generated making it more user friendly.

For spider its a content and a page that is strong on key phrases.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Archived