• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sellers on Ebay going on strike Feb 18th

Due to the pending Selling and Buying Strike Beginning Feb 18th,this will be my last listing on eBay until, or if the new and recent changes eBay has announced regarding FEE INCREASES.

FEEDBACK CHANGES AND THE NEW PAYPAL RULES of with holding funds has been reviewed and abandoned.

My store is also going on vacation on Feb 17th, and may not reopen at all. Please take advantage of the bargins, I have most of the items on sale right now. eBay needs to return to a company that has a fair and equitable system for all. You may say well, these changes only effect SELLERS, that couldn't be any further from the TRUTH..

This effects us all.. SELLERS will have to pay higher fees, hence BUYERS will have to pay HIGHER PRICES.. So much for the fun bargain hunting venue we all have loved haunting for years.. Both Buyers and Sellers have already seen higher prices and increased shipping costs due to the changes that occurred not so long ago.. Plus the increased shipping costs with the USPS increases. This is only going to get worse.

This is also protesting the new Feedback system that is to go into effect in May. You buyers who have never been sellers may feel it's only fair that only you get to leave bad feedback, at least until you put it into perspective. Someday you may wish to become a seller, then things change drastically. You get duped and dumped on a few times, Non paying bidders, scammers etc. You'll then wish you'd supported us now, for your future and ours. Ebay has forgotten how they started. We are their base, we pay our fees even without any sales. Give it some thought and join the boycott, sign the petitions. If you look, you'll find many of your favorite sellers selling on other sites, you're bound to get good deals, the other sites don't gouge the way ebay is. PLEASE JOIN IN THE FIGHT NO BUYING OR SELLING STARTING FEBRUARY 18th

what are the fees up to now? when i sold my first item in 98 i believe it was 0.10 for the listing fee under 9.99

didn't they lower the listing fee, but hike the final value fee? which isn't necessarily bad... because some sellers like to list the same cd 10x over at the same time :)

that type of relisting over and over has made me search ebay less and less each day for stuff i want. i prefer to buy off actual webshops instead.

ebay also needs to do something about bootleggers. they hurt my line of business as well! (i don't sell on ebay anymore and haven't really, since around 02/03) due to these people.

Well - sounds to me like a very good opportunity to sell shopping cart based websites to disgruntled eBay sellers.

However, a good number of eBay sellers won't be going on strike because otherwise they'd have nowhere to sell their stolen or fake goods.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...
Well - sounds to me like a very good opportunity to sell shopping cart based websites to disgruntled eBay sellers.

However, a good number of eBay sellers won't be going on strike because otherwise they'd have nowhere to sell their stolen or fake goods.

Vger

that is a big problem.. the honest seller get screwed once again..that is all.

we sell used children's books.. but I know of the fake stuff.. how would you go about stopping it.. how do you stop it.. I just don't know.. do you..

have you tried Amazon or bidville or ola???

noppie

Fees and costs are just a part of doing business, if it costs you a few extra dollars a month increase your prices a few pennies.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

I'm afraid that eBay has a very bad reputation for fake and stolen goods being sold on their website, and an even worse reputation for pro-actively tackling it.

And as for Amazon - well their site can be a joke when it comes to sellers other than themselves. The sellers get rated according to the number of products they list, so you have this stupid situation where they upload thousands of products at ridiculous prices just to boost their rating. Recently I was looking for a new PC and tried amazon.co.uk - what a joke! They have thousands of PC's listed on there, refurbished models, selling for anything between £1500 and £4500 when the new product only costs £500-£600.

Vger

Ebay is just a bad model for retailing.

Imagine a gigantic store, where the customer and the cashier are both wearing Ronald Reagan rubber masks. The goods are all on display in fabulous low voltage lit chrome and glass shelves, but when you buy something you get it in a cardboard box, and can't open it till you've left the store.

The seller and the buyer both have baseball bats, and can if they want to take a swipe at each other. The cashier suspects the buyer will hit him anyway, so in anticipation gets in a good one across the buyers noggin, just as he's leaving.

Now, standing in the corner watching al this is a cop. He is tasked with making sure the customers and the cashier behave themselves. The problem is, he's paid according to how much stuff is sold in the store. If a bunch of drunk football fans wander into the store and start harassing other customers or the cashier, but the cashier is selling them stuff at the same time, he's going to turn a blind eye to it.

So, how long is this store going to stay in business?

Ebay are all over the place at the moment; on the one hand they're alianating sellers with these fee hikes, on the other, they're issueing profit warnings to investors citing new competition!

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure why we are discussing eBay here on the osC forum and asking to support the sellers, but oh well...

I think eBay went sour when it allowed people to setup "shops" and sell new items. eBay was originally meant to be a giant flea market/auction site. A place where people could sell their old crap to hopefully someone that wanted it.

I sell mostly plastic model kits, cars and trucks mainly, and I used to visit eBay in search of those old hard to find kits. I have gotten a lot of good deals shopping at eBay. But recently even the sellers that I kept in contact with are now getting fustrated because they can't get such big profits any more. They are trying to sell items for what it would cost from a hobby shop and complaining that eBay gets there cut, plus the cost of shipping has increased. Humm... Try opening an online shop and see where your profits go.

I tried to remind a few of those sellers that buyers are shopping eBay looking for the bargins. If they wanted to buy the kits at the regular price they would just go to an online hobby shop.

I recently bought my son a nice golf club setup off of eBay, it took me months before I was able to get a deal. Some of the clubs people were selling were so old and rusty I couldn't believe the price they were asking, if they were mine I would have scrapped them. Sure when brand new the set sold for $300 but now that it's 20+ years old and nasty, what makes them feel it's worth $275? <_<

Peronally I think eBay should dump the "shops" and go back to the people trying to sell their old basement or attic junk. People with the eBay shops should setup their own e-commerce site and maybe list an item or two for cheap.

After all, everyone knows eBay as Evil-Bay for a reason!

Just my 2 cents. :-

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Depending on the type of items you sell on ebay, you will either be positively or negatively affected.

Sellers with low number of high value items - new fees = bad

Sellers with high number of low value items - new fees = good

The typical item we list on ebay goes for about $12, and we have 120 or so listed at any one time. Since the fee change, our total monthly fees have been decreased by about $300. The free gallery really is nice :)

• 2 weeks later...
ebay? I haven't been there for years!

Did anyone expect a strike.

I do not use ebay for selling for a number of reasons, but the majority will just go along with what ebays says and does because if you are using ebay seriously you do not have much option.

Archived