• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Department Discount

Hi!

I'm working on a contribution which will allow for a per-department style of discount (ie, 10% off this week in manchester, 25% in electronics, etc.). It will also enable these discounts to work for specific customers or not (that's global at the moment, so you won't be able to have Customer A only get their discount in manchester, and Customer B in Electronics only... but I digress)

I've managed to get around 90% of the work done by using as templates the product_attributes, and creating a new table plus extending customer and products. However, I'm kind of 'stuck' at one point.

I don't want a logged in user to see a regular price AND the disccounted price, just the discounted price. However, where to put this? The call to currency->display_price seems to be around the most sensible place to put the logic to subtract the discount. However, this routine has now knowledge of the product_id or the customer_id, both of which are vital to apply and calculate the percentage (if applicable).

I'd appreciate suggestions as to where this extra code (the actual calculation) should go. I'm half of a mind to modify the display_price routine to accept a product_id and customer_id field, but that's obviously going to require re-writing each call of that function. So, before I completely break everything here, I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

CHeers,

Pete.