• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Independent SEO URL Validation

FWR Media

I was noticing my duplicate content was shriveling away because of the contribution. I had a lot of products that had the title reworded. I did make a few changes to the categories months ago. There are three different subcategories I moved to become top level categories for seo. Below would be an example of a duplicate content problem.

‎/dish-towels-computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ - original subcategory (link 1)

‎/computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ - link rewrites to this address (link 2) (seo validation rewrites link 1 to this)

‎/computer-paper-c-39.html‎ - correct link (link 3)

I am sure the first link will eventually become a 301 in google. However it will 301 to link 2 (incorrect). I had gone through the forum but did not see anyone with quite the same issue. I could have missed it. Thanks.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was noticing my duplicate content was shriveling away because of the contribution. I had a lot of products that had the title reworded. I did make a few changes to the categories months ago. There are three different subcategories I moved to become top level categories for seo. Below would be an example of a duplicate content problem.

‎/dish-towels-computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ - original subcategory (link 1)

‎/computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ - link rewrites to this address (link 2) (seo validation rewrites link 1 to this)

‎/computer-paper-c-39.html‎ - correct link (link 3)

I am sure the first link will eventually become a 301 in google. However it will 301 to link 2 (incorrect). I had gone through the forum but did not see anyone with quite the same issue. I could have missed it. Thanks.

validation will look at ‎/dish-towels-computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ and query SEO URLS for a fresh URL based on the cPath (136_39).

If /computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ is the link returned then validation will, quite correctly, 301 to this.

So i installed 2.5, didnt work, got the 404 error we've all seen a million times, then went back to 2.1 UPDATED, didnt work, still have the same 404 error. I've read through these posts and nothing seems to work for me..no idea why....i think its my .htaccess file. I have

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /catalog/

at the top of my .htaccess file. Should it be something different..i've tried so many different combos that it almost seems like its not it. I am getting the clean URL'S but my pages are not showing up.

This is the error. The requested URL /catalog/product_info.php was not found on this server.

Thanks for your help

Jeremiah

So i installed 2.5, didnt work, got the 404 error we've all seen a million times, then went back to 2.1 UPDATED, didnt work, still have the same 404 error. I've read through these posts and nothing seems to work for me..no idea why....i think its my .htaccess file. I have

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /catalog/

at the top of my .htaccess file. Should it be something different..i've tried so many different combos that it almost seems like its not it. I am getting the clean URL'S but my pages are not showing up.

This is the error. The requested URL /catalog/product_info.php was not found on this server.

Thanks for your help

Jeremiah

Have you got a winDOZE server? is your shop located like ..

www,mysite.com/catalog/?

validation will look at ‎/dish-towels-computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ and query SEO URLS for a fresh URL based on the cPath (136_39).

If /computer-paper-c-136_39.html‎ is the link returned then validation will, quite correctly, 301 to this.

The c-136 no longer exists as it was deleted many months ago.

-c-136_39.html - previous subcategory and category

HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

-c-39.html - current category

These two pages display the exact same category. If this is acceptable that's fine, I saw this in duplicate content a couple of times and didn't know if I missed something. If there is no rewriting it, should I perform a removal request?

The c-136 no longer exists as it was deleted many months ago.

-c-136_39.html - previous subcategory and category

-c-39.html - current category

These two pages display the exact same category. If this is acceptable that's fine, I saw this in duplicate content a couple of times and didn't know if I missed something. If there is no rewriting it, should I perform a removal request?

No it is not acceptable but neither is it a fault of SEO URLs or of validation.

Quite simply the oscommerce code allows you to "copy" a category, unfortunately it does not present a unique category path it uses the xxx_yyy which is of no use whatsoever except for making the categories links bold and providing Google with juicy duplicates.

Edited by FWR Media

Thanks. I'll go through the ultimate contrib again.

For any changes will le you know

Hi Again,

I have managed to find the problem, it was in the SEO URL function location and the code you said to add.

In any case, it seems that it works fine on the products but no so good with categories:

example:

1) mysite.com/category-name1-c-100.html

2) mysite.com/category-name1-c-765765_uyteuyte_9739_any number _873_100.html

#1 is the right one, while #2 should redirect me to 404 page; it doesnt.

With the products (product-name-p-100.html it does work.

I have cleaned the SEO cache, and disabled 301 redirect from the SEO contrib configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for this great contrib.

Installed contributions:

Ultimate_SEO, Article Manager 1.5, Dynamic SiteMap 2.0, Infopages, Google SiteMap XMl w/admin 2.1, HeaderTagControler 2.6.1, FCKosc 2.21, X-sell 2.3, Google Analytics Modul, All Products, Page Cache 1.5, EasyPopulate2.7d, Multi Product Manager 2.5, Define Main Page, and probably few others...

Hello,

I've been trying to get this running on an install all day but to no avail. I have read this board thoroughly but not found an answer - in fact, there have been some people with similar issues but none seem to have been publicly resolved.

> Environment

OSCommerce

Unix/Plesk/PHP5/MySQL 4

>SEO URLS - 2.1d ORIGINAL updated

Latest version of the validation mod.

Issue:

The site freezes in an infinite loop on this line in tep_validate_seo_urls, in general.php:

header("Location: $linkreturned"); // 301 redirect

If I replace $linkreturned with the root domain (index page) it resolves fine. If I replace it with:

header("Location: http://www.domain.com/product_info.php?pro..._id=125");

.. it doesn't resolve (infinite loop).

I have stripped htaccess down to the bare USU requirements, no difference.

I have searched the install for other header redirects, commented them out - no difference.

I have re-edited all the files, no difference.

Can anyone lend any assistance?

Edited by bluewebco

If I replace $linkreturned with the root domain (index page) it resolves fine. If I replace it with:

header("Location: http://www.domain.com/product_info.php?pro..._id=125");

.. it doesn't resolve (infinite loop).

I can't imagine what you have done but there is no solution here as there is no problem that I am aware of.

The way it works (very simple).

A url comes in, if it is an seo url validation queries the seo.class for a brand new url, if the two match validation passes it through. If the two don't match validation 301 redirects to the fresh seo url.

Hi,

Really appreciate the quick response.

I have just run the mod on a fresh site, it works - so I'm not doubting your competency or the potential of this contribution. I just can't work out what may be causing the conflict. Perhaps another mod that uses SEO urls.. Is there anything you think I might be able to do to bugtest or narrow this issue down in some way? Is there any way you could envisage a conflict occurring?

Many thanks,

Roland.

Hi,

I believe (fingers crossed) I've installed it correctly. How do I tell that all is right?

Thanks

lets say you have a url like ..

http://www.mysite.com/my-great-product-p-12.html

Try in your browser (find a real url to try with this not the above example) ..

http://www.mysite.com/-p-12.html - if it redirects to the real url it is working

also try ..

http://www.mysite.com/absolute-rubbish-p-12.html

If it redirects to the real url it is working.

Lastly try ..

http://www.mysite.com/my-great-product-p-9999.html

If you get a 404 page not found it's working.

Edited by FWR Media

lets say you have a url like ..

http://www.mysite.com/my-great-product-p-12.html

Try in your browser (find a real url to try with this not the above example) ..

http://www.mysite.com/-p-12.html - if it redirects to the real url it is working

also try ..

http://www.mysite.com/absolute-rubbish-p-12.html

If it redirects to the real url it is working.

Lastly try ..

http://www.mysite.com/my-great-product-p-9999.html

If you get a 404 page not found it's working.

Thanks, you're the best!

I tried the first 3 and they all worked but the last one did not. Any suggestions?

You can check it out http://www.rockprettybaby.ca

Thanks again!

Thanks, you're the best!

I tried the first 3 and they all worked but the last one did not. Any suggestions?

You can check it out http://www.rockprettybaby.ca

Thanks again!

In firefox the whole site just flashes on and off so it's impossible to test.

I asked this about the other PC builder.. pc pro creator.. but i was looking for a contribution to allow my customers to add items to a main item.

basically, i am selling images, but i would like to sell calendars that customers can create themselves.. basically they can take any other the "products" that i choose (those products being the images) and put them "in" the calendar and be charged the one price for the calender.. i would prefer to be able to use the existing images that are uploaded as products, but if i hav to create a separate "calendar gallery" i could do that too.

So.. Any ideas with this contribution?? its something i would REALLY love to be able to do, and it would have many many more uses than just calenders.. For instance, Package deals that the customrs create themselves.. for instance, choose 5 out of any of these 15 items for $12.00

Edited by lindsayanng

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

I asked this about the other PC builder.. pc pro creator.. but i was looking for a contribution to allow my customers to add items to a main item.

basically, i am selling images, but i would like to sell calendars that customers can create themselves.. basically they can take any other the "products" that i choose (those products being the images) and put them "in" the calendar and be charged the one price for the calender.. i would prefer to be able to use the existing images that are uploaded as products, but if i hav to create a separate "calendar gallery" i could do that too.

So.. Any ideas with this contribution?? its something i would REALLY love to be able to do, and it would have many many more uses than just calenders.. For instance, Package deals that the customrs create themselves.. for instance, choose 5 out of any of these 15 items for $12.00

Can't see why this post is in this support thread.

Hi There, perhaps someone can hep me with this contribution. Its about 2:30am and can't seem to figure it out by myself.

Basically:

If I Enable Seo URL validation, when I click on a category or product, my browser says:

Redirect Loop -Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

If I Disable Seo URL Validation, everything is fine.

- I have version Ultimate_SEO_21d_UPDATED

- I have Independent Seo Url Validation_v1.0.4

- I have SEO Header Tags

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

-Ricardo

Hi There, perhaps someone can hep me with this contribution. Its about 2:30am and can't seem to figure it out by myself.

Basically:

If I Enable Seo URL validation, when I click on a category or product, my browser says:

Redirect Loop -Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

If I Disable Seo URL Validation, everything is fine.

- I have version Ultimate_SEO_21d_UPDATED

- I have Independent Seo Url Validation_v1.0.4

- I have SEO Header Tags

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

-Ricardo

I solved it by going through the installation code, and i found that a simple "IF" added to ultimate SEO contrib in the past has effected the operation of this contrib (the change was where the code of this contrib was placed). I would suggest review the the specific installation (yet again...) and i hope it will help.

Edited by sukarya

Installed contributions:

Ultimate_SEO, Article Manager 1.5, Dynamic SiteMap 2.0, Infopages, Google SiteMap XMl w/admin 2.1, HeaderTagControler 2.6.1, FCKosc 2.21, X-sell 2.3, Google Analytics Modul, All Products, Page Cache 1.5, EasyPopulate2.7d, Multi Product Manager 2.5, Define Main Page, and probably few others...

Hi FWR,

Can you please take a look at my post, i really need your help with this one... ( Post #282, in this page).

Thanks.

Installed contributions:

I solved it by going through the installation code, and i found that a simple "IF" added to ultimate SEO contrib in the past has effected the operation of this contrib (the change was where the code of this contrib was placed). I would suggest review the the specific installation (yet again...) and i hope it will help.

Sukarya,

I wonder if this has anything to do with my issue. I first install Ultimate SEO V 2.5 by faaliyet. Then after installing Seo Url Validation_v1.0.4 and seeing it wasn't working I went and switch to Ultimate_SEO_21d_UPDATED because someone suggested to do that...still didn't work.

I looked over the codes again and it seems all good, but still not working.

Can you tell me specifically what changes you made

thanks

Ricardo

Installed ULTIMATE SEO URLS after install every thing loaded fine

after doing the validation_installer.php

and changing the files

catalog/includes/application_top.php

catalog/includes/functions/general.php

doing what the Independent SEO URL Validation

install. I am getting a error when testing to see if all is installed right

as outlined in the install page.

I am using the validation version by

ULTIMATE SEO URLS

by FWR Media version 1.0.2

This is what I do to get the error

I put this in the address bar of my browser

http://mysite.com//my-great-product-c-1.html (I replace mysite with my website name )

and change it to this

http://mysite.com//-c-1.html

and press enter the page that comes up has only a number 2 on the page in the upper left corner

and the url does not change am I doing something wrong ?

here is one of my urls

http://mosgifts.com/western-decor-c-22.htm...b47eb83f53f7275

should I still see the osCsid number after the install ?

the install says that the browser and the url should jump back to the correct value. This was a 301 redirect.

Been trying to fix and have read but have not found nothing to help

Thanks ahead of time

Ben

Hello,

I installed this contribution with ease. No errors appeared. However, I get errors in Webmaster Tools about too many redirects.

Also, I my category and product pages load very slow. It takes about 5 minutes to load. Maybe I've overlooked something

As a precaution, I turned this contribution off until I receive advice on what to do.

Thanks for reading.

This contribution is to be used with 2.1d original updated NOT other versions.

I won't be supporting issues related to the others.

HI FRW

I'v installed Ultimate_SEO_21d_UPDATED that sill work, until that point to register new user, it seems others in this board get same!

concretely is, seo.call.php don't insert the customer_id into table customers, customers_info and address_book

I try it with all cache enable or disable

This contribution is to be used with 2.1d original updated NOT other versions.

I won't be supporting issues related to the others.

Just in case the above message was for me, I did install 2.1d original updated

For some reason when I enable it, categories and product go into a REDIRECT LOOP

Any suggestion?

Before I installed this contribution, I had to set to FALSE the redirect option from 2.1d original updated in order for it to work, otherwise my old links show as "Product not Found"

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Ricardo