• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

United Parcel Service: errors

dilirum

United Parcel Service

We are unable to obtain a rate quote for UPS shipping.

Please contact the store if no other alternative is shown.

I have gotten this error in my shopping cart upon checkout (in checkout_shipping.php) sice installation of OSC. Searching the forum I've seen a couple people with the same error but didn't seem to fix it. Does anyone know what causes this? or even better a fix for it? Yes, UPS is enabled in my admin area. Any other suggestions? :D

I wish I could tell you. I am trying to work through the same thing. One thing that I can tell you is to be patient. Posting this again to a new topic, adter 3 or 4 have recently been posted, will not make the answer appear any faster. Better to post to an existing topic so that it is understood to the general public of the forums that many people are having the same problem. Also, by doing this, everyone will know the fix when the answer to the problem arises. Just my 2 cents. :)

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Yep, possibly the same problem, seems like it happens when things are extra busy on the UPS site near as I can tell based on some error codes and a call to UPS. Anyway, by no means a elegant solution, here, but here's what I did. It seems to work, I've yet to have another non-rated order or customer calling me about no rates. It's a hack to be sure, with little effort spent trying to really find the total correct solution, but at holiday time, a hack is better than nothing. And it did test out!

This is for the latest UPS driver for the new checkout procedure, I suppose it applies to the old as well, just possibly in a slightly different place. This gets rid of the RAVE message being returned some times from UPS.

Anyway, in catalog/includes/modules/shipping/ups.php...

Down in the upsGetQuote function...

Before this line:

$http = new httpClient();

I added:

$i = 0;

do

After the line:

$http->Disconnect();

I added:

$i++;

And finally, after the lines:

} else {

return 'error';

}

I added:

} while ($i < 10 && substr($body_array[0], -4) == '6920');

All this does is causes it to try UPS up to 10 times, the error 6920 seems to happen pretty quickly, so it still runs fast even when those errors are returned. I was able to test during one time of the day when every 5-10 times I would get the unable to rate error, and this still returned a valid rate, though it took 3-5 times through the loop typically.

Hope this is of help to someone, and yes, I know it's a horrible solution, but it does work for the error 6920's!

Steve

It gives the mesage you say you are getting. I posted this to the wrong thread. This fix is for those people who occassionally get the message that UPS can't be quoted. It is not for those who have some installation, modification, or other issue. Sorry for mis-leading you all on this thread!

Steve