• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Image contrib questions

Hey,

I have looked at several contribs, for image resizing and I can not figure out which one I need, I have searched the forums to no avail.

Here is the problem, I have 15864 products, with only 2500 pics.

for the rest I have manufacturers logos.

Pics are fairly decent size like 400x400 and the logos are small as they were downloaded from manufacture sites.

when fixed size is set in admin, the picures are turned into thumbnails and look fine, because they are all basically the same size.

but the logos are all different lengths and hights and they end up distorted and pixellated.

If I turn the fixed size to 0 and 0 in admin, then the logos look great but the picurs are full size in the product listing and under the whats new box, and so on and things look really bad.

as far as I know every contrib I have downloaded will require me to do massive amounts of photoshop work. and I would kinda like to finnish this thing this week.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Kirk

Do you have GD 2.1 compiled in PHP ? (Check phpinfo(); )

If so the best contrib is one that uses that to dynamically resize your producs... and save the result for next time.

Let me know if you have GD 2.1 and I'll search it for you in the contribs.

If there ever is a price for 'simple and efficient' this contrib deserves it!

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Hi there...

I understand what you're going through... I have myself more than 15.000 articles in a single database. I just came over some difficulties about updating all that...

About your pics size, if you wish to have a fixed known size why don't you break the pic code and leave only the php query for the name of the file? For the width and height, set your own custom values.

I just managed to put a dynamic technote in stead of the "Click To Enlarge" link... Obviously I don't have (yet) those >15.000 technotes. So I created a common technote with the pic and description of the product and a "no technote" message for those articles which don't have one.

I guess you could do something similar to your pics.

Paulo. 8)

Mattice,

Ok, I assume you mean os commerce release 2.1 when you say gd2.1, I am running 2.2, on a linux redhat 7.3 server, using the default version of apache and mysql that came on the linux cd.

Pica, I do not know what a technote is.

Thanks, For being fast

About technotes...

When I check for a product online, I find it useful to have its "technote" allowing me to better choose between one or another product.

For example, for a typical customer, what is the difference between motherboard A and motherboard B ?

With a technote, clients can see various technical details about that product : performance, restrictions, ...

For example, for motherboards, I have specific technotes indicating what kind of memories it supports (pin, voltage, frequency...) as well as processors (Intel, AMD... Celeron or Pentium...). Or on digital cameras : how many pixels : 2.5 million or 4.0 million...

How can one compare between two similar products at different prices, without knowing its details?

I find it useful... and I hardly buy anything without checking its technote before.

Voila...

Paulo.

No no... I mean GD 2.1 ... its a graphic library that can be build into PHP.

Make a script called phpinfo.php like this:

<?php

// show all php's internal settings and more

phpinfo();

?>

and call it in your browser:

http://www.yoursite.com/phpinfo.php

Then look for GD compile settings.

The version of osCommerce 2.2 is good by the way although it has nothing to do with GD the contrib was written for 2.2

Don't forget to remove the phpinfo file as it shows some sensitive info too.

Let me know

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I find it useful... and I hardly buy anything without checking its technote before.

I sure hope you don't do too much grocery shopping on the net :D

Ok, Sorry, I assumed it was a programming term or something,

pica said:

About your pics size, if you wish to have a fixed known size why don't you break the pic code and leave only the php query for the name of the file? For the width and height, set your own custom values.

Wouldn't this be the same as setting the fixed size to 0 in admin, as this turns of the sizing?

This works great for the logos, but the pics of the products are to big and it would take me three months to make 2500 thumbnails.

If I could make os commerce ignore the fixed size for the logos but still apply them to the actual pics, I would have my problem solved.

as I said I have looked at contributions, but I hate to have to install 4 or 5 of them just to see if they would do what I want.

oh ok, I saw this in a few contribs, one was specifically for windows, so I left it allone talking about glib.dll or something, I will check and be back soon though.

Thanks,

This works great for the logos, but the pics of the products are to big and it would take me three months to make 2500 thumbnails.

About 2 minutes with any batch resize graphics program....

here's a nice freeware one:

www.irfanview.com

ok, That is the same as server info in admin, I wouldnt think that such a small script could do so much! PHP is Rockin, I think I an going to give up the java and asp stuff for the most part and focus on learning this.

anyways, this is what I got.

GD Support enabled

GD Version 1.6.2 or higher

FreeType Support enabled

FreeType Linkage with freetype

JPG Support enabled

PNG Support enabled

WBMP Support enabled

I understand... and believe me, I'm not willing to do that myself either for thousands of articles.

What I did for the technote-thing was to create a specific directory (and define it in application_top.php).

I have a piece of code in my popup_details.php file which looks if the specific technote-file exists... I guess you could do something similar by separating logos and images into 2 directories.

With that kind of code, you would check IF a specific product picture exists and apply the code with specific size for the product's picture.

ELSE, you would show the manufacturer's logo from the second directory with its specific logo-size.

That's just an idea... :wink:

Paulo.

ok, That is the same as server info in admin, I wouldnt think that such a small script could do so much! PHP is Rockin, I think I an going to give up the java and asp stuff for the most part and focus on learning this.

anyways, this is what I got.

GD Support enabled  

GD Version 1.6.2 or higher  

FreeType Support enabled  

FreeType Linkage with freetype  

JPG Support enabled  

PNG Support enabled  

WBMP Support enabled

Ahhh... too bad.

The contrib makes use of 2.1 or higher. If you have a system administrator ask him/her to upgrade for you, or try it yourself (not that hard actually) well worth it on a site that large (image wise) It will automagically set the image to whatever size you call in the site... so you can even do 4 or 5 different sizes without any pain whatsoever.

ok, That is the same as server info in admin

Oh.. shoot. I ripped that out.. sorry. But at least you've just written a php script. :)

Ok, Well I am My own system administrator, I have two dns servers, 1 mail server, and 2 iis servers, and now a apache server dedicated to this one os commerce site. I can use windows2000, iis, asp, and so on blindfolded, but I am somewhat new to the unix, mysql, and php world.

If you would kindly point me to the 2.1 download, I assume it is on php's website, I will download it and install it. I think I can handle that with no poblems as long as it has a few instructions with it.

You people to fast, I had three more posts, before I could finish my one post

Thanks, For the help

Okay... that's cool. GD / PHP is a powerfull combi, not just in the resize scenario.

Boutel are the guys that create GD:

http://www.boutel.com/gd/

but you might want to read

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php

first since you'll need to install some optional font rendering libs first.

(Which is a breeze with Redhat's RPM system... rpm -ivh whatever.rpm)

Regards,

Mattice

Look at www.it-sells.de/default.php

There is a dynamic image-upload which uploads 7 different images at once and makes 3 different sizes from the products_image and uses only one column in the database for it.

Then the otherimages are extra for the product or as a gallery. The are resized within the upload, too and each size parameter for each picture is free defined.

There are not much option left open. :wink:

xtcommerce Templates

And this is my new coding project. A multilingual sitesearch for online stores. Have a look at the search field left in the navbar:

WWW.BE-INSHAPE.DE Proteinpulver, Aminosäure Liquids and Supplements for Bodybuilding and Fitness

It finds all the ingredients like amino acids, carnitin and proteins if you don't know how to spell. In realtime...

Sorry, the link was not complete.

This should lead you to the Demo

http://www.it-sells.de/product_info.php/pr...products_id/245

xtcommerce Templates

And this is my new coding project. A multilingual sitesearch for online stores. Have a look at the search field left in the navbar:

WWW.BE-INSHAPE.DE Proteinpulver, Aminosäure Liquids and Supplements for Bodybuilding and Fitness

It finds all the ingredients like amino acids, carnitin and proteins if you don't know how to spell. In realtime...