• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Free SHipping Fee for select Categories or select Products

worldtrav9

Hi Michelle,

I posted my comments to my install to your earlier post. I will keep my flat rate schedule. My customers like. This free shipping doesn't work correctly for all situations.

It is also important to note I found another flaw ----- If I set up the free shipping module to apply for all product items and it is free shipping if $50 or more (for example) the module INCLUDES the shipping cost -- so --- hypothetically -- if someone buys $41.05 of products and SH is $8.95 for a total including SH of $50 the free shipping module kicks in when it should not --- it should be based on total of products without shipping.

I do plan to move to weight based --- too complicated --- my customers do not want it ....

Also ..... my customers do order products at the same time they buy a gift certificate or make a workshop reservation. So, my systems needs to meet a lot of variables.

This free shipping module has flaws. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Darn.

Lana

added note --- my apology -- I meant I do NOT plan to move to weight based shipping.

I'm not convinced that this couldn't be made to work. (2 negatives in one sentence. there's something wrong with that). I'm going to sleep on it and see if the answer comes to me.

I agree that my customers like to know the shipping in advance. Which is why I'm reluctant to abandon my $ based table. However, even with this module installed, and my table still enabled, I can offer my customers 2 choices at checkout. If they choose not to go with free shipping, I would upgrade them to Priority or maybe include a little bonus gift.

Here is a screenshot of the shipping option at checkout with this FreeAmount module active:

(I edited the freeamount.php in the languages folder to change the verbage):

shippingMethod.jpg

The part about "for decals only" is really unnecessary, because this option only shows up if they have only decals in their shopping cart. I may make some changes if I keep the mod.

I'm going to mull this over. We definitely are facing the same dilemma! I'll let you know if a solution comes to me!

Michelle

Edited by mimimc

It is also important to note I found another flaw ----- If I set up the free shipping module to apply for all product items and it is free shipping if $50 or more (for example) the module INCLUDES the shipping cost -- so --- hypothetically -- if someone buys $41.05 of products and SH is $8.95 for a total including SH of $50 the free shipping module kicks in when it should not --- it should be based on total of products without shipping.

Wow. This is strange. I was just about to explain how I had my table set up to only offer free shipping once the customer spent $100. I just discovered that it is offering free shipping when the order gets $100 including shipping.. I didn't think it was doing that before, so I turned off the FreeAmount module and my table module is still calculating that way.

This is enlightening. I can't believe I didn't notice it until just now. I don't think it has anything to do with this new module though. There must be a setting that can be adjusted.

Well, Sorry to post 3 times in a row. The window to edit is too dang short!

Anyway, Lana, I think I've figured out the mystery. You can see there is another active thread about Free Shipping being miscalculated.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1020800

You can see that someone suggests that when testing your own system, it is adding state sales tax, which drives the total up over $100. I immediately went in and changed my "ship to" address to an out of state address, and voila! The free shipping disappeared.

I didn't read far enough through the thread to see how to change those settings. It's not a biggy for me, since most of my customers are out of state. And "in-state" customers are usually cheaper to ship to, even via Priority Mail.

This may be what's happening with your cart?

Edited by mimimc

Well, I've mulled this over and over. And the more I think about it, the more I think that what I am looking for is a very complicated bit of programming.

Basically I'm saying I want one type of product (decals) not to count when it comes to the order total. That the price of the decals does not get added into the order total, when the cart is calculating shipping. That's complicated enough right there.

But to make it worse: What if a customer is trying to reach the "Free Shipping" threshold (mine is $100) and so they add a few stickers, just to get the number up to $100. They are not going to be happy to find that "decals don't count." So, then I'm going to want the price of the decals included in the total?

It's too complicated. It's not going to work. I could pay a programmer for custom code but I don't see how it's even possible to accomplish such a thing.

The only solution I can see is to switch to weight-based table or to the USPS Shipping Module. I just hear about so many people complaining that the module is miscalculating. I don't have much confidence in it.

I was going to try the Monika Mathe modification, but I'm pretty sure it's going to have the same effect.

Thank you, Robert, for taking the time to let me test this out. I really appreciate you sharing the code with us.

Michelle

Edited by mimimc

My pleasure. Just sorry it didn't help you all.

• 5 months later...

Hi Robert,

Any chance I can get a hold of that modification? I am trying to do a free shipping module over a certain price, except for certain products. Seems all I would have to do is reverse your logic to disclude the items by comma list.

• 1 year later...

Here you are guys.

I quickly packaged some files I made for a client.

It is based on the ages old freeamount contribution, however it has beed doctored to work with ..

MySQL5 (STRICT TRANS TABLES)

PHP5

It allowes you to ..

1) Turn on product inclusion in admin

2) add a comma seperated list of product_ids to offer free shipping for .. e.g..

No comma at start or end.

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but then again it might.

Important:

Before uploading the language file please read it as it was set up for a UK client. You may not want your customers to see "2nd class post" etc so change as needed.

Also if you have no intention of offering its standard free shipping features set the weight higher than your products.

I won't leave this attachment up here so if you are going to download it please do so now.

I am looking for this contribution. If any one has it please upload or post a link. I need to select items that are not eligible for free shipping using the freeamount base.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I've tested this contribution, seems to be working quite well.

However, I noticed one problem I'm trying to fix.

I have products in CAT1, and CAT1 offers free shipping for all products in CAT1 - Works great.

However, I can't get Free shipping to work if I add products from CAT1 and CAT2 ( Free shipping is not allowd for the products from this CAT2 ) both at a time in my cart.

Any ideas?