• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which SEO contrib? redirects needed..

adiwillow

Hi all, i'm about to ditch my current ultimate SEO mod, as the redirects never worked and i dont like the way the pages are still accesible by altering any of the wording on the url.

eg

/garden-fountains-c-15.html

goes to exactly the same page as

/arse-biscuits-c-15.html

So, i need a decent SEO url's mod, which returns a 404 if ever the page cannot be found (deleted category for example), or a 301 if the name has been changed (renamed category).

any suggestions?

Hi all, i'm about to ditch my current ultimate SEO mod, as the redirects never worked and i dont like the way the pages are still accesible by altering any of the wording on the url.

eg

/arse-biscuits-c-15.html

So, i need a decent SEO url's mod, which returns a 404 if ever the page cannot be found (deleted category for example), or a 301 if the name has been changed (renamed category).

any suggestions?

you might have a look at SEO-G (I am not sure it does what you what, but i seem to remember that the latest version has a redirect function)

Edited by toyicebear

yep i've seen SEO-G and i must admit its the favourite.. just hard to tell if it did the 404's etc..

The 404 and 301 redirects are massively important to any e-commerce site i think, with the way the products and titles change regularly.. i hope SEO-G does this :)

404's are a function of the server, not a script in your shop. You just need to create a 404 file and upload it to your root to fix that problem. As for your original problem, I don't see how you can two products with the same number since that would not be valid. I suspect what you mean is that any product name can be used as long as the number is the same. I uploaded a fix for that in the Ultimate SEO contribution section. It works for most sites I think but I haven't followed up on it. That may be what you need though.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

just installed your addon to ultimate seo on another site.. can i ask though is the mod search engine friendly? ie does it tell the search engines that may have an incorrect url indexed that this is a permanent redirect?

Edited by adiwillow

just installed your addon to ultimate seo on another site.. can i ask though is the mod search engine friendly? ie does it tell the search engines that may have an incorrect url indexed that this is a permanent redirect?

Yes, all versions of Ultmates SEO provide 301's.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, all versions of Ultmates SEO provide 301's.

Jack

Hi, I've been searching the forums and this thread seems to be the closest to my current problem. When I delete a product I am not getting the 404 Page Not Found Error, I am getting "This item is temporarily out of stock" instead, you know, the message when an item is just out of stock. I do have Ultimate SEO's installed and I would like to get the 404 instead. Google is just not dropping my old links because of it :-( Any ideas?

Thank you.

Log Cabin Fever Gifts

Hi, I've been searching the forums and this thread seems to be the closest to my current problem. When I delete a product I am not getting the 404 Page Not Found Error, I am getting "This item is temporarily out of stock" instead, you know, the message when an item is just out of stock. I do have Ultimate SEO's installed and I would like to get the 404 instead. Google is just not dropping my old links because of it :-( Any ideas?

Thank you.

If you're getting an out of stock item, the code is finding the product somehow. May it is in cache, if you have that enabled. You could try turing off Ultimate SEO for a quick test to see if the product can still be found.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If you're getting an out of stock item, the code is finding the product somehow. May it is in cache, if you have that enabled. You could try turing off Ultimate SEO for a quick test to see if the product can still be found.

Jack

Thank you Jack. I did try as you suggested with no luck. My page cahing is not turned on, it stays on false. I would sure like to get this straightened out. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Log Cabin Fever Gifts

When you turned off Ultimate SEO, did the link to the product work the same way (saying product is out of stock)? If so, the url will give the id of the product. Go into the database via CPanel and look at the id's in the product and products description table. It may be that the product was only deleted from one of them for some reason.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

When you turned off Ultimate SEO, did the link to the product work the same way (saying product is out of stock)? If so, the url will give the id of the product. Go into the database via CPanel and look at the id's in the product and products description table. It may be that the product was only deleted from one of them for some reason.

Jack

I checked the database and it is gone from product_ID and product_description (I only checked one product ID number but there are MANY :-) that have been deleted but still showing the out of stock.

It seems it must be cached somewhere (as you said) but I can't find where. I turned off caching in SEO URLs and delete cache files in Page Cache Settings, Enable Page Cache is set to false (as always), Use Cache is set to false as well... is there somewhere else to empty caches maybe?

Kim

Log Cabin Fever Gifts

No, I can't think of anywhere else. If you know the details of one of the products you might try searching for them in the database. So if one of the products had a description with "cabin" in it, try searching on that and seeing what turns up. Obviously, the more unique the search term is, the better the chance of finding something. You should also do a repaid on the database while you are in there - it won't hurt and may fix it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, I can't think of anywhere else. If you know the details of one of the products you might try searching for them in the database. So if one of the products had a description with "cabin" in it, try searching on that and seeing what turns up. Obviously, the more unique the search term is, the better the chance of finding something. You should also do a repaid on the database while you are in there - it won't hurt and may fix it.

Jack

I checked the database, did a search and it only came up in 2 tables. holding_orders_products and orders_products (I deleted those) Repaired all tables and it didn't help.

I am getting the item out of stock for deleted categories too. They have to be somewhere!!! :-) I think you were right about caches... Will it hurt anything if I turn every type of cache off in admin for a few minutes to see if it will clear them?

Thank you for your suggestions! I really do appreciate your time and help

Sincerely,

Kim

Log Cabin Fever Gifts

jack.. just a quick one if you can help..

All url's etc are working fine on the site, and your redirects work great if you get the url wrong or change names etc. But, the rewrites from the old cName system arent quite working right.

I was originally using cName for my old url's, but when clicking through from an old link the old url's are getting rewritten as follows:

domain.com/index.php?cName=surveyors-ladders (example)

doesnt seem to work right.. the url gets rewritten as

domain.com/?cName=surveyors-ladders

ie it just removes the index.php, and the page shown is the index page.. obviously this is going to cause me probs.. heres my htaccess..

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[^/]*/index\.php [NC]

RewriteRule . / [R=301,L]

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-([0-9]+).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-([0-9]+).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-([0-9]+).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-([0-9]+).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING

Any ideas?

Edited by adiwillow

eg

/arse-biscuits-c-15.html

any suggestions?

i thought i was the only one who noticed this...so annoying