• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best way to replicate your store to test stuff out ?

amitxox

Hi guys,

What is the best way to replicate a version of my store so that I can test stuff out ? I basically want to create a test version where I can try out new things and contributions or upgrades without disrupting my live store. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Amit

Hi guys,

What is the best way to replicate a version of my store so that I can test stuff out ? I basically want to create a test version where I can try out new things and contributions or upgrades without disrupting my live store. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Amit

I have an extra development site on another host, but have found WAMP to be very useful also. Google WAMP and check out their home server setup, it's pretty nice. Some people prefer XAMPP, but for me WAMP is easier to use.

Wamp or Xampp

Using the tools I have in my sig block I create a test site on my pc,

Use subversion to take snap shot before/after every contribution is installed.

File zilla to upload to server

If you can find a copy of Novell netdrive 4.1 you can even make your web site a drive on your pc.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I have an extra development site on another host, but have found WAMP to be very useful also. Google WAMP and check out their home server setup, it's pretty nice. Some people prefer XAMPP, but for me WAMP is easier to use.

hi guys,

i set up the WAMP. now to replicate the store is there a step by step process . for eg. how to copy the files on to the webserver and the database . please do let me know.

thanks

amit

where did you create the test directory and r you using WAMP also? How do you use .htaccess. I am sorry but I am new to this.

When I tried to import my sql database (using phpmyadmin) after creating backup using the control panel it gave me an error with one of the tables in the database some stupid address book error. Is there any other way to replicate this ?

Thanks

Amit

I created a test directory and copied everything in there. Duplicate the db and change the configure files. I secured the test directory with .htacces.

As you are hosting your test site on your local pc, if you make sure it is not open to the world at large you do not need to worry about .htacess files.

But it is worth searching the forum as there are some good threads on this subject.

Those stupid error messages are telling you what is wrong wit h what you are doing.

Read them

Act on what they say

Google them

One tip is to edit you file and drop all the comment records down to the first if exist drop or create table lines.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

but the database is working fine on the live store and this is the error message i am getting when i try to import it to my pc for WAMP.

Error
SQL query: 

--
-- Table structure for table `address_book`
--
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `address_book` ;

MySQL said:  

#1046 - No database selected 

As you are hosting your test site on your local pc, if you make sure it is not open to the world at large you do not need to worry about .htacess files.

But it is worth searching the forum as there are some good threads on this subject.

Those stupid error messages are telling you what is wrong wit h what you are doing.

Read them

Act on what they say

Google them

One tip is to edit you file and drop all the comment records down to the first if exist drop or create table lines.

Archived