• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

By-Pass a screen?

diyAUDIOsupply

I have a site selling home theater cables and in the left nav column I have audio, video, and pro audio categories. When I click on any of those categories, like audio for instance, up comes the different audio cables available. This happens on the body to the right of the nav column. When I click one of the audio cable types listed in this section the body changes to the appropriate audio cable. In that box is a pic of the cable and two buttons, one for "details" and the other for "add to cart", but in order for me to see the options and details of that cable I must click the details button, which FINALLY sends me to the full product description and options.

I would like to retain the way the catalog displays all of the different audio cables in the body when I choose "audio Cables" on the nav bar, but I would prefer that when I click on any of those available categories of audio cables in the bodysection that I go DIRECTLY to the details page of that cable instead of being sent to an intermediate page with only a pic and the two buttons for "details" and "add to cart."

Is this possible??

Cheers,

David

I see from the URL you sent me that you have made each product a category in its own right. Move all of the Audio Cables DIRECTLY into the parent Audio Cables folder & do the same thing for the products in Video Cables & Pro Audio Cables. Once you've done this go to Product Listing in the Configuration menu and make the value of Display Buy Now column to '0'. You could do the same to Display Product Price. This way, when a customer selects Audio Cables from the Categories box they see all the products in that category but don't see the Buy Now button or price unless they click on a product.

I hope this helps.

I did what you suggested and it did in fact work but now when I click on audio cables in the navigation bar I won't get the drop down sub categories. Or in this case the products under the audio category in the nav column. I would like to retain this aspect if I could. I also like the larger pics that can accompany the product description when I have it the other way.

I am probably asking too much of the shopping cart I suppose.

David

I did what you suggested and it did in fact work but now when I click on audio cables in the navigation bar I won't get the drop down sub categories. Or in this case the products under the audio category in the nav column. I would like to retain this aspect if I could. I also like the larger pics that can accompany the product description when I have it the other way.

I am probably asking too much of the shopping cart I suppose.

David

No, you're not asking too much of the cart. It's a design issue with the template you're using. You change the size of images in Configuration/Images admin side and I think(?) the layout can be found in catalog/includes/functions/product_listing.php

Sorry about the earlier mistake with the PMs, David. :-"

No, you're not asking too much of the cart. It's a design issue with the template you're using. You change the size of images in Configuration/Images admin side and I think(?) the layout can be found in catalog/includes/functions/product_listing.php

Sorry about the earlier mistake with the PMs, David. :-"

You sound like you know what you are doing? Thank you for the help.

Like most on this board I suppose, I am just trying to get my site up and running. But I would like to know a good starting point to better understand what I am doing. I purchased a template from a site and it generally fit our layout goals but having a more thourough knowledge of PHP and CSS would be a great help.

Could you point me in the right direction? I know the CS2 web bundle I have is way more powerful than I understand right now but anything you could suggest to shorten my learning curve would awesome!!!

Cheers,

David

Could you point me in the right direction? I know the CS2 web bundle I have is way more powerful than I understand right now but anything you could suggest to shorten my learning curve would awesome!!!

Cheers,

David

Sorry for the late response, David. I've been busy. Quickest way for the steep learning curve you want is the KNOWLEDGE BASE.

I hope this helps

Archived