• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is needed for customers to purchase with credit cards

JustinHo

I'm a newbie to OsCommerce and this is my first post. I've played around with OsCommerce for a couple of weeks and I've been able to install it, setup SSL, and modify the look to the way I want it thanks to all the posts on the forum.

Now I would like to actually sell products allowing customers to use their credit cards to purchase products. I don't want them to be sent to another site such as paypal to enter their information...I would like it to be done on my site. My question is how do I go about this and what do I need? There appears to be many options such as Authorize.net, psigate etc... that I can install from the admin tool. Once I install them do I go to Authorize.net to create an account and is that it?

Basically I'm looking for a very easy to understand explanation of what is needed i.e. a Merchant account, Bank account followed by a step by step process of how to integrate in OsCommerce. Also if you can tell me what is the cheapest/easiest solution that would be great.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Justin

I love a brave man. (in the admiration sense)

Have you researched the new regs for web sites handling cc details?

google

oscommerce pci compliant

This gave

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=266802

will give you some food for thought

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• 2 weeks later...
Basically I'm looking for a very easy to understand explanation of what is needed i.e. a Merchant account, Bank account followed by a step by step process of how to integrate in OsCommerce. Also if you can tell me what is the cheapest/easiest solution that would be great.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Justin

Justin,

Four things are needed. A Credit Card processor, I used MerchantPlus. A gateway, usually provided by the processor. A Credit Card service bureau, I used Authorize.net. And a matching OSC payment module, In my case Authorize.net. I spent a lot of time researching this when I decided to accept Credit Cards because I have a fairly low volume store and wasn't sure if the costs would justify the service. The lowest total cost I could find was with MerchantPlus and Authorize.net at $34.99 per month and I think 1.4 to 1.9 % per transaction. If you have a large volume, you may get a lower rate.

I stopped accepting Credit Cards after I got hit with a $400.00 charge back for a Customer who just wanted to borrow a watch to impress his friends while on vacation. It doesn't matter how clear you make your return policy statement, some Credit Card companies will allow their customers to charge back anything, CitiBank is notorius for this according to my Authorize.net agent. End of my rant.

I don't know about the other payment modules, but with Authorize.net Consolidated v1.7, no credit card info is ever on your site. It's with the processor only.

Hope this helps some,

CatDad

Since no CC info is stored in the DB, how do you handle credits, i.e. for returned merchandise?

You can usually loginto your admin account at the payment gateway to refund transactions...