• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ford Trucks ROCK

live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site. Not only is the osCommerce solution being used, but valuable feedback will also be presented by the osCommerce community.

If you come across a post not related to an osCommerce powered live store, the live store not having the "Powered by osCommerce" text, or the live store breaking the forum rules of presenting osCommerce related services (eg, web hosting), please report it so it can be deleted.

Not sure what your beef is proflow - the "Powered by osCommerce" text is clearly visible in the footer on the main page.

Not sure if it is STS or not, fractalpua, but it is some sort of template. I saw a similar site earlier tonight, with a slight color variation.

not much a fan of fords anymore, but the site is very well-done. :thumbsup:

the "Welcome to Ford Trucks ROCK!" next to the category name(s) doesn't need to be on every page.

maybe do an if statement and switch it off for when you're not on the index page.. span the category title to fill that box when on anything else.

the overall layout does look familiar, similar layout to a lot of those dildo sites. but the photos and colors were customized enough so that it wouldn't put me off from purchasing.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

In regards to the "Welcome to Ford Trucks Rock"... I would actually agree with this statement. I kind of put this last min. in only because friends of mine who "logged in" said they couldn't tell if they logged in or not and the "welcome to ford trucks rock" phrase changes to "welcome whoever". Any event the placement is a bit odd but I wanted somewhere the viewer would see they had logged in and if you know how I can change up the "welcome" phrase it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the dildo comment I don't know whether to get excited or upset. So I'll just leave it as confused :huh:

To answer everyones question on everyones minds. Yes, it is a template but if you think about it, isn't downloading osCommerce just another free template? After all these templates are all based off of the "original" template anyway.

Thanks again for the comments! Keep em comin... no pun intend :-"

I like this website a lot. How long did you spend on this? How many people worked on this?

If possible, could you let me know the template you were using for that?( I don't need the ford icon as I am interested in setting up an electronic shop in China...)

Any New comments please? :thumbsup:

Particularly, how did you make those nice pictures? I hope that I can get some tips from you...

It took me three months to get to this point. As for how many people are working on it.... It's just yours truly.

As for the pictures, they were provided from my manufactures and various sources. Any of the ads and some different parts of this site were designed by me. I enjoy design much more than programming. I get crossed eyed looking at code. :blink:

But thanks for the comments. Anything needs improving? I think I'm set to go live "officially" anyway.

Thanks all!

What browser and version are you using?

Internet Explorer?

What operating system are you on? Windows Mac Linux?

I'll fix it but I need to know what your seeing.

Just to let everyone know, he used....

http://www.freetemplatesonline.com/templates/57_50.html

Absolutely free template...

Q-Tonium, I'm usually not a big fan of this template, but you made it turn out quite nice. Congrats.

Where did you get your credit card contribution? I love the look of the cards / paypal....and wouldn't mind using it myself.

A couple suggestions.

Welcome to Ford Trucks Rock...should be displayed only on homepage. I think a different mini picture of a ford truck would look better than than the same truck everywhere....Im talking about the Home, Catalog, My Account, Shopping Cart, and Checkout Section with the same little truck next to all of those.

A better main logo could be created in the near future...talk to me if ya need help on this. I like how it's and plain....but it could be eye-catching.....so when people stop by there like WOAH! That's kool.

Good use of SSL Secure logos...I feel safe :D

Your footer is a MESS!! clean it up please.

That's about all I saw....take care.

~Parker F Lukjanovs

Just to let everyone know, he used....

http://www.freetemplatesonline.com/templates/57_50.html

Absolutely free template...

Q-Tonium, I'm usually not a big fan of this template, but you made it turn out quite nice. Congrats.

Where did you get your credit card contribution? I love the look of the cards / paypal....and wouldn't mind using it myself.

A couple suggestions.

Welcome to Ford Trucks Rock...should be displayed only on homepage. I think a different mini picture of a ford truck would look better than than the same truck everywhere....Im talking about the Home, Catalog, My Account, Shopping Cart, and Checkout Section with the same little truck next to all of those.

A better main logo could be created in the near future...talk to me if ya need help on this. I like how it's and plain....but it could be eye-catching.....so when people stop by there like WOAH! That's kool.

Good use of SSL Secure logos...I feel safe :D

Your footer is a MESS!! clean it up please.

That's about all I saw....take care.

~Parker F Lukjanovs

Thank you ELnew for your constructive criticism. I totally agree about the footer problem and I have been working on it. The whole CSS and different browsers make that whole part harder than it should be.

I'm sorry you don't like my logo.

I was going for a hard/cold look with the logo which was designed to emulate the enthusiastic characteristic of the Ford Logo. I didn't want to have anything too flashy so as to not draw your attention away from the products themselves. I may think about making a few different iterations in the future but for now I'm pleased with the logo.

I like the idea of making different logos on the nav section and intend to work on that.

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, honestly I like te logo, I just think it should stand out a bit more...maybe have the truck "pop" out more....because when I personally shop online, I look for something that grabs my attention from the start. But..your doing a great job so far. Take Care and God Bless.

~Parker

Goodday Q-Tonium,

Review done Firefox2.0/broken WinXP Pro 1024x768

your link to us page breaks theme by creating a page too wide for a browser because the page loads two colums wide.

The shopping cart also breaks the theme (at least when empty) by not having a left column.

I was on "linkmachine/resources/resources.html" and clicked on "Automotive Accessories" to go "linkmachine/resources/resources_automotive_accessories.html" I didn't even realize the page had reloaded for a while - nothing in my view changed. I have smooth transitions enabled so it initially looked like I was on the same page. I saw that the items had loaded WHEN I scrolled down. Maybe I am just a dummy, but could ya make your site more dummy friendly.

Other people had made some comments about somethings not changing as pages changed and I want to expand on that "gripe". Basically almost the top third + of your site does not change between pages. There are unchanging duplicate links inches from each other. Marketing-wise you are wasting a prime piece of some real estate. Asethically it gets boring. (Shorten it up or get more page specific / random aspects)

You picked a good template to go with your product. It seems to display them well. Your image creations look great. Product pictures display nicely for me. Nice clean look. Things are aligned.

Personally I hate fixed width sites. As a web user I don't avoid those sites. As a reviewer I am saying nothing on the subject.

I could not find an address or phone number but the more expensive ssl certificate solved that problem.

If I were into Ford Trucks, looking to acquire asseccories, and wanted to buy them online I would have not have a problem purchasing them from you.

That a really nice template. You spend only three month on that? Could you train people to be that efficient?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

In regards to the "Welcome to Ford Trucks Rock"... I would actually agree with this statement. I kind of put this last min. in only because friends of mine who "logged in" said they couldn't tell if they logged in or not and the "welcome to ford trucks rock" phrase changes to "welcome whoever". Any event the placement is a bit odd but I wanted somewhere the viewer would see they had logged in and if you know how I can change up the "welcome" phrase it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the dildo comment I don't know whether to get excited or upset. So I'll just leave it as confused :huh:

To answer everyones question on everyones minds. Yes, it is a template but if you think about it, isn't downloading osCommerce just another free template? After all these templates are all based off of the "original" template anyway.

Thanks again for the comments! Keep em comin... no pun intend :-"

just starting out my oscommerce experience really, but i have to say i am really impressed with that site. as a buyer it would catch my eye i can't see how it could not.vert professional looking well done. Q-Tonium is this your first attempt at setting up oscommerce and are you good at programming and graphics. just wanted to know as i am a newbie and i am just getting to grips with Fireworks CS3. i would love to create something like that for my site.

Goodday Q-Tonium,

your link to us page breaks theme by creating a page too wide for a browser because the page loads two colums wide.

The shopping cart also breaks the theme (at least when empty) by not having a left column.

I was on "linkmachine/resources/resources.html" and clicked on "Automotive Accessories" to go "linkmachine/resources/resources_automotive_accessories.html" I didn't even realize the page had reloaded for a while - nothing in my view changed. I have smooth transitions enabled so it initially looked like I was on the same page. I saw that the items had loaded WHEN I scrolled down. Maybe I am just a dummy, but could ya make your site more dummy friendly.

Other people had made some comments about somethings not changing as pages changed and I want to expand on that "gripe". Basically almost the top third + of your site does not change between pages. There are unchanging duplicate links inches from each other. Marketing-wise you are wasting a prime piece of some real estate. Asethically it gets boring. (Shorten it up or get more page specific / random aspects)

You picked a good template to go with your product. It seems to display them well. Your image creations look great. Product pictures display nicely for me. Nice clean look. Things are aligned.

Personally I hate fixed width sites. As a web user I don't avoid those sites. As a reviewer I am saying nothing on the subject.

I could not find an address or phone number but the more expensive ssl certificate solved that problem.

If I were into Ford Trucks, looking to acquire asseccories, and wanted to buy them online I would have not have a problem purchasing them from you.

Thanks Doug for the constructive criticism.

I am happy to report that I am "aware" of the issues you have mentioned as being problematic. As for priority, currently, I am working on fixing some unseen items such as paypal and authorize.net and google analytics.... But you are absolutely right about the banners and the boredom of them. I would love to add more! In fact that is like the candy for me... So to speak

;)

Aside from the "link to us" page and the "resources" page which I know have to be worked on.... Just haven't gotten around to it yet though. :-"

HOW I THINK DEVELOP AND DESIGN -- In that order.

I enjoy design way more than programming. When you design a site you must think about everything in the eyes of the user. ALWAYS be asking yourself what would the user want at this page. If you try and develop a site with how the USER wants to use your site instead of how YOU want to develop (not design) then your end result will be much more intuitive and "USER FRIENDLY". Once you know how your user will want to operate in your site then you can begin to design. This is where my candy part comes in.

I love making things look good and one mistake most people make in design is they are affraid to throw it away. Be HONEST with yourself. If you make something that is crap toss it! I can't tell you how many times I have developed something and kept it just because I spent 31651230 hours on it. Trust me if it sucks start over. Don't get me wrong all of it doesn't have to be bad just move things around change them a bit. Walk away for an hour or two and come back and look them over again.

REMEMBER BE HONEST WITH YOUR WORK

No one does anything right the first time. Believe me I know thats why I'm on this site asking for YOUR feedback. I don't know what everyone is thinking, but the goal is to develop design that SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. Don't make a page have your buddy look it over and say "you got to click here to do this" or "you got to click here to do that" if they can't figure it out you need to redesign it.

As for everyone else's questions about teaching them I'm flattered really but I learned everything I need to know on this site.... Well not everything but trust me your sitting in front of everything you need to make your own. You don't know an answer ask on a forum or do a search online for the error you got. More then likely someone else has had the same problem and you can read how they fixed it.

Hope that helps GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

IGNORE MY LAST POST

Goodday Q-Tonium,

Thanks Doug for the constructive criticism.

I am happy to report that I am "aware" of the issues you have mentioned as being problematic. As for priority, currently, I am working on fixing some unseen items such as paypal and authorize.net and google analytics.... But you are absolutely right about the banners and the boredom of them. I would love to add more! In fact that is like the candy for me... So to speak

;)

Aside from the "link to us" page and the "resources" page which I know have to be worked on.... Just haven't gotten around to it yet though. :-"

HOW I THINK DEVELOP AND DESIGN -- In that order.

When you design a website, you must think about everything in the eyes of the user :blink: . ALWAYS be asking yourself what would the user, want at this page. If you try and develop a site with how the USER wants to navigate your site, instead of how YOU want to develop a site. (note: I said develop not design) Then your end result will be much more intuitive and "user friendly". Once you know how your user will want to operate in your site then you can begin to design and this is when you think about the look of your site. This is the fun part where you break out photoshop and actually start making something that looks like a webpage.

I like when things look good - hell doesn't everybody? - One mistake most people make in design is they are afraid to throw it away :'( Be HONEST with yourself. If you make something that is crap. Toss it! I can't tell you how many times I have developed something and kept it just because I spent 31651230 hours on it. Even when it still looked like crap I kept working on it longer and longer tweaking this or that hoping I could fix it. Trust me if it sucks, start over.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes inspiration can fix these bad things but eventually you have to say enough is enough. IF it an't working throw in the towel. No sense in spending more time on crap to make pretty crap. Capish

Another tip that might help in design -- Walk away for an hour or two and come back and look them over again.

REMEMBER BE HONEST WITH YOUR WORK

No one does anything right the first time. Believe me I know thats why I'm on this site asking for YOUR feedback. I don't know what everyone is thinking, but the goal is to develop & design a site that SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. Don't make a page have your buddy look it over and say "you got to click here to do this" or "you got to click here to do that" if they can't figure it out you need to redesign it.

As for everyone else's questions about me teaching them, I'm flattered really, but you can learn everything I learned right here on this site.... Well, maybe not everything, but trust me your sitting in front of everything you need to make your own, your computer! You don't know an answer, ask on a forum, or do a search online for the error you got. More then likely someone else has had the same problem and you can read how they fixed it.

Hope that helps GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Oh I didn't even mention programming -- oh yeah that thing once you do all that other stuff I mentioned program it to make it work!

(You have to know what your site will look like and do before you can make the program to do it)

you know, i really don't mind people using templates. As long as the site comes out looking good, its all that matters... and yours looks great. good job :)

as you grow you surely will be able to afford a redesign to make it more "personal" / "unique".

Designrfix.com | Graphic Design Inspiration & Web Design Resources - @designrfix

Archived