• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contrib for Ordering from Suppliers/Vendors?

aiyou

My apologies up front if I posted this in the wrong area - didn't know where else this might go, though.

I'm wondering if there is a contrib that would allow me to input my vendors, associate their products (which, of course, may be able to use existing tables to some extent), and then generate a Purchase Order to be emailed to my vendor/supplier so that I could reorder inventory. Ideally, this would have an automatic method of generating a unique PO number.

Once a PO is initiated, individual items from that specific supplier could be added, with a specified quantity. Additional items could be added until the request is finalized. When finalized, an email would be generated to the vendor email address (on file through vendor setup/configuration) and cc: the shop owner.

When items are received from the supplier, individual line items could be checked in (and in the event of partial shipment or backorder, marked accordingly).

I've been tracking this activity historically in the admin notes section, but would like a more robust solution.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

One other thing...

If no current contrib is available for this, might there be something similar which I could look at, and use as a starting point, in creating a contrib specific for this?

I've never built a contrib from scratch, but am pretty confident I could come up with at least a functional baseline version if I had a starting point.

Thanks again.

As far as i know there are none which does exactly what you want, but there are several ones you can look at in the contributions section, Click here...

Thanks Nick.

I've looked through most of these, and tried another search for 'supplier', but didn't find anything that quite met my needs.

So, if I go the route of a new contrib - any recommendations for an existing contrib that might serve as a jumping-off point?

My apologies up front if I posted this in the wrong area - didn't know where else this might go, though.

I'm wondering if there is a contrib that would allow me to input my vendors, associate their products (which, of course, may be able to use existing tables to some extent), and then generate a Purchase Order to be emailed to my vendor/supplier so that I could reorder inventory. Ideally, this would have an automatic method of generating a unique PO number.

Once a PO is initiated, individual items from that specific supplier could be added, with a specified quantity. Additional items could be added until the request is finalized. When finalized, an email would be generated to the vendor email address (on file through vendor setup/configuration) and cc: the shop owner.

When items are received from the supplier, individual line items could be checked in (and in the event of partial shipment or backorder, marked accordingly).

I've been tracking this activity historically in the admin notes section, but would like a more robust solution.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Interesting ideas...!

there are two ways to get this job done:

1. semi-automatic

You can place an order to your Supplier, when he confirm this order, then you stock level will be updated as you wanted

This is the most practical way by far....but only in case your order is worthy such review by your supplier, or else it will not work well...

defect is not real time...

2. automatic

If you know the interface of your supplier's website, you can then add an PO to that website, and then it will send back the result...we call it webservice....however, osc stores usually don't support such ways...that's purely XML jobs...and this is not practical by far.

Then the first one is more reasonable...what's your suggestion?

BTW, I am an OSC developer with more than 2 years experience sincer 2005...keep in contact, okie?

Thanks for the feedback.

A few of my suppliers are small machine shops for custom steel and aluminum parts. Other suppliers are larger, but if using their website to place an order, it appears to just set an entry in their system for the sales rep to call and confirm.

While I could certainly see the benefits of a module as you describe, I don't think it would quite meet my needs. I know I could come up with something in MS Access, but would prefer to integrate with my site.

I'll play around with this idea a bit more, and if it's okay with you, perhaps reach out to you offline for some additional input or direction.

Thanks all!

• 10 months later...

Any updates on something like this. It is exactly what i am looking for as well.

Most of the items i sell are drop shipped by manufacturers.. it would be easier if a PO can be sent via email to the Vendor through the online catalog.. currently i create a PO on quickbooks and send it that way.. but then i have to copy over all the customer info and product info to Quickbooks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Justin..

Sorry, it has been a while since I've had to check in on the site...the shop has been steady, and life has been busy, so not too many opportunities to dig in and work on this.

However, for your specific need, you may be able to modify an Invoice/Purchase Order form that you would normally print and send to the customer - this could be linked to another of the quick buttons at the bottom of the customer order. Print to PDF and attach via email to supplier.

You could also probably add a 2nd email to the order confirmation process, creating the PO to the supplier. May need to be modified further if multiple vendors are utilized, so that each vendor gets a PO with their specific info.

I could probably handle the modified Invoice/Purchase Order form, but would certainly be challenged by the email component at this point.

--Rob