• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which files are used to send out the 'account creation' & 'order confirmation' emails?

olimits7

Hello,

Can somebody tell which which *.php files are used to send out the 'account creation' & 'order confirmation' emails?? Where is the code used for this function??

My dedicated server was reformatted because a hacker kept on finding out my FTP password, and after the server was formatted my 'account creation' & 'order confirmation' emails stopped working all of a sudden.

Or could it also be something on the server they forgot to enable?? Is there anything I can tell my hosting company to look into to see if they can get this working again??

This is what my hosting company has told me so far about this issue:

1. They were able to send an email using the 'sendmail' function on my server.

2. They ran /scripts/eximup to update exim to the latest version.

3. They setup a small mailtest.php script to send an email to a specified email account, and the email was delivered.

So I'm not sure if this could be a server issue if the above tests did work properly. Is there anything else I should mention to them??

Thank you,

olimits7

create_account.php and checkout_process.php, that is, when both actions are successful. But reading more your post, I think the problem is less likely to do with that two files. Change host is my advice, which will save lots of time and headache. and are you sure your site got 'hacked' through ftp?? are you using cPanel?

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Hello,

Yes I'm using cPanel.

Ever since they reformatted the server everything has been working fine, except for sending out these emails.

I just used the email test contribution (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1595) and my email was sent fine. I don't understand if this works why it doesn't send an email out when I create an account or process an order.

Do you know why this isn't working? any ideas?

Thank you,

olimits7

Hello,

Ok, I just created a couple test accounts on my website and found out that the 'account creation' email gets sent fine. However, my 'order confirmation' email still doesn't get send out.

Why would the 'account creation' email work fine, and not the 'order confirmation'? What can I do to get the 'order confirmation' email working?

Thank you,

olimits7

When you tested to see if the various email messages worked, did you use "remote" email addresses for the test customer accounts? By remote, I mean an email address that has a domain name different from the store name and/or the hosting company. Email servers can be configured to allow delivery of emails to "local" domains and reject delivery of emails to remote domains unless the incoming email is authenticated (usually via SMTP password authentication).

Most of the emails are sent to the configured Store Owner / Email Address which may be a local address, but the customer email is (in all likely hood) remote.

Does your hosting company require password SMTP password authentication? Have you always had your site configured for sendmail email transport? Your server may not be in the same configuration it use to be in.

Ben

The emails I tried have been 'remote' emails; it's weird that it works fine with the account creation but doesn't work with the order confirmation emails for 'remote' emails.

Yes, I always used the 'sendmail' configuration.

I think the server has been setup in the same way, but if it hasn't what can I tell my hosting company to check to see if I can get this working again?

Thank you,

olimits7

Post (or PM me) your email configuration options from admin -> configuration -> E-mail Options.

Have you defined any extra order email destinations in admin -> configuration -> My Store ?

As you point out, it doesn't make any sense that some of the emails are working and others not. Are you sure your checkout_process.php file is intact. Do you have the paypal IPN contribution installed (or any other contribution installed that might effect the completion of an order)?

Given your testing and the hosting companies testing, it sounds like the email configuration is correct.

I have no experience debugging a sendmail configuration from the outside. On your dedicated server, do you have root privileges or the ability to look at the syslog?

Archived