• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Credit Card Info Box v1.0

joongpark

I just submit my first contribution ever...I am so happy

It's little info box that shows image of credit cards.

No live shop should be without it so I made one.

check it out at my demo shop

www.movion.com

click on any site and go to "custom shop demo"

or

http://www.movion.com/demo/catalog/default.php

hope it's useful to everyone.

You know that you can only legally show those images if your credit card processor gives you permission to use them. If they don't give you explicit permission to use them then you are most likely violating not only your agreement with the processor but the agreement betwen the processor and the card networks.

You know that you can only legally show those images if your credit card processor gives you permission to use them. If they don't give you explicit permission to use them then you are most likely violating not only your agreement with the processor but the agreement betwen the processor and the card networks.

Is that a US thing or is it international ? Never heard that before.

As a merchant all cardcompanies keep sending me nice window stickers / ashtrays and other goodies.. never mentioning anything about copyright etc so I always thought of it as 'good for both of us' to display the accepted cards on sites...?

Thanks,

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

If that is a law it is more than like that a "forgotten" law that is never pursued

As if your showing a "Visa" or a "Mastercard" Symbol your going to accept that card and they WANT you to display them

Hell they are freely avaible on mastercard,visa,Discover, AMEX web sites,

And infact, in my Merchant Agreement they require me to show them openly.........

Michael

Yes, but you are showing logos provided by your processor. The graphics in this contribution are from Paypal. No where in Paypal's user agreement do they give permission to use those exact graphics. They provide other graphics that clearly state the Paypal name. Using this graphic is a violation of copyright laws (which I thought was international but might be mistaken, don't know how other countries handle copyright or if they even care).

I also display graphics provided by my processor both online and in my window. It is smart to do so. However you can't use Paypal's graphics if you use Authorize.net, you need to use the graphics they provide and so forth.

I hope that is more clear.

What??? I never heard of that... anyways if that is the case, then all one must do is open a paypal account and then use them since Paypal gives permission to show the credit card logo on your site to let people know you accept them....

but I've never heard of such a law... maybe you could site what bill it is in for us to make us believers.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

I don't know much about law but there are thousands of sites that display them and those credit card companies do make money off of us so let them sue me for using their logo...I sure that will piss everyone off.

Yep, didn't clock they we're ripped images... that would be international violation then I guess since any self respecting country will have copyright laws on intellectual / artistic property etc.

Although I'm curious if you'd loose a lawsuit as the CARD images itself are common good... nothing has been done to the logo's except putting them in a row. There are no 'artistic' values added of any kind.

Like big retailers are allowed to use what's called 'product shots' to show what they have on sale in their catalogues....

So joongpark, just to be sure I would visit each cardcompanies site, get the images and make your own little bar with them then...

Hooray.. version 1.1 :D

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

AS stated before, it is copyright law. You cannot use an image unless given explicit permission. Just copying it off a website doesn't give you permission. Your merchant agreement does. If I need more Visa stickers, I have to order them from Visa, I just can't go make my own. The same with Web Images. If I need Visa images, I have to use the ones they provide not some knock off images.

Then you get into third party processors. Technically, you don't accept credit cards if you use iBill, Paypal, 2Checkout, and other similar processors. They do. Your name doesn't appear on the customers credit card bill, you don't have a merchant account and so forth. They simply provide a middle man service. It may be a technicality but it could be one that costs you, your business. Personally, I would rather play it safe and cross my t's and dot my i's.

Yes, but you are showing logos provided by your processor. The graphics in this contribution are from Paypal. No where in Paypal's user agreement do they give permission to use those exact graphics. They provide other graphics that clearly state the Paypal name. Using this graphic is a violation of copyright laws (which I thought was international but might be mistaken, don't know how other countries handle copyright or if they even care).  

I also display graphics provided by my processor both online and in my window. It is smart to do so. However you can't use Paypal's graphics if you use Authorize.net, you need to use the graphics they provide and so forth.  

I hope that is more clear.

I see what you are saying now... you were not very clear before...

I'm still not sure though... the images are derrived from credit card logos and Paypal and NO other merchants own the copyrights to the credit card logos... I don't think they can copyright any derrivitaves from the logos they don't own...

anyways if you're gonna throw that big of a deal over it, then take the logos and put them together yourself... here are some to use:

http://www.mivahelp.com/cart/ccimg.htm

and don' tell me Miva owns the copyrights to those... just because they are shown on Miva's site doesn't mean Miva owns them... the logos are owned by their respective credit card companies... go around the net and you will see these logos everywhere... goto the credit card company's site and you can pull them off of there if u want also...

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Accutlly in a New paypal Policy your business name (or a name you speicly) DOES appear on the customers statment......

and you will never see a card company telling you not to use there images when you accepting their card, even if you do so via paypal, they WANT as many people displaying their cards as possible.....

Michael

This has nothing to do with copyrights.

The way banking regulations read (in the US at least) only the site/person/whatever with the merchant account is permitted to show the logos. If you're using paypal, 2checkout, etc. you technically aren't the one with the merchant account and are prohibitted from using them. It's designed to avoid confusion for the consumer. I remember way back when, when I used.....can't even remember the name any more....they produced an image with their logo, the credit card logos and it said "Credit card processing provided by CCNow". Hehe...I knew it's remember the name.... Apparently that was ok.

Of course there are those of us that know all this and don't give a rat's behind and display them anyway but that's another story... :P

And if your processor wishes to they could terminate your account for it.

Pointing out that anyone can download a logo is pointless. I can download Microsoft's logo and even replicate their entire site to the last tag but do you honestly think they'd let me get away with it. :wink:

I was merely pointing out credit card regulations. If you don't care then just look the other way and do your own thing. Just don't call someone else's post pointless simply becuase you don't care. :evil:

And if your processor wishes to they could terminate your account for it.

Pointing out that anyone can download a logo is pointless. I can download Microsoft's logo and even replicate their entire site to the last tag but do you honestly think they'd let me get away with it.  :wink:  

I was merely pointing out credit card regulations. If you don't care then just look the other way and do your own thing. Just don't call someone else's post pointless simply becuase you don't care.  :evil:

no your missing my point.......

First off, every card processor makes the logo freely avaible as do most card companies, giving them out like candy.

So if I use PayPal, I can go to paypal site, and link or download INDIVIUAL card logos, or a combined logo with paypal on it, or just a paypal logo...

If I use say Authorize.net they provide them too

as for my link to the AMEX site, it is a Downlad page, not where you go a "right click" and save a image...

You slect opitons that you want your custom logo to display, and then it will create your custom card logo for you to download and use.........

SO if you accpet Credit cards in any way, they (the card companied) WANT you to display there card so their card holders will know they can use their visa card there,

Why would a Processor Terminate my Account for using the Logo of the carc Company they process for me? that makes no sense

Michael

This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read. It had to have originated in the U.S. You are mixing issues here. If someone accepts credit cards of a specific type and happens to show a logo on their site no one is going to care. If you name your company Disastercard or Pisa that's an entirely different issue.

The guy just made a contribution, he didn't ask for armchair lawyers.

Really, two whole pages of this rubbish?

After reading all the postings, I decided to come up with new version.

One that shows only credits cards that are being accepted. If no credit card then box does not show. It will be better for store owner since it will only show ones that are being accepted.

I won't be able to work on it right away so if someone has time, please help !! It will be nice feature.