• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need suggestions

ELnew

http://www.eleatherline.com/estellesleatherstop/

I need some suggestions on my site. I want to chance the look of the categories, but nothing comes to mind, since I started using OSC 2 weeks ago.

If you go into Men.....It shows how my category pictures will be like. Also go into Mens Jackets....And it shows how my Products are displayed. I know everything is basic still. But bare with me. haha, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in Advance.

~Parker

Is this Holiday scheme a temporary of permanent feature? The first thing that strikes me about the site is the fact that there is the red border located around the entire site. I would remove that red border as it is unnecessary. I also noticed that you use two colors red and green but the outline of all the infoboxes are the default osC light blue colors. Consider changing the infbox outline to green. Also, I noticed that all of your site buttons are default osCommerce colors. In addition, your site still has default osC icons which I would remove/ replace. Finally, I would get rid of the visitor counter as well as install SSL.

P.S. PLEASE DO NOT BUMP IT IS AGAINS FORUM RULES!

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

Hi,

Just saw this post and wanted to give you an easy contrib to show category name instead of the let's see what's here. It was only a one page instruction so I will just post it here.

Get rid of "Let's See What We Have Here" for SubCategories and "Categories" for Top-Categories. Replace them with the name of categories or Subcategories name.

In the /catalog/index.php, there are three <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?>

FOR CATEGORIES, just replace the first one

<?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?>

TO

<?php echo $category['categories_name'] ?>

FOR SUBCATEGORIES, just replace the second

<?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?>

TO

<?php if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

if ($category['manufacturers_name'] != "") {echo $category['manufacturers_name'];} else { echo HEADING_TITLE;}

} else {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

if ($category['categories_name'] != "") {echo $category['categories_name'];} else { echo HEADING_TITLE;}

}

?>

The third <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?>

Nothing needed to modify.

I hope this helps!!

Happy Holidays!

Good Evening Parker,

Review done in Firefox2.0/WinXP.

I think the problem is my FireFox; the red tabs do not display well. Home is there at all times, but the others only on mouseover. If you don't have it, download it for testing purposes: opensource FireFox

Address and phone number in the header? What, you want to make people think you are a real store?? This tongue-in-check comment is actually directed at all the sites I review that don't tell you anything about location. When I first saw your homepage, I FELT like I entered the online portion of a brick-n-mortar store. Even without SSL, I created an account. (hint)

Making the style "a.hover" as bold causes the link text to jump all-around on the page. In some cases it is kinda annoying.

I think you have a really good start on your site.

Oh yea, nice header logo

Good Evening Parker,

Review done in Firefox2.0/WinXP.

I think the problem is my FireFox; the red tabs do not display well. Home is there at all times, but the others only on mouseover. If you don't have it, download it for testing purposes: opensource FireFox

Address and phone number in the header? What, you want to make people think you are a real store?? This tongue-in-check comment is actually directed at all the sites I review that don't tell you anything about location. When I first saw your homepage, I FELT like I entered the online portion of a brick-n-mortar store. Even without SSL, I created an account. (hint)

Making the style "a.hover" as bold causes the link text to jump all-around on the page. In some cases it is kinda annoying.

I think you have a really good start on your site.

Oh yea, nice header logo

Actually we are a REAL store haha. We're just making an online store to grow. Thanks for all the advice, I didn't really understand your hint haha, brick and mortal store? ahah I think I'm too young to know what that is, or I'm just a moron.

- Add

HTML { overflow: scroll; }

So yur site doesnt jump left-right when scrollbar appears

- Quick find box - make it the same width as categories (At least on Linux/Firefox it isnt)

- Add some text to the index page, at least a few keyword-rich sentences/paragraph - it'll do you some good for your SEO.

- Oh.. and replace the guy in the top-right corner with the black haired girl you have on your main image :)

Regards,

George

http://www.eleatherline.com/estellesleatherstop/

I need some suggestions on my site. I want to chance the look of the categories, but nothing comes to mind, since I started using OSC 2 weeks ago.

If you go into Men.....It shows how my category pictures will be like. Also go into Mens Jackets....And it shows how my Products are displayed. I know everything is basic still. But bare with me. haha, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in Advance.

~Parker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ditto the previous post. It would be best to use an image contributions like "multi pics" or "ultra pics" or whatever it's called. you really should have images of multiple sizes for each product to ensure your site loads quickly. At least a small image for the category listing and a medium image for the product_info page would suffice.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually we are a REAL store haha. We're just making an online store to grow. Thanks for all the advice, I didn't really understand your hint haha, brick and mortal store? ahah I think I'm too young to know what that is, or I'm just a moron.
No, "brick-n-mortar".

I searched the term on Google and it does seem to be common enough. http://retail.about.com/od/glossary/g/brickandmortar.htm puts it this way:

Definition: Refers to retail shops that are located in a building as opposed to an online shopping destination, door-to-door sales, kiosk or other similar site not housed within a structure.

Also Known As: Store Front

You probably are too young (does that make me too old) or else it is a term outside your normal sphere of influences.

My comments earlier were a sort of tongue in check form of kidding. (If I remember correctly, I had been reviewing a bunch of sites that avoided indentifing information and your store was like a breath of fresh air)

Looks like you took down the powered by osCommerce.

Well, you got people images in your store, and people likes to see people when they're buying, so that's good. You've a cold/hot kind of mixture colors that makes it interesting to see which is also good.

imo, i suggest to work on the images and the fonts. Fonts can be done whit a css style, you can search it over. And the images, don't over use the drop shadow effect on photoshop!, a good and clean shadow can be done whit a 1/5 shadow and a 5/10 outer white glow.

Also, delete the non-english languages from the control panel.

I appreciate everything......I'm kinda stuck in terms of advertisement. I my shop is up, yet and I'm getting about 20-30 unique clicks a day, yet ZERO sales....and ZERO customer sign ups....any suggestions?

I appreciate everything......I'm kinda stuck in terms of advertisement. I my shop is up, yet and I'm getting about 20-30 unique clicks a day, yet ZERO sales....and ZERO customer sign ups....any suggestions?

Hi I just went to your site and clicked to go to a product and got this error on the page:

Warning: main(includes/boxes/header_tags.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/eleather/public_html/estellesleatherstop/includes/column_left.php on line 42

Did you forget to do something when you did the header tag contribution?

This would make customers unsure of your site if they saw this on their screen.

Same problem as well. I hope it has not been this way long. (Just out of general curosity, which addons have you installed.)

I noticed you changed all the irks about which I complained.

I'm getting about 20-30 unique clicks a day

I was going to say I don't know how you are determining "clicks"s, but looking into your source code I see you are using amazingcounters.com. What do you mean by "unique clicks"? I wonder how much of your traffic may be search engines and other bots. From the sounds of it, your site has been online since the end of November last year and that really isn't a lot of time for creating an internet presence.

I'm hardly an e-commerce expert, and it's been a couple of months since your initial post. However I did want to say that I think the store looks great. I also like the pics of the people on your site, but unless your marketing to men only then I would recommend putting a pic of a man and woman in the upper right of the logo.

Also, how is everyone taking the OSC thing off the bottom of the page? I thought we couldn't do that???

Same problem as well. I hope it has not been this way long. (Just out of general curosity, which addons have you installed.)

I noticed you changed all the irks about which I complained.

I was going to say I don't know how you are determining "clicks"s, but looking into your source code I see you are using amazingcounters.com. What do you mean by "unique clicks"? I wonder how much of your traffic may be search engines and other bots. From the sounds of it, your site has been online since the end of November last year and that really isn't a lot of time for creating an internet presence.

I fixed the error, problem was that I just installed the header tags contrib....and it had me add code into columnleft....thing is I don't use column left at all, well at least not any scripts besides...my own custom left navigation w/ css.....yes I'm using amazingcounters....(hidden)....and unique clicks means that during the course of I believe 24 hrs...the counter will only register 1 specific IP address, meaning if I myself am editing the site the whole day, and I go to the online catalog 30 times in one day, I will only be counted as once, because my IP is the same, so unique meaning 20-30 different IP addresses a day....thus meaning different people.

Actually the site has been online *so people can buy* since early January...I actually started working on it in november.

the contribs that I can remember adding are...

AJAX Attrib Manager

headertags_v_2.6.3

umm.....

...I can think of any other ones honestly, I'm just not working with the headertags, and as soon as this gets done, I'll be working on installed GEO_SEO or whatever it is.

as far as the "Powered by osC" goes....

this is directly from the copyright policy

"The separate text "Powered by osCommerce", or similar text, displayed on both Administration Tool and Catalog modules is optional to have displayed."

• 1 month later...
as far as the "Powered by osC" goes....

this is directly from the copyright policy

"The separate text "Powered by osCommerce", or similar text, displayed on both Administration Tool and Catalog modules is optional to have displayed."

But, "live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site."

Please put the required text back on your site if you want feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if it is the browser that i am using at work, ( which is IE Version 6.0 )

But the navigation bars on the top of the page are showing up messed up ( there are 5 rows of them one on top of the other)

and they are making the page wider so i now have to scroll to see the whole page...

Tim

Archived