• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check out my shop please :)

wargaming

www.wargamingworld.co.uk

My first Oscommerce site I know its pretty stock but i'm looking for constructive help in what you guys think it needs.

A couple of things I was mainly concerned about

The intro page i'm unsure as whether I actually need one i've heard a few people say on here it is worth it but also the same amount say its not.

The top banner I did like it when it was first made but now i'm not sure that it blends at all with the page I think it being basically a red banner takes your eye away from the page.

Whether my site looks legit I am sorting out a ssl cert for the site but I know colours also help alot hence why i'm trying to stay away from a dark background I dont have the skills to pull off a really good look with dark colours ( complete newbie with code :blush: )

The site is currently live and i'm getting loads of clicks through google adwords but not many sales is buying without making account worth a go ?

Any other critisism you have however harsh will help me out in the long run so let loose guys appreciate any input :thumbsup:

www.wargamingworld.co.uk

My first Oscommerce site I know its pretty stock but i'm looking for constructive help in what you guys think it needs.

The intro page i'm unsure as whether I actually need one i've heard a few people say on here it is worth it but also the same amount say its not.

The top banner I did like it when it was first made but now i'm not sure that it blends at all with the page I think it being basically a red banner takes your eye away from the page.

Whether my site looks legit I am sorting out a ssl cert for the site but I know colours also help alot hence why i'm trying to stay away from a dark background I dont have the skills to pull off a really good look with dark colours ( complete newbie with code :blush: )

The site is currently live and i'm getting loads of clicks through google adwords but not many sales is buying without making account worth a go ?

Any other critisism you have however harsh will help me out in the long run so let loose guys appreciate any input :thumbsup:

Since Im new I wont make any suggestions on the shopping cart itself. However, I think you should trash the intro page and redirect it straight to the shop.I used to have something like that but I have always heard negative feedback on an intro page.

www.wargamingworld.co.uk

I am new to oscommerce, and haven't yet jumped in, so take it for what it's worth... my thoughts:

1. I don't care for the intro page... you cover it pretty well in the text of the main page. At the same time, if I am shopping, and I go back to 'top' - that takes me back to the intro page and not the main store page... it seems unnecessary.

2. I like the banner you're using across the top... i think the red does stand out but not too distracting.

other than that... i know it's new so to some degree a work in progress... when i first loaded the page, i saw text at the bottom that said something like banner test or something, but after browsing a few moments the banner appeared..

I didn't look at every page, but I did click on 'Terrain >16' and it seems like it has nothing in it (despite the fact that the link says 16 items).. now that I am writing this, I note another oddity. Depending on where I click that left 'links' pane changes.. on one link I see 'ragnarook' followed by 'terrain' then 'games workshop terrain'.. it is the ragnarook and terrain that each have no products... but somehow I got to a view that didn't even show them on that list...

Maybe you're updating as I browse... :) If not perhaps some broken links there somewhere...

Still overall looks great for a first go at it.. and I am sure it'll get better as you tweak it!

Hi thanks for the comments.

arkansawyer your right about the bottom banner thats not me playing its a problem i've had for a while and cant seem to fix the banner appears at random intervals and dissapears at other times with " new banner tester " applied i'm gonna look into dropping the opening page and seeing how much work it is with regards to the catorgaries m8ty terrain and ragnarok are 2 different sections with sub headers with products in ;)

Thanks for looking guys gives me a bit to go at :thumbsup:

well it sure needs some work to make it look better and to add more functionality to it which you will need running an online store considering the limitations of out of the box oscommerce. I would have applied all add-ns and fixed the look first before making it live. always more difficulty modifying with real people in your database.

there are some add-ons for quick account creation look into the add-on page.

cheers.

Santa's little freelancer

Hi thanks for the comments.

arkansawyer your right about the bottom banner thats not me playing its a problem i've had for a while and cant seem to fix the banner appears at random intervals and dissapears at other times with " new banner tester " applied i'm gonna look into dropping the opening page and seeing how much work it is with regards to the catorgaries m8ty terrain and ragnarok are 2 different sections with sub headers with products in ;)

Thanks for looking guys gives me a bit to go at :thumbsup:

The bottom banner appearing at random intervals or randomness is because there are 2 pics with the same file name and 2 different lines codes requesting them(conflicting code). I know its weird but its happened to me. Check out to see if theres smth like that.

Any suggestions for the look and why you dont like it nimz, is it just because its basically an out of the box store ? :)

no no don't get me wrong, not saying I don't like it but yes although you have modified the css for different colors it still carries the original oscommerce look. I truly think that the oscommerce popularity is only due to its great backbone and easily customized structure. having that in mind I'm not convinced that your shop is fully taking advantage of this.

making the site look different is a relatively tough job to do not only because you need to know how and what to change to get the look you want but also because even if you were totally capable of changing things around anyway you like finding that special and unique design that makes your shop stand out is nothing you can make happen in a short time.

I suggest you look at as many shops using oscommerce as you can to familiarize yourself with nice, practical and smart design ideas out there. make a list and then go about implementing them into your own shop.

I've said this before and say it again: there are many shops out there selling exactly what you do, think like a customer and see why you would choose to shop at this site and not the other?? can better prices be as strong a motivation as it may be if you are not convinced from the look of a site that the owner is financially capable of affording a well designed site??after all I know I wanna buy from somewhere popular that most above average people buy from. if I see the owner of a site not spending enough on his site's appearance first reason I think of is him not being financially strong which brings me to believe he's not making enough money from the site hence the fact that the shop doesn't have many customers and I surely don't wanna buy from a place like that!!

just my 2 cents.

good luck.

Santa's little freelancer

I see where your coming from and cheers for that m8ty

The money isn't really an issue we already have two retail shops on high streets its purely down to the fact that I like to know whats happening and how to do it if you like, implementing a template seems to limit the help people can give you on here and being just started out I need all the help I can get :rolleyes:

I do see what your saying and when I get a bit more confident I will more than likely redesign using a template to make the place look alot better.

Thanks for taking the time :)

Archived