• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

403 Forbidden?

Iniquityclothing

Hi folks getting

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Occasionally when navigating through my site? any ideas why, 'cos as far as im aware I have permission to view a website? Is ii possibly something to do with CHMOD settings?/

Thanks

View recent 'helpfull' threads:

403 Error problems | Ultimate SEO (contribution support)

Could be - may be an htaccess file.. Does it occur when coming to the same page or pages? If page, can you access other pages within the same directory (bear in mind that the 'page' may be trying to access files within a directory). If pages check if those pages are or access files within the same directory... In short, try to narrow down when, what you are doing, and what page the error is occuring. What you are trying to do is find out if there is a pattern which points to the same page or directory.

Also, did you check with your host - might be on their end and a quick fix.

Lloyd

hi, it only happens occasionally, mainly on the index.php page. but it happens when i click on a product too. It doesn't always happen only now and again. if refresh the page it might give me the 403 error but if I refresh it again it will load?? its bizzar! my page is www.iniquityclothing.com take a look and see if it happens my permissions are 644 for index.php, if that helps at all?

also dont have an htaccess file on my server, is this the prob?

just called my host (lycos) and they say everything is ok. so it must be an issue with my files? however they went onto the site and said it loaded ok?? im using mozilla firefox and I keep running into the error??

nope IE gives the error too. Also its hit and miss if the website displays images like, bg.gif, arrwow.jpg etc, maybe i need to set some variables in /admin/includes/configure.php ?

and sometimes the font defaults to 'times' although no were in my style.css is 'times' refered too??

I just browsed your site and got no errors, (IE) some of the images did not show. Are these images that do not show and the images like 'bg.gif, arrwow.jpg etc' in the folder catalog/images? If they or any of your pages (file paths) are outside of the the root osC directory, it may be osC htaccess file that is giving you the error.

Lloyd

nope IE gives the error too. Also its hit and miss if the website displays images like, bg.gif, arrwow.jpg etc, maybe i need to set some variables in /admin/includes/configure.php ?

and sometimes the font defaults to 'times' although no were in my style.css is 'times' refered too??

Most confusing. Is it related to the privacy settings in your browser?

here is a link to a screen print of index.php loading incorrectly.

http://www.iniquityclothing.com/screenprint.jpg

as you will see some icons dont load properly and it is slighly miss aligned??

It must be something in your filepaths,, perhaps config file. Grab a source code view of the page when it is incorrect and check the paths of '<base href="your_site">' and paths of all images that do not display.

Lloyd

this is the config.php from /www/includes/config.php

<?php

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.iniquityclothing.com');

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://www.iniquityclothing.com');

define('ENABLE_SSL', false);

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.iniquityclothing.com');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.iniquityclothing.com');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');

define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');

define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');

define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', 'pub/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/data/members/paid/i/n/iniquityclothing.com/htdocs/www/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

Well,, thats right.. It is not the config file..

But it is something to do with the file path.

Check this URL of an image on your site and you will see what I mean -

http://www.iniquityclothing.com/images/LACE0039.jpg

Find the above file in your editing program, select properties and copy the file path including directory to the above URL. then try it again (should be 'images/LACE0039.jpg').. Make certain that your slashes are correct, sometimes copying file paths from properties can produce back slashes..

Lloyd

because of lycos's weird procedure my root directory is www.iniquityclothing.com/www/ and not just www.iniquityclothing.com/

will this have a bearing on how the page loads?

the reason LACE0039 doesn't load is because I have not uploaded that particular items image yet.

No I only have a little experience in the www root folder thing, but as I understand it just means that www is used before the domain name rather than just entering the domain name. It has to do with the server and should not present a problem.

And that explains why the image did not show. Although I did not get the error, just a message that the page could not be found. Plus I tried going straight to other images on your sight -

http://www.iniquityclothing.com/images/1_q1.gif

And they were displayed.

I browse your website and do not get an error, which tells me that your URL is being Forbidden not mine. This may be an htaccess file.. Check yours and see.. This link may help-

http://www.htaccessgenerator.com/apache/htaccess.html

Lloyd

There are some included with the osC store already. If you loaded the store directories directly into your web root than you have one there and in the includes and in the local directories. Plus your root folder 'www' may have had one there already installed by your server. If there is one there by your server in the www folder and you installed osC than you now have 2 including the one that came with osC. Is your store something that came with your server? Or did you install it yourself.?? If your server installed it than I would hope this is not the problem, however if you installed it than you may want to check your folder 'www' to see how many htaccess files are there.

I am not an expert on htaccess files by any means, my web control panel allows me to create them on the fly or I get my host to help me with them.

I do know you can do a lot with them, prohibit direct access to directories, reconfig the php.ini file, redirect, and among others - prohibit certain URL's from accessing any directories.

I am surely not trying to say this is your problem with the error - but I would check them. Use the URL I gave above and do a little research. Even if it is not the case, you may get some understanding what they can do.

Also Coopco gave a good question above -

Most confusing. Is it related to the privacy settings in your browser?

Lloyd

I think the problem has to do with Lycos. I also have a site hosted on their servers and I am getting the exact same problem. From time to time, I get a 403 error, wich stays for a couple of seconds, and goes away if I refresh after those sec.

I contacted Lycos to, but no reply yet. It seems to be happening since the maintenance on 28-11-2007. They changed some settings in apache (or updated, who knows? They didn't tell) and my index.php5 wasn't seen as index anymore. So I had to create a .htaccess. (can't turn of Indexes btw, gives me a 500 internal server error)

Some Web servers may also issue an 403 error if they at one time hosted your site, but now no longer do so and can not or will not provide a redirection to a new URL. In this case it is not unusual for the 403 error to be returned instead of a more helpful error. So if you have recently changed any aspect of your Web site setup (e.g. switched ISPs), then a 403 message is a possibility. Obviously this message should disappear in time - typically within a week or two - as the Internet catches up with whatever change you have made.

Could it be this?

hi,

i installed Oscommerce myself. I uploaded all the OsC files to an empty 'www' folder on my webserver. As part of that pack an .Htaccess file was included here is the script of that file:

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.3 2003/06/12 10:53:20 hpdl Exp $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to

# the AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">

# AllowOverride Options

# </Directory>

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the

# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet

# Explorer browsers

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>

<IfDefine SSL>

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

</IfDefine>

</IfModule>

# Fix certain PHP values

# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain

# servers)

#<IfModule mod_php4.c>

# php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

# php_value register_globals 1

#</IfModule>

I do have ones in my admin/include/ too

I have never experienced this problem before. I had Osc on this webserver before. but I ran into so many technical issues with contributions I simply deleted everything in the 'www' folder and started from scratch with a clean install of Osc v2.2rc1 and now im having this prob,

I have installed easypopulate in this store has this created the problem?

Thanks

I think the problem has to do with Lycos. I also have a site hosted on their servers and I am getting the exact same problem. From time to time, I get a 403 error, wich stays for a couple of seconds, and goes away if I refresh after those sec.

I contacted Lycos to, but no reply yet. It seems to be happening since the maintenance on 28-11-2007. They changed some settings in apache (or updated, who knows? They didn't tell) and my index.php5 wasn't seen as index anymore. So I had to create a .htaccess. (can't turn of Indexes btw, gives me a 500 internal server error)

Yeah is exactly what happens on my site? Called lycos too but they didn't inform me of any server changes, Hope this will be resolved by them!

interstingly, if i type in

www.iniquityclothing.com/

and not

www.iniquityclothing.com

It never gives me the error, is there somewere were I can specify every URL to have a trailing slash??

Archived