• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

duplicated content issue with OS sites

valerif

hi all,

if you go to any e-commerce website most of the the product pages (a part from the name and some detail) mostly look very similar or even the same. if they look like this to me they will look in the same way to Google. the question i have is:

will Google think these are duplicated pages and therefore not rank them?

i hope for some informed clarification on this issue

thanks

hi all,

if you go to any e-commerce website most of the the product pages (a part from the name and some detail) mostly look very similar or even the same. if they look like this to me they will look in the same way to Google. the question i have is:

will Google think these are duplicated pages and therefore not rank them?

i hope for some informed clarification on this issue

thanks

It's only the textural content that need concern you re: duplicate content.

It's only the textural content that need concern you re: duplicate content.

thanks

in fact i mean the textual content. it is repetitively the same

like if you have one product for instance a picture:

all caracteristics are same but the picture is different

thanks

in fact i mean the textual content. it is repetitively the same

like if you have one product for instance a picture:

all caracteristics are same but the picture is different

<title>

<meta tags>

<h1>

<h2>

<h3 h4>

<b> or <strong>

<i>

All to a differing degree tell Google what YOU say this page is about.

If the text on the page confirms and backs this up you have a reasonable quality page.

It's ok for the page structure to always be very similar as long as the key page identifiers are unique.

<title>

<meta tags>

<h1>

<h2>

<h3 h4>

<b> or <strong>

<i>

All to a differing degree tell Google what YOU say this page is about.

If the text on the page confirms and backs this up you have a reasonable quality page.

It's ok for the page structure to always be very similar as long as the key page identifiers are unique.

hi,

using dynamicly created content and also dynamically created meta tags they will be most of the time the same for all products pages. these are the pages that show each individual product

they are the ones i am worried about

hi,

using dynamicly created content and also dynamically created meta tags they will be most of the time the same for all products pages. these are the pages that show each individual product

they are the ones i am worried about

If your dynamically created meta tags are the same for all of the products pages, then it is not doing its job and should be replaced with one that will. But there is going to be some duplication of pages since the header, columns and footer are always included. If the content of the page (disregarding those other items) is too similar, then you may have problems. But a properly formatted page, unique page title, unique image and unique description should be enough to make the difference.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If your dynamically created meta tags are the same for all of the products pages, then it is not doing its job and should be replaced with one that will. But there is going to be some duplication of pages since the header, columns and footer are always included. If the content of the page (disregarding those other items) is too similar, then you may have problems. But a properly formatted page, unique page title, unique image and unique description should be enough to make the difference.

Jack

thanks for the clarification jack

the title is different, the pictures are different, the description in fact is very similar, but i am considering now to add some personalisation to each of them. it will be hard work but i suppose worth it

cheers

Archived