• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mysql "authentication protocol" error - need help, suggestions

ichini

I woke up this morning to find my website down with the front page showing this error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in /home/gessho/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

I've made no recent changes to the code so my assumption is my host has made some kind of change/upgrade to the mysql server. I'm still awaiting an answer from my host's tech support. (hostroute.com)

In the meantime I'm wondering if there is a way I can fix this easily. I've searched the forum for this error but I"m not sure exactly what to do.

I tried the "set password" query as suggested in a different thread and managed to block my own access on phpAdmin on my original domain - all I get now is a 'user authentication error'. So I apparently didn't do that right.

I uploaded backups of my site to a different domain on the same server, imported a backup of the database and I get the same error.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be very appreciated as this is a live site and I've already lost a day's worth of orders just before Christmas. :\

PHP 4.4.6

Mysql 4.1.22-standard

These should be compatible with Oscommerce, right? I'm pretty sure this is what it was before and my host hasn't major-upgraded to a new version, but my memory isn't exact. I'm still waiting for a response from my host - they're usually better at support than this... <_<

I have a question about this, that seems to keep popping up everywhere I search:

UPDATE user SET password = old_password('password') WHERE user = 'user';

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Can I enter this in mysql phpMyAdmin, or do I need to be running my own Mysql on my own server? Do I need to ask my host to fix this if my mysql databases are being hosted on their server? I'm wary of messing around anymore since I apparently locked myself out of the first domain's database, but this is frustrating not being able to fix anything.

Can Oscommerce NOT run on Mysql 4.1 and higher? I need to find this out, or I need to find a hosting company that will run Oscommerce without compatibility issues.

Can anyone tell me this?

I am setting up a site at the moment, so it's only in test phase yet. I have made a few test orders and it all checks out nicely. My host is One.com and they use MySQL 4.1.11 and 5.0.32 and both work fine with oscommerce (my site is on 5.0.32 and it works). Any chance for ssl conflict? I do not have ssl, my host don't support it (and I am barely collecting any data. No credit cards processing, or in fact no payment going through my site, only orders and delivery addresses are stored in the database) so i cannot tell if ssl messes things up.

Archived