• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Custom fields in product database

vesaire

Hi,

I had gone through the site and amazed with the features of oscommerce. I have 50,000+ item book database in Access. I would like to import this db to osc's product db. I am not an advanced programmer and have some questions in mind. My original product db has the following fields:

book_name

writer

publisher

description

published_year

number_of_pages

cover_type (paperback, hardcover etc.)

isbn

sku...

and a few more informational fields.

I realized that intial osc product db does not have that number of fields so I had to customize.

1. How could I add the extra fields in osc product db?

2. How could I make these extra fields appear on product's page?

3. How could I import this huge db to mysql? ( ıs it possible with easypopulate?)

Your kind attention and help would be glady appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Ugur

3. How could I import this huge db to mysql? ( ıs it possible with easypopulate?)

1) with phpMyAdmin or through mysql commandline.

2) by adapting the queries and writing additional code for the field data to get processed

3) CSV import contributions / EasyPopulate(?) / phpMyAdmin

HTH

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Hi,

-- snip --

Thanks and Regards

Ugur

1. Look in oscommerce.sql to see where it creates the products table. You'll need to add your fields there.

2. To make them appear on the products page, dunno, haven't needed to mess with it before.

3. yes, easypopulate can do it but it will have to be split into smaller files, which EP can do automatically. Easypopulate has been used successfully to import around 16,000 items. It would need to be modified to handle the extra fields you create in the database. We can discuss the particulars of the customization off line if you want: [email protected]

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

:?:

Hi,

My original product db has the following fields:

book_name

writer

publisher

description

published_year

number_of_pages

isbn

sku...

I realized that intial osc product db does not have that number of fields so I had to customize.

3. How could I import this huge db to mysql? ( is it possible with easypopulate?)

Thanks and Regards

Ugur

Hi Everbody,

Wasson thanks for your interest on the subject. I would like to add the customs fields mentioned on the db. But I do not know where to start, whcih files do I have to edit and which tables to be changed in db. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Ugur

PS. I am not a php guru but try to do my best. :roll:

There's something here that bothers me.

What you want to do is really very sensible. You want to have searchable, specifcally named fields that describe you product. These aren't like product attributes, I mean, you don't get a choice of sku with a book. But you might want to search all skus for a particular book.

What we need is a way to have user-definable fields for searchable attributes. I actually need this very functionality myself for a site I'm planning.

We need a module that will let us declare N different fields for each product, and then have those fields available via EP. But it shouldn't require database changes for those specific fields, just via the web interface.

Let me see what I can do about that.....

Tim

What you want to do is really very sensible.  You want to have searchable, specifcally named fields that describe you product.  These aren't like product attributes, I mean, you don't get a choice of sku with a book.  But you might want to search all skus for a particular book.

What we need is a way to have user-definable fields for searchable attributes.  I actually need this very functionality myself  for a site I'm planning.

We need a module that will let us declare N different fields for each product, and then have those fields available via EP. But it shouldn't require database changes for those specific fields, just via the web interface.

Tim

Tim that would be wonderful if you could do something about that. I guess it will be useful for a lot of people.

Cheers

Ugur

What you want to do is really very sensible.  You want to have searchable, specifcally named fields that describe you product.  These aren't like product attributes, I mean, you don't get a choice of sku with a book.  But you might want to search all skus for a particular book.

What we need is a way to have user-definable fields for searchable attributes.  I actually need this very functionality myself  for a site I'm planning.

Tim

What about this...add a table that consists of say...5 fields, search_one, search_two, etc.

Make it available in the admin, and be able to define up to 5 (or whatever) search terms, and when a search is done, go through all fields in that table to find matches. You can rank by number of fields matched, etc.

You can add the search terms at the same time you enter products, or from an import if available.

This way there are no other table changes that need to be made, the search can be made in it's own page, and the impact on the rest of the setup is minimal.

Aodhan

• 4 months later...
:?:
Hi,

My original product db has the following fields:

book_name

writer

publisher

description

published_year

number_of_pages

isbn

sku...

3. How could I import this huge db to mysql? ( is it possible with easypopulate?)

Thanks and Regards

Ugur

Hi Everbody,

Wasson thanks for your interest on the subject. I would like to add the customs fields mentioned on the db. But I do not know where to start, whcih files do I have to edit and which tables to be changed in db. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Ugur

PS. I am not a php guru but try to do my best. :roll:

Ugur,

Have you accomplished the modification of creating custom fields.

I also need the same functionality as well.

Regards,

Emre

• 1 month later...

Have the same fields to add for a bookstore I'm planning.

Can someone that solve this problem release a detailed step by step howto ?

I think this will help and be appreciated by a lot of us.

Ed

Yes, help please!

I've added a products_author field into the products_description table, and then updated adminincludeslanguagesenglishcategories.php, catalogincludeslanguagesenglishproduct_info.php, admincategories, and catalogproduct_info.php, following the general example of the products_name field. Then I added function tep_get_products_author into general.php.

Still, no dice.

I know I'm missing plenty (PHP newbie), but what?

Words of wisdom and encouragement, please!

• 2 weeks later...