• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2 minutes on my site, and 300+ clicks

I just happened to have LeapFrog open, and was watching some people come and go. Then someone came on, and they were really flying through my products....at the rate of about 2 per second. I was way too fast to have been a genuine visitor.

Their IP was 64.213.203.147

The lookup sounded like it was just a normal ISP. Buy the time I had chance to go into CPanel and ban their IP they had clicked over 300 times.

Does anyone know what this could have been, could it be a hacker or some malicious attack?

I just happened to have LeapFrog open, and was watching some people come and go. Then someone came on, and they were really flying through my products....at the rate of about 2 per second. I was way too fast to have been a genuine visitor.

The lookup sounded like it was just a normal ISP. Buy the time I had chance to go into CPanel and ban their IP they had clicked over 300 times.

Does anyone know what this could have been, could it be a hacker or some malicious attack?

Hi. That IP number is registered to alexa.com. alexa is a traffic ranking website. your website was being crawled / spidered by their webbot / spider. In order to list / rank your site. It's perfectly harmless.

You can enable / disable spiders from opening sessions in your oscommerce admin. You will probably see similar things again from the googlebot, livebot and yahoobot as and when the come and crawl your site.

A few useful sites for you that will tell you if an IP is a bot or not are:

www.showmyip.com www.hostip.info (this one gives you a map of the customers location too) and ip-lookup.net (this is the one buit into igoogle)

Hope that helps

Brian

Hi. That IP number is registered to alexa.com. alexa is a traffic ranking website. your website was being crawled / spidered by their webbot / spider. In order to list / rank your site. It's perfectly harmless.

You can enable / disable spiders from opening sessions in your oscommerce admin. You will probably see similar things again from the googlebot, livebot and yahoobot as and when the come and crawl your site.

A few useful sites for you that will tell you if an IP is a bot or not are:

www.showmyip.com www.hostip.info (this one gives you a map of the customers location too) and ip-lookup.net (this is the one buit into igoogle)

Hope that helps

Brian

Thats a great help thanks. Im familiar with the usual bots, its was just the worrying rate at which it was crawling.... but thats put my mind at ease.

Can you tell me what LeapFrog is? I have never heard of this. Sounds like it can do interesting things.

Thanks!

Can you tell me what LeapFrog is? I have never heard of this. Sounds like it can do interesting things.

Thanks!

You can find it here.

Its the most single impressive contribution you can ever install! It basically gives you a live view of what the customers on your site are doing, what products they are looking at, what they have in the cart etc. Its doesnt have any reporting functions....but it looks cool so who cares!

Archived