• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Testers required for store in development

Carbon

Hi,

Are any of you interested in testing the Online Order System (inc' CCC) of my site?

Here are some unique features you will be able to see and test...

GENERAL:

1: Proper breadcrumb navigation that never scrolls off the page.

2: Page specific Help button in nav panel.

3: Cart info in nav panel.

4: Page specific icons for Sitemap, Bookmark, Print, Email and Feedback.

INDEX (Index.php):

1: Welcome panel with customer specific information.

2: Three easy choices... Select, Customise or Design a system.

SELECT (select.php):

1: Summary cell featuring preview slideshow and easy pick list of available systems, instructions, Which One? and best sellers.

2: Compare cell with undockable remote for navigation.

3: Individual system cells with links to reviews, details, overview and Add to Order.

4: Details page that strings all the included component cells together so you can see exactly what is included.

CUSTOMISE (customise.php) (replaces ccc.php):

1: Summary cell featuring preview slideshow and easy pick list of available systems, instructions, Which One? and best sellers.

2: Compare cell with undockable remote for navigation.

3: Individual system cells with link to customise (build.php).

4: Tip panel to outline rules used to customise system (eg. case etc will be black, only motherboards that support multi-core processors etc).

CONFIGURE (build.php):

1: Each system can be linked to from ANY part of the site so no need to go through ccc.php.

2: Dynamic price in breadcrumb.

3: Reset configuration to default components.

4: Clickable component list that links to each component on the page.

5: "Please Select" is removed from dropdown menus if component is required.

6: "Please Select" is replaced with "No Floppy Drive Required" etc.

7: Select item is highlighted in dropdown option list.

8: Components are grouped in dropdown menu options.

9: Selecting an AMD or Intel processor updates the motherboard options to only show compatible boards.

10: The number of installed Hard Drives updates available RAID options.

11: Required/Optional button opens a window with an overview of requirements.

12: System specific recommendations for each component.

13: Custom More Info window.

14: Add to Order completely skips the unnecessary Custom Checkout page.

15: You can now use the back button without losing data.

MY ORDER (shopping_cart.php):

1: Dynamic Total Order cost displayed in breadcrumb.

2: Delivery option costs displayed and auto-updates if quantities are changed.

3: Place Order button appears in nav panel once a system is added to the order.

4: Single Delete button for each system instead of a checkbox and Update button.

5: Custom systems can be edited or an overview displayed for pre-configured systems.

PLACE ORDER (place_order.php):

1: A total single page replacement for the usual 4 step checkout process.

2: The conventional 4 step checkout is available from the Help page.

3: Guest purchasers are diverted to create an account before returning.

4: Checkboxes replaced with styled buttons for selecting delivery address etc.

5: Double-click prevention on the Confirm Order button.

6: Changes to Delivery Options are reflected in the nav panel cart.

7: Two new payment modules have been added (By Post and On Delivery).

8: Cleared comments actually clear. (OSC only edits and does not clear).

VIEW ORDER (account_history_info.php):

1: Summary cell listing all systems, any delivery options, total cost and overall status.

2: Each system's overview is listed.

3: Invoice cell features a proper Sub-Total, Delivery and V.A.T. section (all subtotals are fixed).

4: Full (fancier than "Fancier Invoice") printable invoice.

5: Colour coded interactive status cell showing all steps of the build process.

6: Fully interactive message/history section for questions, answers, comments, private notes and responses.

EMAILS:

1: Combined plain text and embedded mime html emails.

2: Text versions are properly formatted.

3: HTML version includes images.

4: Emails are interactive with dynamically generated info and links.

INFORMATION FOR TESTERS

Thank you for taking the time to test the Microbuild Online Order System.

The purpose of this initial round of testing is to gather feedback about the “Customer Experience”, not the prices, products or systems. What we are interested in is navigation, interface and features, so feel free to look around and try things out.

Here are a few things you need to be aware of...

1: The Online Order System (shop) is NOT live and orders are only simulated for testing purposes.

2: All images, products, systems and prices are ficticious place holders.

3: If you want your account to be deleted after you have finished testing please send a request to the Order department.

4: The OSC Credit Card payment module is used for testing only. Use card number 4111111111111111 with any valid expiry date.

5: Although all orders are only simulated the system will still email order confirmations to you.

6: We may simulate typical build scenarios which may involve sending further example update emails.

7: Use the FEEDBACK icon in the page heading to comment on a specific page.

8: A hidden forum has been set up to discuss your feedback (or you can reply in this forum). Contact us for access.

You can access the Secure Order Site here.

Many Thanks

Carbon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site. Not only is the osCommerce solution being used, but valuable feedback will also be presented by the osCommerce community."

"live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site. Not only is the osCommerce solution being used, but valuable feedback will also be presented by the osCommerce community."

Hi, as stated in the OT, this store is NOT live.

Cheers

Carbon

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

After loads of blood, sweat and tears I have finally completed the "Design a System" section of the secure order site and would really appreciate it if you guys could test it for me.

Here's the related news article...

The User Specified Design system goes live for testing. If you’ve been reading our Website news articles you’ll be familiar with this unique feature, for those that haven’t here’s a quick recap... If a customer just wants to buy a ready made package they can “Select” one of our preconfigured systems, or changes can be made by choosing “Customise” but what if the customer wants something that isn’t available?

This is where the “Design” system comes in as it allows customers to either select known components or specify their own which means that they get what they want and we don’t miss a sale. Because each system created this way is totally unique we have developed a system that automatically confirms the request and begins the quotation process which includes regular updates and an interactive online history. Design revisions can be made either before or after quoting with automatic approval requests and dynamic expiry dates.

If you would like to try the Design system click here.

Cheers

Carbon

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have updated the checkout process on my site and would appreciate any feedback you may have to offer.

This update has three main goals...

1: A true SINGLE PAGE checkout solution.

2: Memory for all fields and selections.

3: Three checkout types, Step by Step, By Section and Express.

Other Features...

All in One form concept - enter info in any order instead of expecting a sequence.

Page reconfigures to present multi-stage checkout processes at any time with no data loss and inteligentally goes back to last chapter.

Summary cell is updated in real time with abreviated information (expandable).

Quick help messages with animated pointers.

Auto field labelling with error highlighting.

3 levels of error checking: 1: Update 2: Submit 3: Post.

Each section cell labelled with optional or required for easy use.

Update messages appear as cool popups in Step by Step mode or as timed messages on next page.

Improved visuals and access to multi-checkouts added to My Order (and nav Place Order button).

Checkout mode buttons show preview image, direct link, show current mode and auto hide.

Progress ring shows current and next stage with clickable or info links on ring segments.

More streamlined cells with images and field labelling system (error, auto clear, auto insert, auto check and reset).

Proper removal of reference note.

Each page has a back button (and browser back button will work too).

Collated submit error ALERTS with cell specific messages.

Status tick or cross for each summary item to indicate current status.

Here's a mock-up of the content area in Express (single page/form) mode...

place_order_v3_preview_mini.gif

Access the (NOT live) store here.

Many thanks

Carbon

Hi,

Access the (NOT live) store here.

Many thanks

Carbon

In addition to the forum rules, live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site. Not only is the osCommerce solution being used, but valuable feedback will also be presented by the osCommerce community.

If you come across a post not related to an osCommerce powered live store, the live store not having the "Powered by osCommerce" text, or the live store breaking the forum rules of presenting osCommerce related services (eg, web hosting), please report it so it can be deleted.

In addition to the forum rules, live stores discussed in this channel must be powered by osCommerce Online Merchant and have the "Powered by osCommerce" text displayed on the site. Not only is the osCommerce solution being used, but valuable feedback will also be presented by the osCommerce community.

If you come across a post not related to an osCommerce powered live store, the live store not having the "Powered by osCommerce" text, or the live store breaking the forum rules of presenting osCommerce related services (eg, web hosting), please report it so it can be deleted.

1: The forum rules state that LIVE stores discussed must display the "Powered by osCommerce" link. My store is NOT live. You can't bend the rules to suit your own personal agenda.

2: The official copyright rules of osCommerce state...

The osCommerce copyright announcement displayed on the Catalog side of osCommerce Online Merchant can, however, be modified, and even be removed.

and

The separate text "Powered by osCommerce", or similar text, displayed on both Administration Tool and Catalog modules is optional to have displayed.

3: The damn thing IS there on my site anyway, right where you would expect it to be (in the copyright text at the foot of the site).

Carbon

1: The forum rules state that LIVE stores discussed must display the "Powered by osCommerce" link. My store is NOT live. You can't bend the rules to suit your own personal agenda.

The additional rules for this forum also state that only posts related to LIVE stores are allowed here....

Instead of fighting those rules can't you just add that line somewhere until you really go live? Then if someone complains about it not being there (anymore) we'll close the topic and everybody is happy.

The additional rules for this forum also state that only posts related to LIVE stores are allowed here....

Instead of fighting those rules can't you just add that line somewhere until you really go live? Then if someone complains about it not being there (anymore) we'll close the topic and everybody is happy.

Hi Jan,

Sorry, but it doesn't say that at all, what the additional rules state is that IF your store is LIVE then you must display the link.

Anyhoo, it's a moot point as I do display the link as mentioned in my last post (point 3).

Carbon

...My store is NOT live. You can't bend the rules to suit your own personal agenda....

the opposite may be true - you are bending the rules to suit your needs either unknowingly or otherwise. here's the common sense: a store is considered LIVE if your post it here and the public can access it, on the other hand, a shop is considered DEAD if no one can access it either because no one knows its existence or they actually dead. anyone can claim their shops are not LIVE according to you logic.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

the opposite may be true - you are bending the rules to suit your needs either unknowingly or otherwise. here's the common sense: a store is considered LIVE if your post it here and the public can access it, on the other hand, a shop is considered DEAD if no one can access it either because no one knows its existence or they actually dead. anyone can claim their shops are not LIVE according to you logic.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'll chalk this one up to a difference of opinion, you reckon a store is live if it's posted here and the public can access it, I reckon a store is live if you can actually buy something from it.

Anyhoo, live or not, I do display the link so is there any chance we can get back to the matter in hand instead of moaning about semantics?

Carbon

Hi Ken,

I'll chalk this one up to a difference of opinion, you reckon a store is live if it's posted here and the public can access it, I reckon a store is live if you can actually buy something from it.

Anyhoo, live or not, I do display the link so is there any chance we can get back to the matter in hand instead of moaning about semantics?

Carbon

OK, I know know where it is stated. If it was there previously, I do apologise.

That whole bottom line is almost illegible. I can only read it if I highlight the text. Would a customer bother to do that?

OK, I know know where it is stated. If it was there previously, I do apologise.

That whole bottom line is almost illegible. I can only read it if I highlight the text. Would a customer bother to do that?

Thanks Leslie,

I know it's small but it does have exactly the same "limelight" as my own copyright notices and technically I think that the guys at OSC are after the Google ranking based on incoming links rather than getting their name up in a fifteen foot tall font.

I can see a big market for testmysite.com... it's sooooo hard to get people to do it ;)

Carbon

PS: The funny thing is (based on the fact that most replies have been about giving OSC credit) is that I have gone above the call of duty by including OSC in my partners page.

I am at a loss here. what are you selling?

index link goes to order and order goes to shopping cart, log in goes to order, help goes to order. Site is non functioning and incompleate and not ready for any kind of review. :angry: ;) :huh: <_< :rolleyes:

Thanks Leslie,

I know it's small but it does have exactly the same "limelight" as my own copyright notices and technically I think that the guys at OSC are after the Google ranking based on incoming links rather than getting their name up in a fifteen foot tall font.

I can see a big market for testmysite.com... it's sooooo hard to get people to do it ;)

Carbon

PS: The funny thing is (based on the fact that most replies have been about giving OSC credit) is that I have gone above the call of duty by including OSC in my partners page.

To be honest with your site, it might be technically brilliant, but I found I was losing interest while waiting for everything to load.

Do you really need ssl on everything?

To be honest with your site, it might be technically brilliant, but I found I was losing interest while waiting for everything to load.

Do you really need ssl on everything?

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look. I understand what you're saying, let me explain...

The site does take longer than most to load initially because the frameset has to be loaded but once it has, subsequent page loads are much quicker because only the content area changes.

Also, because the site uses frames you have to encrypt everything and you can't turn SSL on and off depending on page. The down side to this is that pages take a fraction longer to load but the up side is that customers know that ALL comunication within the Order site is secure. I see this as an advantage because a lot of sites only turn on SSL for the payment pages and not for things like your account pages where the customer enters their personal information and would still like that data safe guarded.

Carbon

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look. I understand what you're saying, let me explain...

The site does take longer than most to load initially because the frameset has to be loaded but once it has, subsequent page loads are much quicker because only the content area changes.

Also, because the site uses frames you have to encrypt everything and you can't turn SSL on and off depending on page. The down side to this is that pages take a fraction longer to load but the up side is that customers know that ALL comunication within the Order site is secure. I see this as an advantage because a lot of sites only turn on SSL for the payment pages and not for things like your account pages where the customer enters their personal information and would still like that data safe guarded.

Carbon

I understand what you are staying. Is that what buyers want?

From what I have read, ssl pages are not indexed by search engines.

I understand what you are staying. Is that what buyers want?

From what I have read, ssl pages are not indexed by search engines.

Who knows what buyers want? If we did know, we would all be rich ;)

Yes, Google does index ssl pages.

Carbon

I am sure that your site is technically very good, but I didn't like it. I haven't the time to comment on everything, but here are my comments:

1. Why argue with the veterans of this site like Coopco and Jan Zonjee? If(?) your site is based on osCommerce, then, if you want comments, why not put the "Powered by osCommerce" on the site?

2. Where are you from, Canada, Australia, Russia? Put a contact address on the site.

3. You appear to have concentrated so much on the front end that you have forgotten the shopping cart completely!

Sorry Carbon, but I don't like your site. You would probably laugh at my simple site, but it does work, people know what we sell and it does get customers!

I am sure that your site is technically very good, but I didn't like it. I haven't the time to comment on everything, but here are my comments:

1. Why argue with the veterans of this site like Coopco and Jan Zonjee? If(?) your site is based on osCommerce, then, if you want comments, why not put the "Powered by osCommerce" on the site?

A: I don't, all I do is continually and repeatedly tell everyone that the "Powered by osCommerce" is there in plain site exactly where it should be, but for some strange reason people will glance (mere seconds) at a page and then feel that they're in a position to comment.

2. Where are you from, Canada, Australia, Russia? Put a contact address on the site.

A: UK (which you would know if you actually got as far as trying to place an order). There is no postal address yet as I haven't launched and do not want people turning up at my doorstep, plus I may move premises before launch too.

3. You appear to have concentrated so much on the front end that you have forgotten the shopping cart completely!

A: What rubbish, it's right there and even has one of the main nav buttons for it, you just didn't look. It's called "My Order" instead of "Shopping Cart" (although the file is still shopping_cart.php). I felt cart sounded out of place when you're buying custom PCs and are probably only adding one to an order.

Sorry Carbon, but I don't like your site. You would probably laugh at my simple site, but it does work, people know what we sell and it does get customers!

Thanks for looking, but look more closely in the future ;)

Carbon

Thanks for looking, but look more closely in the future ;)

Carbon

Me, I looked closely, but:

The site is very difficult to understand/navigate/browse.

It is counter-intuitive.

The look is terrible. All is too little.

AND: Your customers MUST UNDERTSAND PERFECTLY AT FIRST SIGHT how the website works, where to find the normale shopping cart elements of every e-commerce store, ...

If they don't understand, they will click away, to your competitors that offers a simpler website than yours.

I love oscommerce and OS software! I'm not a programmer, I'm only a learning boy and a translator :) I love full contribution packages!

Alright, I have had it!!! Will someone close this thread. The powered by oscommerse in removed the site is a bunch of waste of time. There isn't any way to purchase anything and infact it is not osc.

I do however believe you want feedback just to have free advertisement for your site........ Well, didn't work.

The test shop has some interesting functions, but the usabilety is very poor.

A start in improving it would be to remove the iframe set-up.

Alright, I have had it!!! Will someone close this thread.

Hang on!.. she's angry...

The powered by oscommerse in removed the site is a bunch of waste of time.

... That's not even English...

There isn't any way to purchase anything and infact it is not osc.

... and she's stupid. Not osC, honestly!

I do however believe you want feedback just to have free advertisement for your site........ Well, didn't work.

... why would I want free advertising for my site? There's no adverts on it for me to generate an income, it's not finished and you can't buy anything.

The test shop has some interesting functions, but the usabilety is very poor.

A start in improving it would be to remove the iframe set-up.

Hi toyicebear,

I have some code waiting in the wings that will allow the user to remove the frameset and expand the nav, heading and content area to fill the browser window.

Cheers

Carbon

Archived