• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newsletter & Subscribers Module v 0.1

Criz

Yes Iam very intersted too.

Osc sis so great and the newletter module is so not up to date...

why not multi part html/tekst sending?

why not snif for opening rates? bounced back rates etc.

I think there should be come an update of this nesletter moldule cause the osc cores is top notch!

Iam a webmaster but php rooky so can not do it myslef. Anyone?

Keesjan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I fixed the problem. This is what I did:

:D

at: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...ewsletter&st=40

I followed the directions from Scotty. I still have an error, though at least it's different <_< :

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class newsletter_subscribers in /home/*****/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 13

line 13 and 14:

class newsletter_subscribers {

var $show_choose_audience, $header, $title, $contenta, $unsubscribea, $unsubscribeb, $footer;

I have no idea what to do with it. how do i fix this error? I am wondering if part of my problem is that i originally set up the directory so that admin is public_html/catalog/admin and i am wondering if it's messing up the newsletter contribution since 'admin' is inside of 'catalog'. if this is problem, how do i find out which files to change so that they are looking for the information in the right places???

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, i didn't have time now to work in this contribution. And my server had very serious problem with the mail, i can't test the contribution so i better go to another better server and try to work there.

Bye...

Ditto this:

helohelo

Yes Iam very intersted too.

I think there should be come an update of this nesletter moldule cause the osc cores is top notch!

I am also interested in an update to this module and would be willing to help if someone would point me in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

The newsletter can be made to do html (by using a wysiwyg contribution which converts several things to html). Actually I find that the html editor is hard to use and doen't produce very good code. However the main problem with using it here is that it is html only, whereas what you need for a newsletter is mime -html or text depending on what the client can receive. If you have $100 to spare there is a php program called 12all mentioned earlier in the thread which it pretty easy to use but hasn't afaik been integrated into osC.

Edited by radders

I am posting this link in hopes that someone will know what to do with it and build a Html intellegent mod for this great shopping cart. Best I can tell the bulk of the work is done.... just needs to be implimented into the existing Oscommerce Frame work.

I am new to Php but from the feature list it would appear to capture the requirements for a basic "intellegent" news letter facility. My appologies if this is not what it appears to be.

http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

Features

Can send emails with multiple TOs, CCs, BCCs and REPLY-TOs

Redundant SMTP servers

Multipart/alternative emails for mail clients that do not read HTML email

Support for 8bit, base64, binary, and quoted-printable encoding

Uses the same methods as the very popular AspEmail active server (COM) component

SMTP authentication

Word wrap

Address reset functions

HTML email

Tested on multiple SMTP servers: Sendmail, qmail, Postfix, Imail, Exchange, Mercury, Courier

Works on any win32 or *nix platform

Flexible debugging

Custom mail headers

Multiple fs, string, and binary attachments (those from database, string, etc)

Embedded image support

Yes, I looked at this one qas well. It does seem to be a very useful class. Unfortunately I never managed to work out how to use classes in php! I think there is still a fair bit of work to be done but I'm sure, a front-end to this could be built that could be replace osC's newsletter module.

I am keen to see this module updated, or something better put together. One thing I did notice is that when a user unsubscribes, his details still remain in teh database. With a lot of the new privacy laws this might be a bit close to what is actually allowed. If a user unsubscribes, it should do check to see the registered member is a customer, if so then change the newsletter status to unsubscribed. If they are not a customer, then the email should be deleted from the database totally.

I would be interested in putting up some money if someone can either fix this or integrate something better.

thnx

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, so I've been through the newsletter module fix hell, and now I'm ready to send a test newsletter. Only thing is, even though I can create a newsletter, there is no way for me to SEND one from the admin interface. Can send emails, just not newsletters. No send button or anything. Is this just something wrong with my setup, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed newsletter_module_v02 I have found all of the fixes to the errors so far except this one

I am trying to send a test newsletter, and I received the follow errors

Warning: main(includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/scot0/corshas.com/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 227

Warning: main(includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/scot0/corshas.com/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 227

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /hsphere/local/home/scot0/corshas.com/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 227

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: newsletter_subscribers in /hsphere/local/home/scot0/corshas.com/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 231

My first question should be easy to answer

I am using webshell and notepad to edit the files, what other program can I use that will number the lines of code (counting the lines is such a pain)

I should also say that when I started to make the test newsletter there was a warning that I should read the help file before proceeding. Well it didn't open up so I went on anyway. Now the link to the help file is gone. It certainly could be operator error

Thanks in advance for the lesson and help.

Scott

On your first question -- I had the same problem and nobody answered, so I found someone who had contributed to it and he helped me. The download on there is/was missing some files, which leads to the errors you are mentioning. I've asked him to upload the complete zip archive that he sent me. Will post after he responds.

Susan

Susan,

I found my problem

I had the filename wrong in admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletters_subscribers.php

I had to remove the "s"

HTH,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I have this mod installed though when I got to view a product I am directed to the subscription center instead of the product info page. Where would I look to fix this.

My Webpage I have included a link.

Thanks for your time,

Scott

First off, thanks to all of you who have posted your errors and fixes...you've helped me fix my own site and I appreciate it!

Question one: When a user wants to unsubscribe at subscription_center.php, they click the "unsubscribe" radio button and then the "continue" button...which returns them to the same page (subscription_center.php) without any indication that they have been unsubscribed (which, in Admin, they actually have been). Is this the way it's supposed to work, or should there be some kind of unsubscribe verification?

Question two: Is it indeed true that we can't embed html links into the emails? Isn't one of the main points of a newsletter to drive traffic to a site? Has anyone developed a workaround for this issue?

Thanks!

Find the following line in subscription_center.php

<? echo $email  ; ?>

Add following line before this

<input type="hidden" name="email" value="<? echo $email  ; ?>">