• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newsletter & Subscribers Module v 0.1

Criz

Hi Folks,

I am just installing a neat contribution that you can find here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/downloads.php/co...ions,741/type,3

It looks like a good addon and I encountered some issues when installing, while I am installing I will post here a few things I ran into.

1) do not just copy the product_info.php into your directory. I kept my old one and it seems to work fine. Maybe someone can explain me what the 'new' file in the contribution ads.

2) Some files use a specific 'class' for example in newsletter_subscription.php, it looks like this:

include "includes/classes/snoopy1.class.php";

if you don't have this class defined it will generate error, so or delete this line or put // before the line to disable it.

For now it seems to work fine, just take a look at the images, some need to be added or updated. And of course don't forget to edit your own text.

Regards,

Chris

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An update while installing:

When using the update function in the newsletter admin, that will synchronize the data between the customers table and the subscribers table, I got an error message, stating that p.customers_blacklist was not found.

After deleting p.customers_blacklist, on line 214 in the file newsletter_update.php everything worked ok, and it updated the subcribers info with the customers info.

Chris

For now finished installing, disabled a few things, changed some lay-out issues, edited some text and it seems to work fine now.:D

If anyone has a question, just let me know.

Regards,

Chris

Hello

we will release soon an "updated eip version" of our contribution very soon.

1. Some functions to check the iP address and host were not included in zip causing errors. (snoopy class)

2. As well some help comments were not saved in latest sql script and a field was missing too.

3. you do not need to replace the product_info.php.

We apologise for those little mistakes

It is a module in development

Hello

we will release soon an "updated eip version" of our contribution very soon.

1. Some functions to check the iP address and host were not included in zip causing errors. (snoopy class)

2. As well some help comments were not saved in latest sql script and a field was missing too.

3. you do not need to replace the product_info.php.

We apologise for those little mistakes

It is a module in development

You can drop the snoopy.class completely (if you do not zip check)...

you do not need it as osC has its own e-mail checking (against DNS servers) implemented.

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

• 4 weeks later...

I've just loaded up this add-on and have a few questions:

1. In the zip file there appears to be missing unsubscribe.php which is linked from the default e-mail sent to customers. Does unsubscribe.php exist and need adding to the zip file or does this line just need deleting?

2. The link from the default e-mail to customers that states

"Visit our Subscription Center to edit your interests at: http://[webaddress]/subscription_center.php?action=view&email=[e-mail address]"

does not show the required information from the link. However, if you were to go to http://[webaddress]/subscription_center.php and then type in the e-mail address, the page is displayed with the details. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my system?

3. In admin under "Update table" what does it do and what do I have to do to make it work? I assume it compares e-mail addresses from registered customers and brings those that are not in the newsletter tables into the newsletter tables. The help link does not work so I was wondering what I have to be careful with.

Cheers

Just an added note to the previous message.

I've just tested the newsletter and note that an HTML newsletter just returns the HTML code in e-mail programs such as Outlook, however, it does return the correct pages in online e-mail programs such as Hotmail.

Do I need to turn something on or make an adjustment to make sure the html page is returned and not the html code?

I had a similar problem with the built-in OSC newsletter manager (see http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=0) but cannot work out what needs changing in this add-on. Any help much appreciated.

could someone that has installed this let me know the address where I could take a peek at it before installing? I just want to see what this page looks like before I install/play around with it. Thanks in advance...

After installing this contribution I recieve the following error from the admin section:

1146 - Table 'catalog.TABLE_NEWSLETTERS' doesn't exist

select count(*) as total from TABLE_NEWSLETTERS where module = 'newsletter_subscribers'

I have had a look through the sql file that was included, and their is no mention of a Table called Newsletters.

Has this been left out or have a done something wrong

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In response to an earlier post (I didn't see an resolutions to it here yet.)

"Visit our Subscription Center to edit your interests at: http://[webaddress]/subscription_center.php?action=view&email=[e-mail address]"

does not show the required information from the link. However, if you were to go to http://[webaddress]/subscription_center.php and then type in the e-mail address, the page is displayed with the details. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my system?

In the includes/newsletter.php the path to this needs to be motifed slightly. A portion of code needs to be changed from:

subscription_center.php?action=viewl&email=

to the following:

subscription_center.php?action=search_email&email=

Remember... Pillage BEFORE you burn!

Looking into it now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

unsubscribe.php is a file contained in my "Newsletter Auto Unsubscribe" (in the 'Others' contribution section) contribution that I believe this author is integrating with their contribution.

You can get the missing file from there, however , i'm nto sure if they made chenges to it to get it to work with this contributiuon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I did this as well, but since the unsubscribe is an auto-unsubscribe there is not a box for a person to fill in their name. I had to make a few modifications to both scripts for them to work how I needed them.

For unsubscribe, I created a form on the page that grabbed the email address value from the URL if present otherwise allows for a person to enter their email address in a form on the page.

The in the unsubscribe done, I modified it so that it would delete a users from the subscribers table (which is people who are not regsitered but were receiving the newsletter) you could also modify it so that it just disables that table, but I found that if a users is disabled in the subscriber table only, then they are unable to resubscribe again.

Next thing I did was to modify the subscribe contribution so that all users could sign up from the same place weather they were registered or non registered users as the process was slightly different. I have completely done away with the subscription center. If you need help completing any of these steps, let me know and I can send you the files.

Remember... Pillage BEFORE you burn!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just an added note to the previous message.

I've just tested the newsletter and note that an HTML newsletter just returns the HTML code in e-mail programs such as Outlook, however, it does return the correct pages in online e-mail programs such as Hotmail.

Do I need to turn something on or make an adjustment to make sure the html page is returned and not the html code?

I had a similar problem with the built-in OSC newsletter manager (see http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=0) but cannot work out what needs changing in this add-on. Any help much appreciated.

I have the same problem - anyone help me, please? :? :)

• 4 weeks later...

newsletter version 0.2

seem to have a problem with the help button which is the javascript java script:NewWindow('popup_help.php?HELP_ID=2','p&g','400','600','center','front')

i get error on page how can i fix so it will display the help

• 1 month later...

I get an error in newsletters_subscribers_view.php....when I mouse over to edit a subscriber it doesn't work. If I manually change the cID in the URL then it works...I have to think the error lies in the code below. Anyone have a clue to fix this. This is for the Newsletter & Subscribers contrib found here... http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,535

So far it looks good but I havent tested a newsletter yet. Please help me out with the following code if you can.

if ( (is_object($cInfo)) && ($subscribers['subscribers_id'] == $cInfo->subscribers_id) ) {

echo ' <tr class="dataTableRowSelected" onmouseover="this.style.cursor='hand'" onclick="document.location.href='' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW, tep_get_all_get_params(array('cID', 'action')) . 'cID=' . $cInfo->subscribers_id . '&action=edit') . ''">' . "n";

} else {

echo ' <tr class="dataTableRow" onmouseover="this.className='dataTableRowOver';this.style.cursor='hand'" onmouseout="this.className='dataTableRow'" onclick="document.location.href='' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW, tep_get_all_get_params(array('cID')) . 'cID=' . $cInfo->subscribers_id) . ''">' . "n";

}

?>