osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What version is my shop?

Jack_mcs

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to upgrade a customer site and I have run into the following regarding version:

The includes/application_top.php file has this about the version:

// define the project version
include('includes/version.php');

I have had a look at the version.php file and it has this line:

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'CRE Loaded v6.2 B2B');
define('PROJECT_PATCH', '13');

I am pretty sure this version is extremely old. Can anyone tell me if upgrading from this version is a lot of effort?

Should I start fresh?

Does the newer version allow me greater control over styling? What other benefits would prompt me to require an upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

That's a CRE shop, which is different than an oscommerce shop (although they are based on the same code). So the version numbers mentioned in this thread won't apply to it. CRE started a new policy where you have to pay to use it so, I would think, the upgrades are free. But you would need to ask in the CRE forums to find that out.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

ok so OSCommerce doesn't even tell you which version it is? ummmmm, why would they hide that? Seems to me it would be useful information and could (SHOULD) be in the footer somewhere.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It isn't that the version is being hidden. The main version number is listed. But patches were released to fix various problems and those patches didn't provide a new version number. It was just an oversight, I guess, in the patch releases.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 weeks later...
Be sure you have the Search Engine Friendly option in admin->Configuration->My Store turned off. If it is, then you've most likely made a mistake in the changes.

Jack

Should this be turn on and does it mean it is SEO friendly

It only works on some servers and then doesn't provide very SEO friendly url's so it should never be used.

Jack

oh is it?

how to know which server csn use?

anyone heard of Magic SEO Url (osCommerce SEO)

is it really good and SEO?

• 1 year later...

If you have an MS1 shop, I wouldn't even consider upgrading to RC2. If you have an MS2 shop, the upgrade can be very difficult and probably not worth it but the database can be used.

Jack

Hello.

I have version MS2.

Why do you say the upgrade is probably not worth it, because it is very difficult?

I have many customised contributions so a clean install isn't practical.

If one doesn't upgrade from MS2 to a newer version then aren't there security concerns?

I have version MS2.

Why do you say the upgrade is probably not worth it, because it is very difficult?

I have many customised contributions so a clean install isn't practical.

If one doesn't upgrade from MS2 to a newer version then aren't there security concerns?

You may want to reread my post since I never said upgrading from MS2 was not worth it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Here's what your wrote Jack, feel free to clarify your statement -

It depends on what you mean by "very old." If you have an MS1 shop, I wouldn't even consider upgrading to RC2. If you have an MS2 shop, the upgrade can be very difficult and probably not worth it but the database can be used.

Jack

Here's what your wrote Jack, feel free to clarify your statement -

I stand corrected. I did say that but you've taken it out of context. The op that I responded to said, or I interpreted it that way, as he had a basic shop and was concerned about losing his data. If one has an MS2 shop with hardly any changes made to the files, there is no valid reason, other than you wanting the experience, I suppose, to upgrade it. Just install an RC2 shop and upgrade the database.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Fair enough, but if one has a highly modified MS2 site should one still go through the trouble of upgrading?

Fair enough, but if one has a highly modified MS2 site should one still go through the trouble of upgrading?

Probably. But some contributions aren't directly compatible with RC2 so you may end up having to upgrading a number of them, making the upgrade nearly as time consuming as starting over. There's no one answer for upgrading.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi!

Way back in page 1 I was discussing whether or not it was worth me updating my version to RC2 etc. I ended up decided not to, but I did manage to update the patches so my version is now OsCommerce 2.2-MS2 with patch 060817.

I was wondering if there has been another patch that I need to consider now?

I am trying to get my shop working with register globals on, and am having all sorts of trouble, and now don't know where to go next. Was wondering if this might have any impact?

EDIT: an afterthought - is there anywhere I can download a clean copy of MS2.2 with the patches installed? It would be nice to be able to compare these files to check for reasons my site isn't working.

Way back in page 1 I was discussing whether or not it was worth me updating my version to RC2 etc. I ended up decided not to, but I did manage to update the patches so my version is now OsCommerce 2.2-MS2 with patch 060817.

I was wondering if there has been another patch that I need to consider now?

I am trying to get my shop working with register globals on, and am having all sorts of trouble, and now don't know where to go next. Was wondering if this might have any impact?

EDIT: an afterthought - is there anywhere I can download a clean copy of MS2.2 with the patches installed? It would be nice to be able to compare these files to check for reasons my site isn't working.

There's not an official, patched, version, to my knowledge. There are other changes that need to be made for security reasons, like deleting the file_manager.php file, but those aren't in the latest version either so that's a different matter. The code should already work with register globals on. If you mean to have it work with it off, which is the desired setting, then there is a contribution for that.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You're right Jack, I meant to say that I'm trying to get it working with register globals off.

I've already looked at two contributions, but am having no joy :( I've started a new thread, as it's not really related to this... http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/358708-register-globals/ would love some help if you've got time.

Incidently, my other option to try and get this working is to upgrade. At this stage do you think I'm better to upgrade to rc2.2 or to wait it out and hope that v3 is closer than expected?

Incidently, my other option to try and get this working is to upgrade. At this stage do you think I'm better to upgrade to rc2.2 or to wait it out and hope that v3 is closer than expected?

That's the question on everyones mind. If V3 were released tomorrow, I suspect it would take a few months for all of the major bugs to be fixed. If the contributions you need are then available for it, then the wait would be worth it. But if it is released a year from now, pobably not. The question, of course, is when will it be released?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That's the question on everyones mind.

Indeed! Oh well, I think I'll need to get myself familiar with RC2a asap (my current server setup which the site is running successfully is due to be decommissioned in a months time), thanks for your help :)

• 11 months later...

- First look in includes/application_top.php and find this line

Under that will be a line that starts with define('PROJECT_VERSION'. These are the main choices:

Sorry, I am brand new to this. Where can I find the 'includes/application_top.php'??

The includes directory is located in the root of your shop (where you main index.php file is located). If that doesn't make sense to you, ask your host to point it out. Once you understand the layout, the rest will get easier.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived