• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Button Designs for OSC - Feedback from all of you needed

elbavaro

To all of you!

I have been working on the osc now for some month and liked a lot all options osc is offering.

At the beginning I found the only "little weak" part - was certain difficulty to apply different shop layouts.

Lot has been discussed in these forums about template and design and so, but for the moment I think of an easy and quick contribution.

So I did start redesigning the standard catalogue buttons. During that time I found a way to have multiple buttons generated by just one click using a Macromedia Fireworks file.

So - the question ist: Does anybody need different button designs?

If so - please let me know if there is anything I should think of, before I start designing "button sets".

I put some samples on this webpage.

http://www.win-vermieter.de/osc/index.htm

Please have a look - and give me your opinion.

Thanks for your ideas.

EL Bavaro

EL Bavaro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of this alot.

I am currently workling on creating themes for OSC, based on the Thema hack created by .... Oooh, cant remember his name, sorry who ever you are. :oops:

But this might integrate nicely with that system if we could work them together.

Please let me know what your thoughts have been so far in a Theme based contribution.

Maybe we can put all these together.

CC.

Too kewl, dewds!

Brilliant that these buttons and themes are being developed.

Aside from buttons, I'd REALLY like to replace the various little icons that come with osc.

El Bavaro: do you have a list of all the buttons? That alone would be a great start... Then other people could create their own sets of buttons.

I'm also *really* interested in the templates concept for osc in general. In fact, I've started reading up on Smarty (I hope that's the template engine we'll be going with. Does anyone know?)

OK, that's my rambling two cents worth. And, of course, thanks for your valuable work!

Great!

I've been looking myself for such a contribution.

Didn't know fireworks, only worked with photoshop but now i'm getting interested in the fireworks program.

Can you post the firework file somerwhere?

Have tried the datadriven method ? I made two xml files that contain the text for the buttons and if I create template for the buttons I can fill the text with a simple wizard.

New button set would be finished in 10 minutes or so and without writing a single letter .

"Use no way as way, have no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

Hi all, :whaasup:

Albavaro, nice buttons... :bigups:

For all: I have constructed more 'professional' and a little less 'cartoonish' icons, header pics, etc. We didn't like the cartoons. If multiple serious osC users are interested in this design (programmers for instance, who aren't very good @ design), I can post them as a contribution here.

I have to consult with my partner however concerning copyright, but if there are enough users who are really interested, he will co?perate.

Let me know on this forum, or PM me... :thumbsup:

'Time is a social construction to make the transitoriness manageable'

Hi all,  :whaasup:  

Albavaro, nice buttons...  :bigups:  

For all: I have constructed more 'professional' and a little less 'cartoonish' icons, header pics, etc.  We didn't like the cartoons. If multiple serious osC users are interested in this design (programmers for instance, who aren't very good @ design), I can post them as a contribution here.

I have to consult with my partner however concerning copyright, but if there are enough users who are really interested, he will co?perate.

Let me know on this forum, or PM me...  :thumbsup:

I would like to see what you have created.

We all choose a design style for our site based on the product and the viewers. Maybe name your button sets accordingly.

Technical, Funky, Retro, Casual

For easy options to start with:

oblong or rectangle

Well done already, and excellent idea for an osC Contribution.

Ashford

What a reaction - I never expected that much interest.

Thanks to all of you for your posts and mails over the past 3 days.

Let me quick sum up what I have learned:

to all: thanks for your feedback

to cc: we can always work together on that area. Sure.

to mazza: A datadriven method would be an excellent idea i think - could be even more flexible than my way of doing it. Only problem - i have no idea about xml - I come from a graphics background and went for the "Fireworks-solution". But I would like to see something like that working - because it could give the "normal" designer an even easier way of doing it. Please keep me posted if you go in such a direction - I would like to learn how such a datadriven way could work.

to vinc: please contact with your customer - and contribute if you have something more professional. I am always looking for new design ideas.

to AA: oh oh, I think you got me. I was thinking about naming my sets this way, but came up with my "city-name" solution. The method of naming them in certain groups (like you suggested "Technical, Funky, Retro, Casual etc.") is a good idea. I will check if I can go into that direction. Thanks.

Next steps:

Ok - there is a need - so I will do set up the sets and contribute the png files as well.

But - sorry first of all I (and you all) need to wait for the following reasons:

1. I asked Harald for the permission of using the original graphics in the buttons :D

2. I would like to set up sets which are as complete as possible. This means I will make a new post in the contribution section asking all authors of any osc contributions - if they use a new (there own button) for there contribution. This way the sets will be generated for as much moduls as possible. (Hope the rules of this board allow such a new post :? )

3. As I will be away for the next week, you will (please) have to wait some days until I have set up a little webpage where you can see what you download. (Posting all sets as one contribution here in the OSC community would not be very handy - example: one set of buttons is approx.120 KB - imagine - 8 colors for one set- with 5 different shapes - in 3 different languages.... - 120 KB x 8 x 5 x 3 =:cry: KB ) - I think a better way is a webpage where you see what you download.

Finally,

My fireworks png file will be made available after I contributed some sets. Why? -

a) because during the next weeks, I hope I will get additional input from you on new additional buttons (see 2.) and incorporate them into the png file.

B) will write some sort of instructions for the png file - because otherwise I might face more questions on it that is needed.

c) it is all a question of time (as always) - First the complete sets - than learn from user input - than improve sets and png file - than contribute the png file.[/b]

So, thanks again for your comments,

hope to get more feedback from all of you in the future.

EL Bavaro

EL Bavaro

What's the latest in your project? I would like to contribute and participate if I can...I think many people are anxiously waiting to hear from you since it's great project. I would not mind being part of it.

oh...also. Since OSC is opensource, the whole idea is to improve it and make it better so I don't think you have to ask anyone for permission to use the original artwork in this project.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Okay - lets go and start.

I finished two series of different button sets.

The milano series - 6 types - each in 6 different colors - all english language.

The vienna series - 3 types - each in 6 different colors - all english language.

Currently available at:

http://www.win-vermieter.de/osc/index.htm

I will post the buttons in the osc contribution area later - after getting some feedback from you.

So please download - and test the buttons.

Anything missing? Any problems? Comments? Let me know - please.

Have fun with it :lol: .

Regards to all of you,

EL Bavaro

EL Bavaro

I think I am one of the first one to download your images and they are absolutely beautiful...and there are so many sets I did not even have chance to look at all of them.

Wow....good job. I do graphic design as well so I would like to help so is it possible to post one of your teplate work in either psd or any format that will allow me to edit?

Also you might want to sumit a contribution at download area...it's too big to contribute each image file so upload html page with link to download aread...that's what others do.

Also post new message under contribution with title [contribution] so people know it's a new contribution.

Again...good job

Yes very nice buttons and great attitude to share them as many others of you do.

I too am as graphically talented as a giraffe and am trying to set up a site that is in the music industry., but can't find too many icons, buttons etc go with that theme.

Maybe another idea in the theme dept is to have chosen industries .. say, clothing, computers, music, health products, etc.

For example the music industry one I am making would have buttons in the categories section for. CDs, Cass (ettes), DVD, Vinyl , TShirts, Posters, Fliers, Video, Photos etc.

Maybe the idea would be to have the button template itself like in this new set of contribs, with small icons for the industry which can be added to it on one end for example.

Just an idea!!

Unfortunatley I am unable to contrib in this dept due to the talent black hole! 'know what I want tho' !!

Thanks again..

I think as many people said...it would be waste of time to develop theme until 2.2 final is released. However...I think it's not too early to start working on it...instead of just working on buttons we should create sub-project with people who are graphically talented and start creating following

1. buttons

2. optional backgrounds

3. icons (like review, check out, payment icons)

4. Style Sheets

If we develop this now, we can start using them also we can turn them into themes when 2.2 final and theme mod is released.

What do you think?

well im kind of new here but my 2 cents are like joongpark said people that are good at graphics and stuff get together and for example to combine a css stylesheet that goes along with the beautiful buttons you made there

those are my 2 cents

Wow! this is huge.

Is there a paypal address where we can express our thanks?

You might just have a niche little business here! This stuff is great.

I've got 2 OSC sites I'm setting up right now, and have 2 more of my own that I have ideas for, if you're interested, please PM me about what you'd charge for a set of custom-themed buttons.

Again, they are beautiful buttons, I'm floored, they look so nice.

Tim

request for additional buttons

catalog2imagesinfobox

there are 4 images for corners of boxes. Would be nice to have them in same theme as buttons.

includeslanguagesenglishimagesbuttons

Tell-a-friend and quick-seach button is not pretty. Would be nice to have them with themes.

Thanks...just a suggestion