• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Button Designs for OSC - Feedback from all of you needed

elbavaro

Hi to all,

before I start, I would like to thank all of you for their comments on this topic in this forum or via pm. It really helps setting up the button contribution.

Please allow to quickly answer some of the above questions:

to joongpark:

request for additional buttons

catalog2imagesinfobox

there are 4 images for corners of boxes. Would be nice to have them in same theme as buttons.

I will include the corner images on my next button sets - thanks.

includeslanguagesenglishimagesbuttons

Tell-a-friend and quick-seach button is not pretty. Would be nice to have them with themes.

I do not have these buttons - as they are certainly used by a contribution.

For this issue I started a special topic here in the contribution forum. Could you please do me a favour and post the exact name (button_xxx.gif) under this topic:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...9018&highlight=

to joongpark and asim0s:

I think as many people said...it would be waste of time to develop theme until 2.2 final is released. However...I think it's not too early to start working on it...instead of just working on buttons we should create sub-project with people who are graphically talented and start creating following  

1. buttons

2. optional backgrounds

3. icons (like review, check out, payment icons)

4. Style Sheets

If we develop this now, we can start using them also we can turn them into themes when 2.2 final and theme mod is released.

What do you think?

Great idea. I am currently thinking (with the Help of MASSA) on an even faster way to generate the buttons (Data-Driven-XML) - but we currently see some disadvantages to it.

For the moment - I will contribute buttons and some additional images (like corners or arrows) because they can be integrated easily on the PNG file I am using.

So, buttons and some additional images, I will be glad to contribute to any sort of "project".

If you guys have time you might perhaps focus on new icons and style sheets.

to wasson65:

thanks for your comments. Yes I have a paypal account an my side - but please never forget to "paypal" the core team - because without them none of my work would make sense.

to burt:

Nice sets. Thank you. Could someone compile a list of all the buttons needed to complete a set - when I have a spare bit of time I can get making some also..

I am right now putting a list of most (hope all) buttons together. Give me a week or so and I will publish (and update) it at my website and put it as a contribution. Perhaps you could also contribute on my search for all possible buttons. Please see: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...9018&highlight=

Next steps:

- wait for additional buttons to be integrated

- generate more english buttons sets

- add additional languages

Please keep on posting any ideas or comments - I always need feedback.:D

Best Regards,

EL Bavaro

http://www.win-vermieter.de/osc/index.htm

EL Bavaro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Burt,

Could someone compile a list of all the buttons needed to complete a set - when I have a spare bit of time I can get making some also...

I am currently setting up such a list. You can see it at

http://www.win-vermieter.de/osc/button_texts.htm

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

EL Bavaro :D

EL Bavaro

Hello Elari,

Thank you for your contribs but I was wondering if it would be not too much trouble to have a description of each download on your site.

I am not sure, but I think I already have a couple in my shop already and a short description would let me know.

Once again thanks,

Regards,

Ozstar

:wink:

How about fewer but more varied sets of buttons. These all seem slight variations on the originals.

For example:

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/

http://www.gap.com/

http://www.kmart.com/

http://www.amazon.com/

Better yet, if the buttons were DHTML (like the "Go" button on the lower right of this page), they could all be easily modified by editing one text file. In fact, if the whole OSCommerce layout was done with stylesheets, a significant amount of customization could be done merely by editing the CSS file.

Patrick Breitenbach

Here we go...

No buttons, but: I posted our header images as a contribution available for download here:http://www.oscommerce.com/downloads.php/co...ions,799/type,5

You can easily overwrite your old cartoonish header images with these.

Note that these images are made on a white background... I (or someone else) could make them with a transparant background, if enough users are interested.

Place your comments here, pm me, whatever, I could use the feedback! 8)

'Time is a social construction to make the transitoriness manageable'

Thanks!

As they are photos - they can give a shop a totally different  (more serious) look.
That's exactly what I was aiming for!! :mrgreen:

First I would like to say thankyou elbavaro for your buttons they are great.

But pls could you post the .png file as that would add a bit of felx to the making of the buttons.

Vincent they are great to but transparant backgrounds would be good

Thank you to all of you

Why reinvent the wheel

How about fewer but more varied sets of buttons. These all seem slight variations on the originals.

Yes Patrick your are 100% right - the once I offer so far are very much oriented on the original shape. Some others (lines or rectangles etc.) are varieties of it.

There is a simple reason of it. - Preparation! -

I would like to prepare first all needed details (most buttons integrated and as many different languages as possible), before "producing more sets" and release the base-png file.

But - you pointing to a similar point I have already thought about - maybe I will do less different types of shading, but rather more different shapes.

So your comment was well taken. Thanks.

Better yet, if the buttons were DHTML (like the "Go" button on the lower right of this page), they could all be easily modified by editing one text file.

Sorry so far I have no idea about DHTML nor if I could generate the buttons the way I do generate them now. - Also don't know if this would mean changing the osc script (which neither do I want to, nor can :wink: ).

However thanks for your hints to other web-shop-buttons - I personally like the kmart buttons most. Please keep me posted if you come across other interesting once. This is the kind of feedback I need.

EL Bavaro

But pls could you post the .png file as that would add a bit of felx to the making of the buttons.

Sorry, forgot to respond directly to you David.

I will simply wait to release my png file until I get (close to) all buttons incorporated into the file. Just to give you an idea - over the past 24 hours I received 7 pm's containing over 10 different hints to buttons for various contributions.

And 9 different new translations.

Please, let me do it right in the first place and than you can work around with it!

So - sorry - you all have to wait until it is all well integrated and properly documented.

EL Bavaro

As they are photos - they can give a shop a totally different (more serious) look.

I think it's the opposite. Most big, serious sites use non-photographic images. In fact, photographic icons tend to look very amateurish. If you review professionally designed icons <http://design.iconfactory.com/> you'll see that they are much less photographic.

Patrick Breitenbach

Hi EL Bavaro,

Sorry didn't get to you right away.

Here is a list of translations English-Ukrainian-Russian:

Buy Now! - Купити! - Купить!

Back - Назад - Назад

Login - Увійти - Войти

Search - Пошук - Поиск

Continue - Продовжити - Продолжить

In Cart - Купити - В Корзину

Checkout - Розрахуватися - Оформить

Update - Переглянути - Обновить

Update Cart - Перерахувати - Пересчитать

Reviews - Рецензія - Отзывы

Edit Account - Редагування Рахунку - Изменить Данные

Edit Address - Змінити Адресу - Изменить Адрес

History - Історія Замовлень - История Заказов

Address Book - Адресна Книга - Адресная Книга

Notifications - Повідомлення - Уведомления

Confirm Order - Підтвердити Замовлення - Подтвердить Заказ

Write Review - Написати Рецензію - Написать Отзыв

Change Address - Змінити Адресу - Изменить Адрес

Shipping Options - Варіанти Пересилки - Варианты Пересылки

Continue Shopping - Повернутися в Магазин - Вернуться в Магазин

Remove Notifications - Вилучити Повідомлення - Удалить Уведомления

Add Address - Додати Адресу - Добавить Адрес

If I'm missing any let me know.

During thsi talk about buttons I have got rather confused and it would seem that I have deleted some buttons or icons that are not replaced in the new button sets.

My account

Whats new

Cart Contents

Checkout

are 4 that come to mind. Can you tell me if these are part of a nothers et or are they not the buttons you are all talking about? Thanks in advance

Those are images called from the /images directory like header_account.gif

Are these not the sets then?? Are there any replacements available as they are rather mickey mouse dont you think :) Oh and I have deleted them by accident anyway :)

Perhaps I am biased as I am having major problems getting paths to images right and I have many hundreds of products with images to upload and catalogue over the next few weeks and the sooner I can get started the better.

Must be time to push for new images as well as buttons.

So there are none :(

what about it folks any graphically gifted guys or gals here able to come up with the goods. some of us are graphically challenged unfortunately!

elbavaro as the buttons are your babby what do you think??

bye for now.

No buttons, but: I posted our header images as a contribution available for download here:http://www.oscommerce.com/downloads.php/co...ions,799/type,5

Note that these images are made on a white background... I (or someone else) could make them with a transparant background, if enough users are interested.

Like i said, these are available... They include your
My account

Whats new

Cart Contents

Checkout

:roll:

During thsi talk about buttons I have got rather confused and it would seem that I have deleted some buttons or icons that are not replaced in the new button sets.

My account

Whats new

Cart Contents

Checkout

are 4 that come to mind. Can you tell me if these are part of a nothers et or are they not the buttons you are all talking about?

The content of my button sets can be seen here on my website

http://www.win-vermieter.de/osc/button_texts1.htm or in the readme.txt enclosed to the button set.

The Checkout button is definetly in - it is a 2.2 button.

The other 3 (My account,Whats new,Cart Contents) would be very interesting to me.

I could easily include them into future button sets, but I need to know from which modul they are? (Could also be from an older OSC version).

Could you please check where they are needed in your shop, and drop me a not (exact name of the button and text)?

I will do my best.

To all:

I see my current task as "button-only". There was an interview with a famous american button maker in the beginning of the 19th century - just when zipper started to become more popular. He was asked why his company was not making any zippers. -

His answer: "we are button makers - and buttons we do best".

So allow me to stay with buttons (:wink:) - which means I do not intend to make any images (nor zippers :wink: ) in the near term.

Others should focus on the images and different CSS- and later on we put it all together to make templates - whenever Harald and the team will have implemented something (no rush!).

Thanks to all of you for permanent input on new buttons needed for moduls and help on translation.

EL Bavaro

Like i said, these are available... They include your
My account

Whats new

Cart Contents

Checkout

:roll:

I have downloaded this priopr to posting but it does not contain the 4 I mentioned such as

My account

Whats new

Cart Contents

Checkout

can you clarify if it should or is this another contribution :)