• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Meta tags

toyicebear

So once I have added this contribution to my site, what do I need to do to generate traffic to my site? Will this contribution help my site show up in search engines like yahoo, google etc (provided I put useful descriptions and keywords). Do I have to sign up for any advertising accounts? Please excuse my ignorance, just trying to learn. I have a site but there is no way for people to know about it except through word of mouth.

Also how do I check source code when a website it loaded into my browser?

It will help some, but is not enough by itself, you will need to read up on search engine placement info.

You can check the source code by choosing view source under the view tab in your browser.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed this contrib.

When I go to http://tools.summitmedia.co.uk/spider/ and submit my site,

http://www.coldnosegifts.com/ the only thing that show up in "keywords & META tags" is my business name.

I did the easy install and changed english.php and then the even the company name disappeared.

How do I edit the keywords & description in my main shop page?

Any ideas?

Wally

Edited by wallygreen

Using version 1.4 and following the install instructions...you can add the front page meta info in your shops language file....

Meta info for products, categories and manufactureres are generated automatically.

The install instructions is very easy to follow......

• 2 weeks later...

It worked for me...... it really was easy. I spend 3 days trying to use the other methods but they didn't work for me.

Now I want to go one step further,

How can I add some tags to go along with the, for example, "product_name"

I want to add a couple of keywords to show on the page title beside the product name

Thanks,

It worked for me...... it really was easy. I spend 3 days trying to use the other methods but they didn't work for me.

Now I want to go one step further,

How can I add some tags to go along with the, for example, "product_name"

I want to add a couple of keywords to show on the page title beside the product name

Thanks,

Its possible... i will not include it in the mod though ...

As you yourself have expirienced it is very easy to install compared to other meta mods and i do not want to complicate just that....

But if you want to give it a try, then it can be easily done by modifying this file: includes/easy_meta_tags.php

ATT: Make a backup before starting to mess around.....

Edited by toyicebear

Its possible... i will not include it in the mod though ...

As you yourself have expirienced it is very easy to install compared to other meta mods and i do not want to complicate just that....

But if you want to give it a try, then it can be easily done by modifying this file: includes/easy_meta_tags.php

ATT: Make a backup before starting to mess around.....

I have the same question as the above, but i am not sure if I am on the right path. OK when I checked my meta tags I only see the detail in the index.php. Are the rest of the detail supposed to show up on the other pages?

i want to add more in other pages other then, shirts, hats, etcs to the rest www.mycountrygear.com?

I have the same question as the above, but i am not sure if I am on the right path. OK when I checked my meta tags I only see the detail in the index.php. Are the rest of the detail supposed to show up on the other pages?

i want to add more in other pages other then, shirts, hats, etcs to the rest www.mycountrygear.com?

1. The meta info you add in the language files, ie. for english in includes/languages/english.php , will only show on the front page.

2. All categories, sub categories, manufactureres and product meta tags are generated automatically.

That is it...simple and easy...and correct seo wise..

But if you want to add some general keywords to all pages it can be done by some manual modifications as mentioned in the post above...

BUT be aware if you use extra general keywords added to all pages you might actually hurt your ranking since a keyword/meta tag should also always be on the visible page text on the page its for.

First, thanks for this GREAT mod! First working STS4 meta tags solution!

Installing was really easy and simple! Thanks!

But :) I would like to have category names to title as well the product name, so could somebody help me with that?

Already tried to modify easy_meta_tags.php, but no working solution yet.

Also, I'm going to do some modifications to admin site so you can add/update custom product tags without going to phpmyadmin(or whatever).

Or is there a solution for this?

First, thanks for this GREAT mod! First working STS4 meta tags solution!

Installing was really easy and simple! Thanks!

But :) I would like to have category names to title as well the product name, so could somebody help me with that?

Already tried to modify easy_meta_tags.php, but no working solution yet.

Also, I'm going to do some modifications to admin site so you can add/update custom product tags without going to phpmyadmin(or whatever).

Or is there a solution for this?

Actually someone made a "modded" version which alowes manually added tags.... They did not include a admin side module though...but it might be a place to start to get what you want.

Easy Meta Tags - CUSTOM Product Tags for STS v4

ATT: That mod and any further mods done on that basis will not be supported by me in this tread.....

This tread is only support for the original: Easy Meta Tags

Hi,

Could someone advise please??

I installed Easy Meta Tags 1.4.

I checked the source code on my index page and in product_info page and the meta tags appears very good.

The thing is that I read that it is not enough and I need to add Meta tags for the robots and some more important commands for the search engines..

Could someone advise me please what to do??

Is there a meta tag generator which I enter to it my index page and it create for me the Best Meta Tags according to my page??

Thanks for any advise from you..

Regards,

Nathali

Best Regards,

Nathali

Hi,

Could someone advise please??

I installed Easy Meta Tags 1.4.

I checked the source code on my index page and in product_info page and the meta tags appears very good.

The thing is that I read that it is not enough and I need to add Meta tags for the robots and some more important commands for the search engines..

Could someone advise me please what to do??

Is there a meta tag generator which I enter to it my index page and it create for me the Best Meta Tags according to my page??

Thanks for any advise from you..

Regards,

Nathali

Easy Meta Tags add all the necessary meta info, for your front page, category, sub-category and product pages.

Nice contribution, however I may have found a bug! >_<

For example, if I was selling USB Cables and this was my description:

24" USB Cable

The meta tag gets cut short because the quotes after the 24 close the content attribute's value and therefore the only keyword assigned to this meta tag is 24.

Example:

<meta name="keywords" content="24" USB Cable" />

-Dorian

Nice contribution, however I may have found a bug! >_<

For example, if I was selling USB Cables and this was my description:

24" USB Cable

The meta tag gets cut short because the quotes after the 24 close the content attribute's value and therefore the only keyword assigned to this meta tag is 24.

Example:

<meta name="keywords" content="24" USB Cable" />

Well you could modify this file: includes/easy_meta_tags.php to strip out " from descriptions and names

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed Easy Meta Tags for STS and it seems to be working properly on the Category/Subcategory/Product pages, but on my Index page it shows

<title>DEFAULT_META_TITLE</title>
<meta name="description" content="DEFAULT_META_DESCRIPTION" />
<meta name="keywords" content="DEFAULT_META_KEYWORDS" />

Is there somewhere I need to define what the Default Meta Title etc. are?

I've installed Easy Meta Tags for STS and it seems to be working properly on the Category/Subcategory/Product pages, but on my Index page it shows

<title>DEFAULT_META_TITLE</title>
<meta name="description" content="DEFAULT_META_DESCRIPTION" />
<meta name="keywords" content="DEFAULT_META_KEYWORDS" />

Is there somewhere I need to define what the Default Meta Title etc. are?

If you read the complete included readme file included in the package, you will find the answer to that one....It tells you where to add and edit those defines.

If you read the complete included readme file included in the package, you will find the answer to that one....It tells you where to add and edit those defines.

Actually... the readme file for the Easy install 1.2-1 does not mention where to edit the default tag definitions but the readme for 1-4 does. I found it, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually... the readme file for the Easy install 1.2-1 does not mention where to edit the default tag definitions but the readme for 1-4 does. I found it, thanks.

If you read through the reame and the version changes you will see that the v1.2 series does not have manual editable default meta tags at all..it creates all tags automatically.

Due to user request though the later versions v1.4 have that function.

The download contains both version v1.2 and the latest version, which one to use is up to you.

Read the instructions for the version you choose to use.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, is there any way to have this contribution make the page title Product Name : Category Name?

I am just not knowledgeable enough at code to work it out without killing the site a bunch.

Its possible by modifying includes/easy_meta_tags.php

Would it be OK to paste the code and see if anyone on the forums knows how to get it to display the item title and the category title using this mod?

Dont post it in this support tread.

If you want to post the code please make a new support tread and post it there.

• 2 weeks later...
I have done so but no one has answered, is there any chance at all that you can take a look? I am really keen to use this contribution, this is the only hold up.

This contribution is made to be an easy and a usable add-on suitable for as many shops as possible so if you want it modded for your particular needs then you should do it yourself or if you can't then hire someone to do it for you.

Edited by toyicebear