• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Meta tags

toyicebear

I came up with another page that shows "HEADING_TITLE" for the meta page title. It showed up when I did a test search in my 2.3.1 shop landing on the advanced_search_result.php page.

In this case it made more sense to add a define so I did that as follows:

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Search Results');

That's in /calalog/includes/languages/english/advanced_search.php

That cleaned things up. Thanks again for the tip.

After the above fix up above I encountered a couple more pages that required a define in my 2.3.1 shop, so I decided to bite the bullet and go with another header tag mod rather than this one. Easy Meta still works great on my 2.2 shop though.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Version added: Easy Meta Tags 1.8

This version will also add title for pages that do not have heading title.

I'm a bit confused. Just did a clean install of 2.3.1, tested it, looked at a product, applied this add-on, and updated my view. Only difference i could tell is that instead of "product name, site name", now i have only "product name". Now, why would i want to use this add-on that, as i recall, was great in prior releases that had no tags, but in 2.3.1. does not apply much change.

Timo

Timo Jensen

I'm a bit confused. Just did a clean install of 2.3.1, tested it, looked at a product, applied this add-on, and updated my view. Only difference i could tell is that instead of "product name, site name", now i have only "product name". Now, why would i want to use this add-on that, as i recall, was great in prior releases that had no tags, but in 2.3.1. does not apply much change.

Timo

The default osc 2.31 only add titles for certain pages at your site.

Easy Meta Tags does not only add titles, but it also add in meta description and meta keywords.

You also have the option of adding your own title, meta description and meta keywords for the front page.

It will also add title, meta description and keywords for all the other shop pages. (like for instance privacy.php and so on)

• 1 month later...

It can be used for both 2.2 and 2.31 , install instructions is included in the package.

This mod is an automatic meta tags generator, ie. it make sthe product title, meta description and meta keywords dynamically based on the product title and product description there is no manual entry of tags in admin.

It can be used for both 2.2 and 2.31 , install instructions is included in the package.

This mod is an automatic meta tags generator, ie. it make sthe product title, meta description and meta keywords dynamically based on the product title and product description there is no manual entry of tags in admin.

Thank you buddy!

• 3 weeks later...

First, I would like to say this has been an awesome and easy contribution and thank you! I've had this installed on a 2.3 version, but starting to see a lot of duplicate descriptions in Google. This is primarily due to very little reviews on my products because the site isn't that old. The tags auto-generate the product_info description on both product_info.php and product review, thus I have over 67 items with a duplicate descriptions- not good for SEO....

My question is does anyone know how the rewrite the code to include the reviews_text instead of the $meta_description? This way whether or not there is an existing review, the page will NOT be listed the same as the product_info.php description.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

First, I would like to say this has been an awesome and easy contribution and thank you! I've had this installed on a 2.3 version, but starting to see a lot of duplicate descriptions in Google. This is primarily due to very little reviews on my products because the site isn't that old. The tags auto-generate the product_info description on both product_info.php and product review, thus I have over 67 items with a duplicate descriptions- not good for SEO....

My question is does anyone know how the rewrite the code to include the reviews_text instead of the $meta_description? This way whether or not there is an existing review, the page will NOT be listed the same as the product_info.php description.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

All info and processing is in just 1 file, so you can edit it to your "taste"

Hi Friends,

I need your help.

I need remove &nsbp; from description.

I use

$meta_description = preg_replace('/<[^>]*>/', '', $product_meta['products_description']);
$meta_description = preg_replace('/ /', ' ',$meta_description);
$meta_description = preg_replace('/\s\s+/', ' ',$meta_description);

But, this code don't work.

<p> </p>
<div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">

<p>
	<strong>Sábana Natural, 100% algodón, 144 hilos,  2½ plazas</strong></p>
<p>
	Medidas: superior: 230 x 250 cm; </p>
<p>

ajustable: 140 x 190 x 26 cm;</p>
<p>
	                  2 fundas de 48 x 75 cm c/u</p>

Return:

Sábana Natural, 100% algodón, 144 hilos,  2½ plazas Medidas: superior: 230 x 250 cm;                    ajustable: 1...

Thank you in advance

Sergio B.

• 2 months later...

Hi, thanks for a great addon.

I have a small problem I have noticed which is an error gets logged when some pages are opened.

When i go from /shop/index.php to a category page /shop/choose-alphabetical-c-1.html

I get 3 errors shown in the log.

I do have a few mods on the site and wonder if something is conflicting.

Error is for lines 25, 26 and 27 in the format as below

Error Type: [E_NOTICE] Undefined variable: page

On line 26

File includes/easy_meta_tags.php

I have not changed the file easy_meta_tags.php and they are as below.

Line 25 $meta_title_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;

Line 26 $meta_description_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page . ' : ' . STORE_NAME;

Line 27 $meta_keywords_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;

The module showing errors is KissER Error Handling & Debugging

Could anyone please point me in the right direction to remove these errors.

Many thanks.

Kezza

Currently running version 2.3.3

Addons installed in order

1 UK Quick Localisation, 2 Stock for Shop, 3 UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods 21st Aug Prices, 4 myHermes Shipping Rates

5 Quickly Update Product Stock, 6 Ultimate SEO URLs – INSTALLED, 7 Google XML Sitemap w/ Admin, 8 SysCheck, 9 Secure your site with an IP trap, 10 Sam's Anti-hacker Account Mods, 11 Spiders txt, 12 Google Analytics, 13 Monthly Sales/Tax Report for 2.3.1

Addons installed

Add New Page – About Us, Admin Notes 2.5, Admin SpiffyCal v3.34, Discount Coupon Codes 3.34 for osc 2.31, Google Base / Froogle Data Feeder v1.00, Google Breadcrumb, Google Feed Account Setup, Install the Discount Coupon order total module, Keyword Search Report v.1.7 for 2.3, KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags, Multiple dropdown configuration, Product Attributes Tabs, Product Cycle Slideshow Box, Recover Cart Sales V2.23d, SiteMonitor, Tag Cloud, Theme Switcher, Total Configuration, Tracking Module 2.3 - Royal Mail, Tracking Module for 2.3, Updated spiders.txt

Its not an error but a notice and its due to that newer PHP versions require all variables to be declared before being called.

To remove this notice you can simply declare the mentioned variables in the file.

Edited by toyicebear

New versions of Easy Meta Tags with the "fix" included upload in the add-ons section.

Hi, thank you very much for the update.

Much appreciated.

All working now with the new PHP version with no notices shown.

Thanks.

Kezza

Currently running version 2.3.3

Addons installed in order

1 UK Quick Localisation, 2 Stock for Shop, 3 UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods 21st Aug Prices, 4 myHermes Shipping Rates

5 Quickly Update Product Stock, 6 Ultimate SEO URLs – INSTALLED, 7 Google XML Sitemap w/ Admin, 8 SysCheck, 9 Secure your site with an IP trap, 10 Sam's Anti-hacker Account Mods, 11 Spiders txt, 12 Google Analytics, 13 Monthly Sales/Tax Report for 2.3.1

Addons installed

Add New Page – About Us, Admin Notes 2.5, Admin SpiffyCal v3.34, Discount Coupon Codes 3.34 for osc 2.31, Google Base / Froogle Data Feeder v1.00, Google Breadcrumb, Google Feed Account Setup, Install the Discount Coupon order total module, Keyword Search Report v.1.7 for 2.3, KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags, Multiple dropdown configuration, Product Attributes Tabs, Product Cycle Slideshow Box, Recover Cart Sales V2.23d, SiteMonitor, Tag Cloud, Theme Switcher, Total Configuration, Tracking Module 2.3 - Royal Mail, Tracking Module for 2.3, Updated spiders.txt

hi there, I have put all the code in with ease, but now in my page title I get <title>"name of my page"

where do I delete this in the code so that its just my page title

Go over the install again and make sure you have done all the steps correctly.

hiya, thanks for the reply, I have redone the steps and it still shows the page as shown, here is the page source of the site, it clearly shows and extra <title> in there but I just can't find the line where to delete it, if you can point me in the right direction I will find it and edit it

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title><title>mosquito design clothing</title>

Edited by whitestar7

The most likely thing you have done wrong is that you have not removed all the code you were supposed to during the install. ie. you have a leftover <title>

The only thing you should have in the code is:

<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'easy_meta_tags.php'); ?>

It creates the tags and if you have some "leftover" tags in your file(s) then it will not show up correctly.

Depending on your oscommerce version.... If you have 2.31 then start looking in:

includes/template_top.php

Then you might also look in

includes/languages/english.php (or any other language you use)

If you use oscommerce 2.2

Start by looking in index.php

Then you might also look in

includes/languages/english.php (or any other language you use)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I just installed the version 1.9 on osc 2.2 rc 2.

i think its not working for me because i still got my old titels and not the ones i defined in easy meta tags.

i followed all the steps in the read me file but i cant see if its working right.

can anybody help me please?

my site:

http://www.silla-mesa-sofa.es

thx

Edited by Jan Zonjee

seems to be working this is your meta info from the front page:

<title>Sillas Mesas Sofas Taburetes Tableros interior exterior Hosteleria</title>

<meta name="description" content="mayorista y venta privada de sillas mesas sofas taburetes tableros para interior y exterior de alta calidad y muy economico. Compra su silla, mesa, sofa ,taburete tablero para hosteleria barato" />

<meta name="keywords" content="silla, mesa, sofa, taburete, tablero, sillas, mesas, sofas, taburetes ,tableros, mayorista, compra, venta, privada, interior, exterior, terraza, hosteleria, economico, barato, apilable, plegable, muebles, polipropìleno, italia, calia, madera, mobilaria, reuniones , iglesias, fiesta, fiestas, para ,y ,de ,muy ,su, alta, calidad, privado" />

Edited by toyicebear

• 2 months later...