The e-commerce.

Easy Meta tags

toyicebear

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do i uninstall the Easy Meta tags?? They haven't made any evident differences to my website and everything is how it was before on the google search results...except not my website's fallen in the google rankings!!! Maybe i'm missing something...

You have probably missed something...

To uninstall just follow the install instructions in reverse order.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

This is in reference to: comtessesilhouette.com/store

I have installed the Easy Meta tags add on and it seems to be working o.k. When publishing product pages to social bookmarking sites such as Kaboodle, This Next... the product image shows up with no problem, however, when posting on Facebook, image can not load up.

Could someone recommend what to do?

Thank you,

KT

Edited by Jan Zonjee

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to have made an error when adding the Easy Meta tags

probably you did not remove this one completely:

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

before adding in the Easy Meta Tags code

This can be seen since you have <title> showing in your titles.

• 1 month later...

I have installed this contrib and it was easy and works good. However, When I look at my keyword content for any particular item, it additionally puts in "your, additional, keywords, here" after the content keywords. Here is the source description line.

<meta name="keywords" content="CL1002CERTANCE LTO2 200/400GB LVDCERTANCE, your, additional, keywords, here">

Where can I remove the "your, additional, keywords, here"?? I have looked in several files but fail to see any text. I may have missed it but looked hard. I am not using STS or any other type or SEO.

Any productive help would be appreciated.... Thanks

I have installed this contrib and it was easy and works good. However, When I look at my keyword content for any particular item, it additionally puts in "your, additional, keywords, here" after the content keywords. Here is the source description line.

<meta name="keywords" content="CL1002CERTANCE LTO2 200/400GB LVDCERTANCE, your, additional, keywords, here">

Where can I remove the "your, additional, keywords, here"?? I have looked in several files but fail to see any text. I may have missed it but looked hard. I am not using STS or any other type or SEO.

Any productive help would be appreciated.... Thanks

If you look in the included readme file , you will see that during install you added in some defines into the sites language files ... that is where you find and can do the only adjustments for this mod.

• 2 months later...

When I visit this page http://sigil.nl/fancybox/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=1449c97499dee537854a20602dc800eb I only generate the following meta-tags:

<title>Woonaccessoires</title>

<meta name="description" content="Woonaccessoires : Bij Kaatje Aan De Dijk" />

<meta name="keywords" content="Woonaccessoires" />

How come so little text is being generated per page?

Easy meta tags only uses the available info to make relevant tags, ie. for a category page then you will get that style of tags since its basically only using the category name...if you also add it for the product pages, then you will see more text in the tags for the products though since it uses the product description in addition to the product name.

• 5 months later...

First of all I really want to thank you for such a great contribution. I installed, and everything worked perfectly. Just fantastic. I do have one question. Do you know of a way to modify the code so that it appends the Manufacturer name to the beginning of the meta title for each individual Product? That would be a better search-friendly title for the products on my site.

First of all I really want to thank you for such a great contribution. I installed, and everything worked perfectly. Just fantastic. I do have one question. Do you know of a way to modify the code so that it appends the Manufacturer name to the beginning of the meta title for each individual Product? That would be a better search-friendly title for the products on my site.

You could make it do that by modifying includes/easy_meta_tags.php

You could make it do that by modifying includes/easy_meta_tags.php

Thank you. I am a PHP rookie, but I studied the easy_meta_tags.php file, figured out where to edit the Meta title for the product, and learned the correct syntax to concatenate a variable and/or string onto it. However, no matter what query I use to try and get the manufacturer's name, I can't retrieve it. It appears that the manufacturer_id is not set once you get to the product page, so therefore I can't perform a successful query against the manufacturer table. Do you have any ideas? I don't know how session context (at least that was the old CICS term) works for variables within web pages, so I don't know if there is a way to save the manufacturer ID or not... In other words, I am lost. Thanks again for your support.

My site is www.skinpreserve.com if that helps...

you can add a query to the get manufacturer id from the products table.

you can add a query to the get manufacturer id from the products table.

Thanks again. I feel silly that I didn't check the Products table for that column myself. I have a picture of the DB schema now, which will make things easier to locate.

Here is what I added in case anybody wants it. This is to insert manufacturer's name before the product name in the Meta Title on every product info page. Modify the includes/easy_meta_tags.php file. Replace these lines:

// product info metas

} elseif (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO) {

$product_meta_query = tep_db_query("select products_name, products_description from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$product_meta = tep_db_fetch_array($product_meta_query);

$meta_title_tag = $product_meta['products_name'];

With these:

// product info metas

} elseif (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO) {

$product_meta_query = tep_db_query("select products_name, products_description from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$product_meta = tep_db_fetch_array($product_meta_query);

$manufacturers_id_query = tep_db_query("select p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

$manufacturers_id = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_id_query);

$manufacturers_name_query = tep_db_query("select m.manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m where m.manufacturers_id = '" . $manufacturers_id['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

$manufacturers_name = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_name_query);

$meta_title_tag = $manufacturers_name['manufacturers_name'] . ' ' . $product_meta['products_name'];

Version 1.7a is now available, The instructions have been amended to include install instructions for use with osCommerce 2.3

The Easy Meta Tags add-on can be found here...

• 1 month later...

I have a 2.3.1 shop in progress...with easy meta tags 1.7A installed.

Over in Google Webmaster tools I noticed duplicate title tags on the product reviews pages.

For those pages, View source shows:

<title>HEADING_TITLE</title>
<meta name="description" content="HEADING_TITLE : My Shop Name" />
<meta name="keywords" content="HEADING_TITLE" />

So, "HEADING_TITLE" is showing as the page name for all product reviews.

It just seems to be on the product reviews pages this is occurring from what I see.

Any ideas to fix that?

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I have a 2.3.1 shop in progress...with easy meta tags 1.7A installed.

Over in Google Webmaster tools I noticed duplicate title tags on the product reviews pages.

For those pages, View source shows:

<title>HEADING_TITLE</title>
<meta name="description" content="HEADING_TITLE : My Shop Name" />
<meta name="keywords" content="HEADING_TITLE" />

So, "HEADING_TITLE" is showing as the page name for all product reviews.

It just seems to be on the product reviews pages this is occurring from what I see.

Any ideas to fix that?

Thanks

one of these 2....

1. in the language file for the product reviews pages you add in a define for HEADING_TITLE . (Will then only give 1 title but looks way better)

or

2. modify includes/easy_meta_tags.php to also generate title and tags for product reviews pages.

one of these 2....

1. in the language file for the product reviews pages you add in a define for HEADING_TITLE . (Will then only give 1 title but looks way better)

or

2. modify includes/easy_meta_tags.php to also generate title and tags for product reviews pages.

I am going to give number 2 a shot. This will be an opportunity to tackle some coding on my own. On the face of it, it appears not to be too huge a task, and so far I have it partially figured out. From what I see from my results so far, I need to work on the query and get that integrated correctly. If I can't I will be back for pointers, if I do, I will be back to get someone to look it over and make sure I haven't balled it up too much.

Thanks....

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I am going to give number 2 a shot.

Here's what I came up with, with the disclaimer that this is the first time I tackled anything like this; so someone who really knows what they are doing should look this over and critique/fix up as needed.

For 2.3.1 to get product reviews meta tags to generate something useable for meta tags in includes/easy_meta_tags.php right after

$meta_keywords_tag = NAVBAR_TITLE . ' ' . $reviews_meta['products_name'];

I added:

}
// product reviews info metas part 2
elseif  (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS) {
$product_reviews_meta_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, p.products_model, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_description from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
$product_reviews_meta = tep_db_fetch_array($product_reviews_meta_query);
$meta_title_tag = NAVBAR_TITLE . ' :: ' . $product_reviews_meta['products_name']; 
$meta_description = preg_replace('/<[^>]*>/', '', $product_reviews_meta['products_description']);
$meta_description = preg_replace('/\s\s+/', ' ',$meta_description);
if (strlen($meta_description) > 200){
$meta_description_tag = substr($meta_description, 0, 200) . '...';
}else {
$meta_description_tag = $meta_description;
}
$meta_keywords_tag = NAVBAR_TITLE . ' ' . $product_reviews_meta['products_name'];

So now my meta tag looks something like this when viewing the source:

<title>Reviews :: Actual Product Name</title>
<meta name="description" content=" Product description up to 200 characters." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Reviews Actual Product Name" />

Obviously Actual Product Name is the full text of the product name and the description comes from pd.products_description.

There's some other stuff there in the $product_reviews_meta_query that probably doesn't need to be there but I copied that query from product_reviews.php to give me something to work from.

This works for me on my "in progress" 2.3.1 site that was not generating the correct meta tags for product_reviews.php for various products I have listed. I only tackled this because it's time for me to better understand coding and this was a way to do that.

Again...disclaimer. Someone who knows this stuff better should chime in here if this isn't correct.

Changed things a bit from above.....and again, for a 2.3.1 shop

I tweaked this a bit so the meta tags now shows:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Reviews for Actual Product Name</title>
<meta name="description" content="Product description up to 200 characters" />
<meta name="keywords" content="Reviews for Actual Product Name, Product Model" />

which removed the double colons, ::, replaced with the word "for" and added the products model number to the key words.

So in includes/easy_meta_tags.php after

$meta_keywords_tag = NAVBAR_TITLE . ' ' . $reviews_meta['products_name'];

I now have

}
// product reviews metas 2
elseif  (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS) {
$product_reviews_meta_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, p.products_model, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_description from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
$product_reviews_meta = tep_db_fetch_array($product_reviews_meta_query);
$meta_title_tag = NAVBAR_TITLE . ' for ' . $product_reviews_meta['products_name']; 
$meta_description = preg_replace('/<[^>]*>/', '', $product_reviews_meta['products_description']);
$meta_description = preg_replace('/\s\s+/', ' ',$meta_description);
if (strlen($meta_description) > 200){
$meta_description_tag = substr($meta_description, 0, 200) . '...';
}else {
$meta_description_tag = $meta_description;
}
$meta_keywords_tag = NAVBAR_TITLE . ' for ' . $product_reviews_meta['products_name'] . ', ' . $product_reviews_meta['products_model'];

There may be a better way to do this but other than fixing that issue up a little, this helped me grasp a little better what's going on with the coding.

Edited by altoid

Hello to you all. Hope everyone is doing well.

I don't really want to spam this detailed forum, but I do need help getting meta tags set up on my new oscommerce site. And would ask politely if any one is free to help me set them up as Iv tried and I don't know what's wrong and have just had enough of trying after 3 solid days.

So if anyone is free I would be very grateful if I can get the friendly support via email, [email protected]

Sorry if this was wrong to do, but thank you for the support. Hopefully I can get the meta tags fixed, 4th day lucky lol.

Kind regards to you all.

one of these 2....

I came up with another page that shows "HEADING_TITLE" for the meta page title. It showed up when I did a test search in my 2.3.1 shop landing on the advanced_search_result.php page.

In this case it made more sense to add a define so I did that as follows:

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Search Results');

That's in /calalog/includes/languages/english/advanced_search.php

That cleaned things up. Thanks again for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Please accept my thanks for the idea of a great contribution. However, I noticed a lot of imperfections.

1. You should add support for multiple pages when displaying products by manufacturer (not just by the category). Example:
          if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['page']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['page'] != '1')) {
           $page = ' - ' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['page'];
           $meta_title_tag = $manufacturer_name['manufacturers_name'] . $page;
           $meta_description_tag = $manufacturer_name['manufacturers_name'] . $page;
         } else {
           $meta_title_tag = $manufacturer_name['manufacturers_name'];
           $meta_description_tag = $manufacturer_name['manufacturers_name'];
         }

2. You should further filter the keywords to be more correct. This requires ignores all other characters than the characters of the alphabet and numbers, and as space permits only a comma (can be with space). In addition, the keywords should be lowercase, even if the names are. My propose for this:
        $meta_keywords_tag = $product_meta['products_name'];
       $meta_keywords_tag = ereg_replace('( / | |-)', ', ', $meta_keywords_tag);
       $meta_keywords_tag = strtolower($meta_keywords_tag);

In the above example, the product named "DVD Recorder DMR-EZ485VK / digital tuner / VCR / HDMI" will be displayed correctly in meta keywords, as: "dvd, recorder, dmr, ez485vk, digital, tuner, vcr, hdmi" and NOT as: "DVD Recorder DMR-EZ485VK / digital tuner / VCR / HDMI".

Finally, please explain to me, to which links have specified below condition?

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

Kind regards to you all.

Edited by osCommaniak

• 1 month later...
Finally, please explain to me, to which links have specified below condition?

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

That was added quite awhile ago for compatibility with contribution (2796) Search Engine Friendly URL.