• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Meta tags

toyicebear

Hello, I am using osCommerce v2.2 RC2a with Ultimate SEO URLs Version 2.1d ORIGINAL updated - by Jack_mcs - 23 Nov 2008. I am looking for a simple and compatible meta tag contribution. Will this work for me? If so which version should I use.

Thanks

Larry

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I am using osCommerce v2.2 RC2a with Ultimate SEO URLs Version 2.1d ORIGINAL updated - by Jack_mcs - 23 Nov 2008. I am looking for a simple and compatible meta tag contribution. Will this work for me? If so which version should I use.

Thanks

Larry

All are compatble with your set-up so just use the latest version....

How the tags are marked in the different templates/STS versions might differ some.

In regards to Easy Meta Tags in an STS shop it then uses the $headcontent tag to provide the meta info.

For any more info on STS please head over to the STS support tread.

Thanks for your help so far. I've added the headcontent tag and it's pulling the right info for some pages. My products pages, example: http://inveniotechnology.com/product_info....products_id=560 are pulling the meta tag information, however for other pages such as: http://inveniotechnology.com/networkdesign.php it is not pulling any information.

Can anyone lend some assistance.

Thanks,

Dale

$meta_title_tag = $product_meta['products_name'] . ' - ' . $product_meta['products_model'];

i've updated to the latest version easy meta tags, and unfortunately written over my old file. i've put in the tag above, however it does not pull the products_model.

how can i modify the file so the model will also show up in the title?

thanks for your continued help!

dale

Thanks for your help so far. I've added the headcontent tag and it's pulling the right info for some pages. My products pages, example: http://inveniotechnology.com/product_info....products_id=560 are pulling the meta tag information, however for other pages such as: http://inveniotechnology.com/networkdesign.php it is not pulling any information.

Can anyone lend some assistance.

Thanks,

Dale

I've figured out my problem. I didn't have the pages in the filenames.php file. Please disregard this email.

• 2 weeks later...
i've updated to the latest version easy meta tags, and unfortunately written over my old file. i've put in the tag above, however it does not pull the products_model.

how can i modify the file so the model will also show up in the title?

thanks for your continued help!

dale

can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...
can anyone help?

You have to edit the products part of the easy_meta_tags.php file and make sure model number is included in the db query and then that its added to the meta string.

• 1 month later...
I use the Contrib, is very nice.

But i have a question... If i use in Category Title html code than is ok in site but not in browser.

Can i fix this or i cant use html in category title?

Look what i meen - Website

Thank you.

You should not use html code in any titles.

I have looked and didn't see this, so i thought I would ask. This works great but have one question. How can I change it to display the name of the Store after or before the tag. Not sure if I'm wording that right.

Example... If I click in product it says at the top. "ice cream maker - Mozilla Firefox" without quotes

is there a way to make it say something like ( ice cream maker - my name - Mozilla Firefox) or (my name - ice cream maker - Mozilla Firefox)

Thanks

Custom PC's, Components, Liquid Cooling, Notebooks and More

Not sure if this has been asked, but does this work with php4?

Thanks.

Yes it should

I have looked and didn't see this, so i thought I would ask. This works great but have one question. How can I change it to display the name of the Store after or before the tag. Not sure if I'm wording that right.

Example... If I click in product it says at the top. "ice cream maker - Mozilla Firefox" without quotes

is there a way to make it say something like ( ice cream maker - my name - Mozilla Firefox) or (my name - ice cream maker - Mozilla Firefox)

Thanks

There is only one file in this add-on , and yes you can make such changes by modifying this file.

There is only one file in this add-on , and yes you can make such changes by modifying this file.

New at this, so maybe someone show me where in that file please

Thanks

Custom PC's, Components, Liquid Cooling, Notebooks and More

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
UPDATED:

Easy Meta Tags 1.6 - Now with page numbers for split category pages to prevent search engine duplicate content penalties.

When I watch a category in which there is only one page of the products, then I have in title: my_name_of_categoryArray.

Therefore, I changed your fragment with:

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['page']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['page'] != '1')) {
	$page = ' - ' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['page'];

$meta_title_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;
	$meta_description_tag = STORE_NAME . ' : ' . $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;
	$meta_keywords_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;
  } else {
	$meta_title_tag = $category_name['categories_name'];
	$meta_description_tag = STORE_NAME . ' : ' . $category_name['categories_name'];
	$meta_keywords_tag = $category_name['categories_name'];
  }

In addition, w3c validation requires subtraction / (together with space before / sign) from meta.

Here revised part of code:

echo '<meta name="description" content="' . $meta_description_tag . '">' . "\n";
 echo '<meta name="keywords" content="' . $meta_keywords_tag . '">' . "\n";

When I watch a category in which there is only one page of the products, then I have in title: my_name_of_categoryArray.

Therefore, I changed your fragment with:

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['page']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['page'] != '1')) {
	$page = ' - ' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['page'];

$meta_title_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;
	$meta_description_tag = STORE_NAME . ' : ' . $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;
	$meta_keywords_tag = $category_name['categories_name'] . $page;
  } else {
	$meta_title_tag = $category_name['categories_name'];
	$meta_description_tag = STORE_NAME . ' : ' . $category_name['categories_name'];
	$meta_keywords_tag = $category_name['categories_name'];
  }

In addition, w3c validation requires subtraction / (together with space before / sign) from meta.

Here revised part of code:

echo '<meta name="description" content="' . $meta_description_tag . '">' . "\n";
 echo '<meta name="keywords" content="' . $meta_keywords_tag . '">' . "\n";

Point 1 is something "unique" for your set-up and should not affect others.

The W3C validation is based on which doc type your site have.

html 4.01 needs no slash at the end of the meta tag bracket

while

xhtml 1.0 does need a slash at the end of the meta tag bracket

Edited by toyicebear

Version 1.2-4 and 1.7 is now available, they have been slightly updated to be compatible with PHP5.3

The Easy Meta Tags add-on can be found here...

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I downloaded the Easy Meta tags 1.7 and installed "very easy v1-2-4" and followed the instructions... I replaced

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

with

<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'easy_meta_tags.php'); ?>

in index.php, product_info.php and product_reviews_info.php

I then added (in index.php) :

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title>WEBSITE NAME|BRAND NAME|BRAND NAME|BRAND NAME|</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en">

<meta name="description" content="DESCRIPTION OF MY WEBSITE AND THE STUFF I SELL">

<meta name="keywords" content="KEYWORDS RELATED TO THE STUFF I SELL">

</head>

i found that the "title" of my website changed to the desired "WEBSITE NAME|BRAND NAME|BRAND NAME|BRAND NAME - mozilla", whereas before it was simply just "website name -mozilla firefox"

The problem that i have is that i can't see the description or the keyword content that i added ... is the above way correct or not? what do i need to enter for my decription + keywords to show up on my website?

I'm quite a stuck newbie, so any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks.

Hi there, I downloaded the Easy Meta tags 1.7 and installed "very easy v1-2-4" and followed the instructions... I replaced

with

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<meta name="description" content="DESCRIPTION OF MY WEBSITE AND THE STUFF I SELL">

</head>

i found that the "title" of my website changed to the desired "WEBSITE NAME|BRAND NAME|BRAND NAME|BRAND NAME - mozilla", whereas before it was simply just "website name -mozilla firefox"

The problem that i have is that i can't see the description or the keyword content that i added ... is the above way correct or not? what do i need to enter for my decription + keywords to show up on my website?

many thanks.

does anyone know?

with

<head>
</head>

many thanks.

1. if you use the 1.2 series you ONLY do this:

replace

with

2. if you use the 1.6 + series you do this:

replace

with

AND

you add the defines as described in the install file to your language files.

You DO NOT add anything else especially not meta/title info as you have described doing:

<head>
</head>

1. if you use the 1.2 series you ONLY do this:

replace

with

2. if you use the 1.6 + series you do this:

replace

with

AND

you add the defines as described in the install file to your language files.

You DO NOT add anything else especially not meta/title info as you have described doing

ok thanks. But how will the details of my website show up in google search results? I don't have detailed text written anywhere for google to pick up...

"AND

you add the defines as described in the install file to your language files."

I accessed the Language folder... what do you mean when you say "add the defines as described"? Where is that? is that the english.php or the index.php in the english languages folder???? please let me know!! please!!

thanks!!

Edited by Lobster101

"AND

you add the defines as described in the install file to your language files."

I accessed the Language folder... what do you mean when you say "add the defines as described"? Where is that? is that the english.php or the index.php in the english languages folder???? please let me know!! please!!

thanks!!

includes/languages/english.php

if your shop uses another language than english , then add it to that language file too

How do i uninstall the Easy Meta tags?? They haven't made any evident differences to my website and everything is how it was before on the google search results...except not my website's fallen in the google rankings!!! Maybe i'm missing something...