• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Meta tags

toyicebear

This is an easy to use automatic meta tags generator for osCommerce MS2.2 .

It has been tested and works on RC1 and MYSQL 5 and PHP5.

It should be as easy to install in a default shop install as in a modified or a template shop.

The install consist of 1 file to upload, and just change/replace of 1 line in each of the files where you would like to have meta tags in your shop.

Link to add-on: Easy Meta Tags

Edited by toyicebear

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an easy to use automatic meta tags generator for osCommerce MS2.2 .

It has been tested and works on RC1 and MYSQL 5 and PHP5.

It should be as easy to install in a default shop install as in a modified or a template shop.

The install consist of 1 file to upload, and just change/replace of 1 line in each of the files where you would like to have meta tags in your shop.

Link to add-on: Easy Meta Tags

would you suggest this or cdynamic meta tags. which is a better module to install ?

would you suggest this or cdynamic meta tags. which is a better module to install ?

toyice,

i am not having the best of luck with these meta tags. something seems to be overriding what i am doing because there don't seem to be any errors but i don't see any changes happening either. so i am gonna post what i am seeing after i installed the easy meta tags which is basically nothing and my standard metas which are not changing.

<!-- Page layout by Simple Template System (STS) v2.01 on osCommerce 2.2-MS2 - [url="http://www.diamondsea.com/sts/"]http://www.diamondsea.com/sts/[/url] -->
<!-- Using Template File [includes/sts_template.html) -->
<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Under The Sun Handmade Paper and Products</title><base href="http://www.underthesunstore.com/catalog/">

<!-- start get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->

<!-- end get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

<style type="text/css">

could i be not making the changes in the correct files for index.php or product_info.php ? the files i changed were the index.php and product_info.php in the catalog folder. do i need to change them anywhere else or make any other changes to get this into effect ?

do i need to change some permissions somewhere ?

need to do anything under admin like cache settings ?

wonder whats up ? please if anyone has any advice do let me know. the same thing happened for the cdynamic meta tags when i tried to installed that.

I did see in the cdynamic tread that you do have STS installed, which changes any meta install.

Then you can easily use this one together with STS: Meta Tags Controller Support

New version of: Easy Meta Tags available

No changes to main functions, the only change in this version is that install instructions for shops using STS v4.... has been included.

New version available: Easy Meta Tags

Version history:

1.0 - Basis version compatible with easy install standard osCommerce MS2.2, modified osCommerce MS2.2 and most of the purchased template based osCommerce web shops.

1.1. - Still compatible with all mentioned in v1.0 , but now install instructions have been added for shops using the STS Template system v4.

1.2 - Still compatible with all in V1.0 and V1.1 , but now its also compatible with shops using the contribution (2796) Search Engine Friendly URL.

Edited by toyicebear

And before someone asks..Yes, its also compatible with shops using other sef/seo url contribs like Ultimate SEO Urls, SEO-G and others....

Edited by toyicebear

And before someone asks..Yes, its also compatible with shops using other sef/seo url contribs like Ultimate SEO Urls, SEO-G and others....

toyice,

i am using the STS v2.01 because that was what was originally installed on my site so havent changed it. it does not have sts installed as the module or even the sts.php file in classes.

this is my version

<!-- Page layout by Simple Template System (STS) v2.01 on osCommerce 2.2-MS2 - http://www.diamondsea.com/sts/ -->

all my sts files which are the following are under catalog/includes

sts_display_output.php

sts_product_info.php

sts_restart_capture.php

sts_start_capture.php

sts_stop_capture.php

sts_template.html

sts_user_code.php.

easy way to edit these to get this to work ?

do let me know.

thanks

amit

toyice,

i am using the STS v2.01 because that was what was originally installed on my site so havent changed it. it does not have sts installed as the module or even the sts.php file in classes.

this is my version

<!-- Page layout by Simple Template System (STS) v2.01 on osCommerce 2.2-MS2 - http://www.diamondsea.com/sts/ -->

sts_display_output.php

sts_product_info.php

sts_restart_capture.php

sts_start_capture.php

sts_stop_capture.php

sts_template.html

sts_user_code.php.

do let me know.

thanks

amit

toyice,

this is my version

sts_display_output.php

sts_product_info.php

sts_restart_capture.php

sts_start_capture.php

sts_stop_capture.php

sts_template.html

sts_user_code.php.

do let me know.

thanks

amit

sorry..you are on your own on this one..frankly i do not have the free time to add compabilety for old and outdated versions of osCommerce or out of date add on template solutions.

hi your instructions says

2. In index.php and product_info.php replace this code:

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

with

<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'easy_meta_tags.php'); ?>

i looked in both files and found no <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

code

i have Ultimate SEO v2.2.e and HTML Extension installed

thanks

Edited by pure11

hi your instructions says

2. In index.php and product_info.php replace this code:

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

with

<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'easy_meta_tags.php'); ?>

i looked in both files and found no <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

code

i have Ultimate SEO v2.2.e and friendly url installed

Post the code from 1 of the files. ATT only the code at the top of the page from between these 2 tags <head> and </head>

Edited by toyicebear

Post the code from 1 of the files. ATT only the code at the top of the page from between these 2 tags <head> and </head>

here is the index.php

<?php
/*
 $Id: $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', '<a href="http://www.pureg.net">PureG.net</a> Online Shop is Brought to you by: <a href="http://www.puregraffiti.com">PureGraffiti.com</a> - Your Online Graffiti Art Community Since 1997. <br> A little bit of History goes a long way... <br><Br>It has been a long journey, and we finaly have gotten here. After 10 years of dedication to our Pure Graffiti Online site, we are now proud to bring you a place online where all Artists can shop at and at the same time, be able to serve you with what you are looking for at a very competitive price. We have put our hearts and souls into Pure Graffiti, and now we will do the same for PureG.net. We thank all the great artists that have supported us through out the years and we hope you will shop with us and support all our years of hard work and consistent dedication to the Graffiti Art Form that has been overlooked and perhaps judged by many in our society today. Pure Graffiti has always supported the Legal aspect of the art form, as a way to bring young kids together, and give them a place to express their art with spraycans the legal and proper way. We cannot however, ignore the other side of the Graffiti world, therefore that is why our site PureGraffiti.com showcases all Graffiti weather it be legal or illegal, but by no means support the illegal graffiti art culture. With that said, we are working just as hard to bring to our city and world more legal places for our culture so that all the inspiring artist can have a safe place to express themselves through the art known as Graffiti. <br> Pure G Team');
define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');
define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');
define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {
 define('HEADING_TITLE', '');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Brands');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');
 define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');
 define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');
 define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');
 define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');
 define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');
 define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');
 define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');
 define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');
 define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Brands');
} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {
 define('HEADING_TITLE', '');
} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {
 define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');
}
?>

here is the index.php

That is the wrong file....You have posted the code from the language file, located here: includes/languages/english/index.php)

You are supposed to add it to the main index.php file , which will be in your web shops main folder.

Edited by toyicebear

thanks

but it seems like it doesnt do much at least for me , i added it to the index.php page and then i checked the source of that page once loaded in the browser and all it did was make the title that i created for the index.php file via admin also be the description meta tag for the page, so the exact same

looks like this:

<title>Graffiti Clothing, TShirts, Urban Clothing, Hip Hop Clothes Store.</title>

<meta name="description" content="Graffiti Clothing, TShirts, Urban Clothing, Hip Hop Clothes Store." />

<meta name="keywords" content="Graffiti Clothing, TShirts, Urban Clothing, Hip Hop Clothes Store." />

i had the impression this would create a unique meta tag description based on information taken from each page? or have a place in admin that i can edit these fields?

Edited by pure11

thanks

but it seems like it doesnt do much at least for me , i added it to the index.php page and then i checked the source of that page once loaded in the browser and all it did was make the title that i created for the index.php file via admin also be the description meta tag for the page, so the exact same

looks like this:

<title>Graffiti Clothing, TShirts, Urban Clothing, Hip Hop Clothes Store.</title>

<meta name="description" content="Graffiti Clothing, TShirts, Urban Clothing, Hip Hop Clothes Store." />

<meta name="keywords" content="Graffiti Clothing, TShirts, Urban Clothing, Hip Hop Clothes Store." />

i had the impression this would create a unique meta tag description based on information taken from each page? or have a place in admin that i can edit these fields?

for the other pages , it works great! just for the main index it shows it like that which isnt very usefull, but for the rest of the other pages its perfect addon

thanks

for the other pages , it works great! just for the main index it shows it like that which isnt very usefull, but for the rest of the other pages its perfect addon

thanks

For the front page it only uses the page title, for the other parts which is controled from index.php like categories, sub-categories and manufacturers it does give unique titles and meta tags.

For other pages it creates unique tittle and meta tags both for static and for dynamic pages like index.php and product_info.php

The reason for this is very simple, this is made to be a highly compatible, multilingual and totaly automatic meta tags solution with as easy install as possible....

Ie. only 1 line to replace in any file where you want meta tags.

It would be easy to add the possibilety to set manual meta tags for the front page in the language files, but it would make the install a bit more complicated to do....ie.more files to edit....

But if there is enough interest for it i will make a second version as a standalone contribution with some manual meta info insert options.

Edited by toyicebear

For the front page it only uses the page title, for the other parts which is controled from index.php like categories, sub-categories and manufacturers it does give unique titles and meta tags.

For other pages it creates unique tittle and meta tags both for static and for dynamic pages like index.php and product_info.php

The reason for this is very simple, this is made to be a highly compatible, multilingual and totaly automatic meta tags solution with as easy install as possible....

Ie. only 1 line to replace in any file where you want meta tags.

It would be easy to add the possibilety to set manual meta tags for the front page in the language files, but it would make the install a bit more complicated to do....ie.more files to edit....

But if there is enough interest for it i will make a second version as a standalone contribution with some manual meta info insert options.

yes it really is a great contribution, thank you so much, really helped with all my pages. What i did was include the modified link you provided in the index.php page and over that, i placed a meta tag description and keywords. i know there will be 2 of those, but the first one is what the search engines read , do you know if this is true?

thanks again

yes it really is a great contribution, thank you so much, really helped with all my pages. What i did was include the modified link you provided in the index.php page and over that, i placed a meta tag description and keywords. i know there will be 2 of those, but the first one is what the search engines read , do you know if this is true?

thanks again

Don't do that....it will screw up your metas, for your categories, sub categories and manufacturers too....

V1.3 added: Easy Meta Tags

This is a dual version package, so you can choose which package to use....

Included is v1.2 (Very easy install and no manual adjustments needed) and v1.3 with instructions.

Version history:

1.0 - Basis version compatible with easy install standard osCommerce MS2.2, modified osCommerce MS2.2 and most of the purchased template based osCommerce web shops.

1.1. - Still compatible with all mentioned in v1.0 , but now install instructions have been added for shops using the STS Template system v4.

1.2 - Still compatible with all in V1.0 and V1.1 , but now its also compatible with shops using the contribution (2796) Seach Engine Friendly URL.

1.3 - Still compatible with all in v10, v1.1 and v1.2. Now 2 packages included, v1.2 very easy install and no adjustments needed but also a new v1.3 where you set the meta info for the front page individually for each and every language you use.

Edited by toyicebear

• 2 weeks later...
i installed this mod, but im not really sure how to use it> how does it work? thanks

This is a Automatic meta tags generator which creates meta tags for your web shops individual pages.

The keyword being "automatic" , after you have followed the included instructions and have done the install.....you can just sit back and do nothing.... :lol:

i've installed the script and it works fine but when i look in my source code i see that the metatag description uses a short version of product description, so far perfect.

But when replacing the html code it leaves a very large space before the text starts. I guess that instead of the html characters it replaces them with spaces.

Anyone know how i can change that?

greetz

New Version added...

Version history:

1.2 - Still compatible with all in V1.0 and V1.1 , but now its also compatible with shops using the contribution (2796) Seach Engine Friendly URL.

1.3 - Still compatible with all in v10, v1.1 and v1.2. Now 2 packages included, v1.2 very easy install and no adjustments needed but also a new v1.3 where you set the meta info for the front page individually for each and every language you use.

1.4 - same as 1.3 just with an improved html clean up function for the product meta tags.

• 2 weeks later...

So once I have added this contribution to my site, what do I need to do to generate traffic to my site? Will this contribution help my site show up in search engines like yahoo, google etc (provided I put useful descriptions and keywords). Do I have to sign up for any advertising accounts? Please excuse my ignorance, just trying to learn. I have a site but there is no way for people to know about it except through word of mouth.

Also how do I check source code when a website it loaded into my browser?

Edited by Amer786