• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Request Product Reviews

kymation

The code is written to send a notice once and only once for every order.

I don't know if it will work with the external service. If your host has CRON disabled, they may block external programs as well. You could try it and find out.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 1 month later...
Any tips on online external CRON services?

I would like to know as well!

There is the contribution Job Scheduler, maybe it could be utilized here?

And there is a free service that member lildog mentions as a tool to get his add-on Contribution Tracker going when Cron is not available from the host. The service is called Uptime, again I don't know if this service would be of any help here.

I've noticed that more and more contributions are coded to allow for curl if cron is not an option - at least that's my understanding. It seems to be the correct approach as hosts now tends to disable the cron thing due to security risks involved.

In the event any of these methods would be able to do the job then please post a how-to guide here!

Edited by kbking

It could be that there were no orders in the allotted time window. This script will only send email if the order has been shipped more than the set number of days ago and is not already marked sent. The setup will mark all old orders as sent at the time you run the setup so as to not email people who ordered a long time ago. Wait until the timeout period has passed (default is 10 days) and you should start seeing some emails go out.

The multi-language version is on the wish list. I'll work on it when I can, but don't hold your breath.

Regards

Jim

I assumed this was the case, and that old customers would not receive the email, but I got a ton of emails from old customers (even from 2 years back) replying to the email they received when I first installed the contribution. Since the original email said ”your recent order at...“ everyone freaked out and thought they were being charged for the order again or something. :blink:

I changed the email around, but I am wondering if I had something set up wrong. Also, do you have to set up CRON for this to work, because I don't think my hosts supports CRON due to security issues. What if you don't set up CRON?

Great contribution, by the way. Thanks!

Yol

Edited by jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

• 2 weeks later...

The text is in automatic/review_mail.tpl. Multiple languages are on the wish list, but it's not likely to happen soon. The osCommerce cart does not store the customer's language, so the database needs to be revised to save the language code. And then all past orders break the module. Not fun.

Regards

Jim

I am having some problems.

First, I set up CRON to do the following job: http://myshop.com/automatic/review_mail.php. I was getting a message every morning saying that that directory/file did not exist. Yet later in the day I would get another message saying how many emails were sent, etc., as if it was successful.

I inquired with my host about the error messages and they said that the path to the script was wrong, that I should use:

/usr/local/bin/php -f /hsphere/local/home/myusername/myshop.com/automatic/review_mail.php

So I did that and now I am getting this message from the CRON daemon:

<br />

<b>Fatal error</b>: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in <b>/hsphere/local/home/sridevi9/ayurvedayogashop.com/includes/functions/database.php</b> on line <b>22</b><br />

Any ideas? This seems to come directly from the script, so I am totally confused now.

I know I installed it correctly, because I accidentally sent an email to all my customers when I first set it up, and got many replies to that, so I am wondering if the CRON path is what is messing this up, or what.

As usual, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :(

Yol

Edited by jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

So I did that and now I am getting this message from the CRON daemon:

<br />

<b>Fatal error</b>: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in <b>/hsphere/local/home/sridevi9/ayurvedayogashop.com/includes/functions/database.php</b> on line <b>22</b><br />

I forgot to mention that line 22 on database.php is simply:

$$link = mysql_connect($server, $username, $password);

I ran the script manually and it works fine. Maybe I'll try the phpjobscheduler mentioned above and forget about CRON...

Edited by jailaxmi

It looks like your host has restricted CRON to not opening database connections. Talk to them about it.

Regards

Jim

I just installed and used the phpscheduler script mentioned on another post here and it works like a charm, so I am not going to go back and forth with the host. Now the script works fine and if I ever switch hosts it is all set up to work seamlessly... :D

Thanks!

Yol

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

a few months ago I installed this contribution (Review Request) and was working properly, until my hosting service change the settings to send messages and then I install the contribution "smtp through the authentication smtp server" and since then stopped working the contribution a Review Request, Now I get this message:

#!/usr/local/bin/php

Warning: send(includes/classes/class.smtp.php) [function.send]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/aqua/public_html/todoagua/includes/classes/email.php on line 529

Warning: send() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/classes/class.smtp.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/aqua/public_html/todoagua/includes/classes/email.php on line 529

Fatal error: Undefined class name 'smtp' in /home/aqua/public_html/todoagua/includes/classes/email.php on line 561

all other functions that handle email working properly,

I know that the error indicates it can not find the file path but I do not know how to modify it to work properly again the contribution.

this contribution has been a wonderful help for my store.

I have not made any modifications to the contributions

Can you help me?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with this contrubution.

Every time I try to call review_mail.php either manually or by cron I get the following error:

Warning: implode() function.implode: Invalid arguments passed in /my path/automatic/review_mail.php on line 164

Warning: file(.tpl) function.file: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /my path/automatic/review_mail.php on line 164

Although it seems that scipt es sending emails and I even get confirmation by email but this error is very strange. Any idea?

That error indicates that the template file is not being read. Apparently it's not getting the correct filename from the line above. Try adding the following just above Line 163:

if (!isset($PHP_SELF)) $PHP_SELF = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After changing servers I am getting this error in the cron run

PHP Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/httpdocs/automatic/review_mail.php on line 68

This is my line 68

$site_domain = $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']; // Your site domain; Must be of the form 'sample.com'

• 1 month later...

Hi, having problems getting cron job to work.

How do i incorporate the email text into the php file?

Best guess>>>

// Get the message text

$file_string = "Dear %%customer_name%%

Thank you for your recent purchase from %%store_name%%. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please let us know.

We would like to invite you to help others make an informed decision about our products. Please take a moment to rate and review %%each%% %%products%% that you ordered. When composing your review you can now upload a picture of the product you have purchased. Please be as honest as possible when giving your comments, whether positive or negative.

To review the %%products%% you ordered, please use the following %%link%%:

%%product_list%%

Thanks for shopping with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

%%store_name%% Customer Service
%%store_email%%
%%store_url%%

(c)1998-%%year%%, %%store_name%%";

$message = str_replace ($search_array, $replace_array, $file_string); // Replace the generic text with custom variables

??

Since two days I get this mail from Review Email Run:

'email messages were sent.'

instead of:

'0 email messages were sent.' OR '1 email messages were sent.'

Does anyone know why I'm not getting a amount of email messages anymore?

I hope someone know.

Best regards,

Tim

Sorry, I misunderstood. I've seen CRON do this sort of thing before, and it's a real pain. I suspect that it's some server setting somewhere, sinc I don't have the problem on any of the machines I've installed this on.

Try changing everything to absolute paths. That is, change line 17 to the full path (as you had it before.) Then change line 161 to a full path, like

$text_file = '/home/***/domains/***.nl/public_html/review_mail.tpl';

Regards

Jim

I too was getting blank emails sent when run from CRON (perfect when run manually)

I tried adding above line 163

but that did not work

so I changed 161 as indicated above (rest of paths are relative) and it now works like a charm.

FYI, here are the errors I was getting when blank emails were sent

[11-Nov-2009 05:30:01] PHP Warning: file(.tpl) [<a href='function.file'>function.file</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/cigars/public_html/admin/request_reviews/review_mail.php on line 163

[11-Nov-2009 05:30:01] PHP Warning: implode() [<a href='function.implode'>function.implode</a>]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/cigars/public_html/admin/request_reviews/review_mail.php on line 163

Great script, got 6 reviews from the email I manually sent yesterday!

Jim Bullen - President

The Cigar Hut Group of Companies

Installed add-ons: (that now need to be upgraded to OSC CE Phoenix)

PWA, MVS, Easy Populate, Dynamic Sitemap, Featured Products, MVS Order Editor, MVS Shipping Estimator, Google XML Sitemap, About Us, Ad Tracker, Address Enhancer, Also Purchased, Backorders, Category Descriptions, Dynamic Meta Tags, Contact Us Email Subjects, Country state Selector, Extra Address Line, Order Number in Email Subject, OSC Affiliate, Product Extra Fields, Review Approval System, Reviews in Product Display, Sold Out, Sold Out (but Displayed), Ultimate SEO URL's, Updated Spiders, Welcome Email Password, Pending Order Email, Who's Online Enhancement, CCGV, Easy Discounts, Customer Comments, Request a Review, Sales Report, plus many many more!

I too was getting blank emails sent when run from CRON (perfect when run manually)

I tried adding above line 163

but that did not work

so I changed 161 as indicated above (rest of paths are relative) and it now works like a charm.

FYI, here are the errors I was getting when blank emails were sent

[11-Nov-2009 05:30:01] PHP Warning: file(.tpl) [<a href='function.file'>function.file</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/cigars/public_html/admin/request_reviews/review_mail.php on line 163

[11-Nov-2009 05:30:01] PHP Warning: implode() [<a href='function.implode'>function.implode</a>]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/cigars/public_html/admin/request_reviews/review_mail.php on line 163

Great script, got 6 reviews from the email I manually sent yesterday!

When I try to run the script manually I also don't get any amount of mails. In the past it worked properly...

• 4 weeks later...

Great contribution, tested the other day and everyone in the store got an email! ah. Lots of replys and phone calls which is understandable. Ran it again today and 9 emails sent so that seems great. All is working. I just wanted to check how I know which customer has been sent an email.

Sure a read somewhere ealier in this topic that you can see in admin the custmer has been sent an email but i cant see anything.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Have a look at MailBeez Automatic Trigger Email Campaigns (5min installation):

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7425

it is a structured, modular approach to send out emails based on triggers or behaviour.

A standard-module is to Request Product Reviews, but you can use it very everything to send automatically emails (e.g. birthday greetings, winback campaigns etc.)

• 1 month later...

Reviews are good for your business; they help customers make buying decisions, and they help search engines find your site.

The trick is getting your customers to review the products that they purchased.

This contribution sends an email to every customer asking them to review the product(s) they bought.

It can be scheduled to run a fixed number of days after the order has been marked completed. The

email that is sent is based on a template, so it is easy to modify to suit your business.

Support/comment/requests in this thread. The contribution is here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,5471

Regards

Jim