• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Request Product Reviews

kymation

Hi Thanks for your reply,

Yes I think I set up Email system to use SMTP.

catalog/includes/application_top.php

This line added:

include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'class.smtp.php');

is this any help full or I can send you any file for look.

Thanks

Zee

That's probably it. The Request Review page does not load application_top.php, so you need to make the same change here.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

That's probably it. The Request Review page does not load application_top.php, so you need to make the same change here.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jum,

Thanks for your help,

I copied this code

require($path_rel . 'includes/classes/class.smtp.php');

so email setting look like this .

// incorporate the email class

require($path_rel . 'includes/classes/email.php');

require($path_rel . 'includes/classes/mime.php');

require($path_rel . 'includes/classes/class.smtp.php');

when I run this script this message came in with no error

#!/usr/local/bin/php

Also recieved email that review request script was run and email sent.

Thanks alot.

Zee

Hi,

is this system by default sent review request email to any new customer who purchase or he need to be newsletter subscribed.

Thanks

It can be set either way. There is an Admin setting to restrict the email to newsletter subscribers only.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am using this contribution http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5471 ( request a product review).

The problem is when I am trying through live server using cron job the customer is getting a blank email.But if I try manually by run this http://www.abc.com/automatic/review_mail.php,I am getting the email with the content.

One thing I noticed that I am not getting the text(#!/usr/local/bin/php) appeared in this page http://www.abc.com/automatic/review_mail.php if I do a manual run.

Is there anything wrong with the cron.I have confirmed the php installation path with the host and it is same as the php file.

Please suggest what should I do now.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation.

Best,

Raj

The only thing I can think of is that your host is running CRON with more restrictions than their public web pages, even though that would be a very odd thing to do. Try setting permissions on the automatic directory and all files in it to 777. If that doesn't work, you may have to rewrite review_mail.php to include the template data.

Regards

Jim

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for a great contribution.

I have one problem. I recieved the mail, but the link pointing to product is not clickable, so I have to copy and paste it in the browser to get to that page. Have any idea how it could be fixed?

Hi,

Thanks for this great contribution. Works really perfect. No tried the cron job but thats for later.

I have the same problem, the link in the mail to the customer is not clickable.

The other mail that OSCommerce sends is in HTML so its working correct only not with this contri.

Somebody any idea?

Regards,

Jan

Dreams can come true, if you help them a littlebit

The problem here is HTML email. In regular text email, the email client will (in most cases) convert the text to a clickable link. If the email is sent as HTML this doesn't happen. To fix the problem, we need to format the link in HTML.

Find the following code in review_mail.php [Line 130ff]

while ($products_array = tep_db_fetch_array ($products_query) ) { // Step through the products
		// Add each product and each review URL to a list
		$products_string .= $products_array['products_model'] . ' ' . $products_array['products_name'] . "\n";
		$products_string .= '  ' . $link_server . DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG . '/product_reviews_write.php?products_id=' . $products_array['products_id'] . "\n";
	  } //  while ($products_array

and replace it with

while ($products_array = tep_db_fetch_array ($products_query) ) { // Step through the products
		// Add each product and each review URL to a list
		$products_string .= '<a href="';
		$products_string .= $link_server . DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG . '/product_reviews_write.php?products_id=' . $products_array['products_id'] . '">';
		$products_string .= $products_array['products_model'] . ' ' . $products_array['products_name'];
		$products_string .= '</a>' . "\n";
	  } //  while ($products_array

I haven't tested this, so please check it out before using it on your customers. If it works properly I'll put a switch in the code so this can be automatic.

Regards

Jim

Goodmorning,

The HTML solution works perfect for me! Thanks.

With some tests i found something else, or i'm doing something wrong.

I had set the last_modified column back a day or 15, run http://www.sample.com/automatic/review_mail.php in my browser and i got an request.

The programm works correct, but when i run this in my life store it means that anybody that ordered something the last two years gets an review request. That are more than 2000 requests but i won't bother my customers that bought something 2 years ago with this question.

I'm i correct or have i an bug in my mind ;-)

regards,

jan

You need to run the SQL in the readme.txt under "How to Set Up and Use." That will tag the database so that all previous customers will not receive an email. If you want some of them to receive the email but not all, you'll have to change those rows in the database tables by hand.

Regards

Jim

OK, thanks,

sometimes my english is bad, but now i understand the meaning of that database change. i didn't make it because i was working in the testshop.

Thanks for your reply and answer on my "stupid" question :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Jan

It wasn't a stupid question. I didn't explain that very well in the Readme file, so now I know that I need to fix that. I do my best to make the instructions readable, but sometimes I assume too much.

Glad toi hear you got everything working.

Regards

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Installed v1.02 and had a look at the code ... saw this was being sent to the store owner:

$notice_message .= $orders_count . " email messages were sent. \n"; // Add number sent to the message

In the email I get it says:

email messages were sent.

It doesnt even say 0 email messages were sent .. ??

Something is very wrong here. $orders_count is initialized (to zero) so it always has a value. Something must be interfering with that value. I see nothing in the code that would do that. Did this happen when you ran the code manually?

Regards

Jim

Something is very wrong here. $orders_count is initialized (to zero) so it always has a value. Something must be interfering with that value. I see nothing in the code that would do that. Did this happen when you ran the code manually?

Regards

Jim

That's what I thought aswell as $orders_count is first initialized to 0 so it should AT LEAST display 0 ...

Ye it happened when i ran the code manually by accessing the php file ...

Should I try a different version??

That's what I thought aswell as $orders_count is first initialized to 0 so it should AT LEAST display 0 ...

Ye it happened when i ran the code manually by accessing the php file ...

Should I try a different version??

ahhh what a klutz ... it only sets it to 0 if the db query has any results ... since reminder_sent is set to 1 for all sent orders in my database its not going into that statement and setting $orders_count to 0 ... makes sense now all good cheers :)

That's what I get for assuming that you had an order to send info on. And yes, that's a bug in the code. $orders_count should always be initialized. I'll fix that in the next release. Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards

Jim

It works Perfect!

A few questions:

1. How do I do this? "Once this is running properly, you need to set up a CRON job to make it run automatically."

2. I tried it and got an email "The review reminder script finished execution on .... 190 email message were sent..." :o

It works Perfect!

A few questions:

1. How do I do this? "Once this is running properly, you need to set up a CRON job to make it run automatically."

2. I tried it and got an email "The review reminder script finished execution on .... 190 email message were sent..." :o

1. Talk to your hosting service. If you are on an Apache server, it should be available. There are too many different ways of handling this, from a simple control panel setting to building a crontab file by hand. If you're on a Microsoft server, there is supposed to be an equivalent function, but I have no idea how to use it.

2. You didn't follow the instructions under "How to Set Up and Use", so you just emailed all of your customers. Hope everything was working right, because it's too late to fix it now.

Regards

Jim

Manually, by loading that page in your browser periodically. Or you could switch to a hosting service that does allow you to use CRON.

Regards

Jim

Ok, does it matter how often I load this page? If i do this for exemple once a week (or less), will the contribution send emails to all of my clients who have made a new order (11 days ago or more) - since I last loaded the page? I don't want to risk to send emails more than one time and I don't want to miss anyone...

Is it possible to use an external page such as http://www.webbasedcron.com/ ?

Best Regards and thanks for helping me

Carl

It depends on how busy your store is, and how long you want to wait before sending your customer an email. Once a week would be fine for a small store that only gets a few orders a week, but a busy store that gets hundreds of orders a week might cause problems with the volume of email.

I haven't tried the cron service that you mention, but if you're willing to pay for this service, why not just get a hosting service that provides good basic service? CRON is pretty basic, and most hosts provide it.

Regards

Jim

Ok, my store is quite small, so that's no problem.

I only want to make sure that there's no risk that i miss a customer because i've waited to long with loading the page. And I also don't want to send one client the email two times... But that's no problem?

A free CRON is better, but my question is if it works with an external service?

Thanks!