• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Checkout process...

Carbon

Hi,

The normal checkout process goes something like this...

Checkout_shipping.php...

Shipping Address (Edit)

Shipping Method (Edit)

Reference Note (Edit)

Checkout_payment.php...

Billing Address (Edit)

Payment Method (Edit)

Reference Note (Edit)

Checkout_confirmation.php...

Products (Edit)

Shipping Address (Edit)

Shipping Method (Edit)

Billing Address (Edit)

Payment Method (Edit)

Reference Note

Checkout_success.php...

Done.

I have created a single page version that goes like this...

Place_order.php...

Shipping Address (Edit)

Shipping Method (Edit)

Billing Address (Edit)

Payment Method (Edit)

Reference Note (Edit)

Checkout_success.php...

Done.

The reason was to make the process easier, faster (less page transitions) and to avoid repetition of data.

My question: Is this legal or is there some requirement that the customer must be asked a certain number of times "Are you sure?" or any other reason why this would not be a good idea?

Many thanks

Carbon

Hi,

The normal checkout process goes something like this...

Checkout_shipping.php...

Shipping Address (Edit)

Shipping Method (Edit)

Reference Note (Edit)

Checkout_payment.php...

Billing Address (Edit)

Payment Method (Edit)

Reference Note (Edit)

Checkout_confirmation.php...

Products (Edit)

Shipping Address (Edit)

Shipping Method (Edit)

Billing Address (Edit)

Payment Method (Edit)

Reference Note

Checkout_success.php...

Done.

I have created a single page version that goes like this...

Place_order.php...

Shipping Address (Edit)

Shipping Method (Edit)

Billing Address (Edit)

Payment Method (Edit)

Reference Note (Edit)

Checkout_success.php...

Done.

The reason was to make the process easier, faster (less page transitions) and to avoid repetition of data.

My question: Is this legal or is there some requirement that the customer must be asked a certain number of times "Are you sure?" or any other reason why this would not be a good idea?

Many thanks

Carbon

You can do what you want. To me, the confirmation page is necessary, to you, it is not.

You can do what you want. To me, the confirmation page is necessary, to you, it is not.

Hi Coopco,

Thanks for your reply, can you tell me why the confirmation page is important to you?

Cheers

Carbon

For me the main reason for the conformation page is so the customer can verify the item(s) they are ordering, the quantity if the item(s) they are ordering.

They can check there billing and shipping addresses/information for errors and make corrections.

They can verify they payment and shipping methods are the ones they want to use.

They can then see what the total cost of there order is.

For me as a customer I like the chance to make any changes before paying, as a shop owner it makes it a lot easier for me since I won't have to get a panic call/email from a customer needing help due to an error they made.

It won't eliminate errors 100% but to me it's better than nothing.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

For me the main reason for the conformation page is so the customer can verify the item(s) they are ordering, the quantity if the item(s) they are ordering.

They can check there billing and shipping addresses/information for errors and make corrections.

They can verify they payment and shipping methods are the ones they want to use.

They can then see what the total cost of there order is.

For me as a customer I like the chance to make any changes before paying, as a shop owner it makes it a lot easier for me since I won't have to get a panic call/email from a customer needing help due to an error they made.

It won't eliminate errors 100% but to me it's better than nothing.

Exactly, plus I use the pending email contribution.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a payment processor I can tell you that the quicker you can make the checkout process the more conversions you will have.

The best process is as follows:

1. Consumer has placed items in his basket and is ready to checkout.

2. He is given two link options View Basket & Straight to checkout.

3. If he view/edits his basket next link is checkout.

4. If he is straight to checkout then go straight to paypage.

5. paypage should have the following.

Order Summary - should show items, tax and final amount with currency clearly indicated.

Billing/Shipping Address details & instructions if not already gathered.

credit card entry fields

6. A payment success/fail page. If fail it should show the reason back to the customer and allow them to correct the information without having to re-enter all their information. <-- biggest killer of orders if customer has to re-type all their info in again. Its important to show the reason for failure because it may be something simple like "expiry date in the past", ie they have entered a bum date and it is easily fixed. The success fail page should also have a link to show an invoice/receipt the consumer can print with any further instructions.

Hope that helps

Iridium Support

Hi IridiumCorp,

Thanks for your comments, I agree with you (which is why I developed a one page alternative), the quicker... the better.

What I will do is offer the familiar 4 step process from the checkout help page.

Carbon

PS I will be opening up the e-commerce part of the site fairly soon for testing so if anyone is interested then PM me.

Archived