• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

phpMyAdmin

mek113

I'm attempting a new installation of osCommerce. I'm on page 5 of the Documentation and it says "Using phpMyAdmin or another tool, create your database and user, and assign that user to the database." I'm lost already. Do I have to know php in order to use osCommerce? What is the other tool referred to in the directions? I'm just a designer that uses Dreamweaver - no programming knowledge. Should I try a different shopping cart?

mek113

phpMyAdmin is a MySQL GUI that makes it easier for the non-geek to access and make changes to the database. Or in this case, create a database.

If you are installing on a remote sever, your host should have phpMyAdmin installed. You will find an option linking to it from your control panel. You may well have an option to create a new, blank database from your control panel, without going into phpMyAdmin. If it is a local install and you have a package such as WAMP or XAMPP, you will have installed phpMyAdmin through those.

All carts will use a server side scripting language so in reality, to be able to maintain a shopping cart application, you will either need to learn enough to be familiar with the language or pay someone to handle that side for you.

• 4 weeks later...
I checked with my host server and yes they had Fantastico that I could use to install the osCommerce software. One step accomplished. Thanks for your help.

mek113, I am in your shoes and need to get up and running; what is Fantastico?

mek113, I am in your shoes and need to get up and running; what is Fantastico?

Fantastico install an old version of OSC for you.

To run an sql file in phpMyAdmin:

Go to your phpMyAdmin

Choose your osC database on the left in the pull-down menu

On the right side, click on the SQL tab at the top

Then paste the code from the sql file into the textarea on that page

Click on the GO button and it is done

• 1 year later...

Archived