• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Benefits of enabling Encrypted Web Payments

mcksly

I am setting up the Paypal IPN contribution, and am wondering why I would have to set up Encrypted Web Payments?

If my customers are already being redirected to the secure paypal site... then what benefit will enabling Encrypted Web Payments do for me?

The PayPal IPN module uses the PayPal Standard Button Code to pass through the order details with the post method. The order detail needs to go through users' browser, and submitted when users arrive at PayPal site. Security breaches exist if the users are capable of modifying the post data, and change the payment amount or the item quantity, etc.

EWP (Encrypted Web Payments) is to protect the store, by encrypting the order info, so the post data cannot be modified. IMHO, EWP is a must have if you attempt to use PayPal IPN module.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

EWP doesn't require a trust signed certificate to work with. You don't need to purchase one, a self signed certificate is good enough.

I don't know if PayPal IPN works without a dedicated IP. If you're asking me, I would say that a dedicated IP is not good enough for a decent online shopping website, you need at least a shared SSL as well.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

I believe I do have a shared SSL. I purchsed the "business" hosting services from Gnet hosting.. but when I was asking their technicians about the EWP, they said I would need to purchase a static IP address (maybe they just wanted me to pay more money).... not sure why though.. and I was under the impression I would have to buy a certificate.

I only started this process a while ago, and I feel I have learned so much! (even though I still know nothing!). These forums have been such a great help. I've got my entire site up and running.. just trying to figure out this EWP before I open.

Ok.. so to get the inputs required for EWP, how do I go about getting a self signed certificate?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Check the link Selling Downloads on the tag of my signature. There is a detailed instruction about how to setup EWP.