• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's new on PayPal IPN Payment Module v0.96

v0.96 (Released 11/20/2002)

---------------------------

- Added support for PayPal Multiple Currencies feature (read IMPORTANT 6 in install.txt)

- Modification in paypal_notify.php to avoid unnecessary work when reading PayPal vars (thanks Carlos -aka blak geek-)

- Added support to the new TAX parameter in PayPal (thanks to Brad Waite!)

Download link for old checkout api: http://www.oscommerce.com/downloads.php/co...ions,698/type,1

Download link for new checkout api: http://www.oscommerce.com/downloads.php/co...ions,699/type,1

I cant accept payments with PayPal, so the Multiple Currencies implementation has not been strongly tested. Anyway it all should work without any problem. Please report any bug/problem/feedback/suggestion you have about it!

Best regards

Question about upgrading from v9.1

In the installation instructions of the checkout_success.txt , it says

You should search for ALL ocurrencies of NAVBAR_TITLE_2, HEADING_TITLE, TEXT_SUCCESS and add an $ at the start.

I just wanted to verify that you meant to exclude what is to the right of the assignment operators here

$HEADING_TITLE = HEADING_TITLE;

$NAVBAR_TITLE_2 = NAVBAR_TITLE_2;

$TEXT_SUCCESS = TEXT_SUCCESS;

These instructions could be a problem if someone does a find and replace (like I did) :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I have not yet had a completed successful PayPal transaction since switching to the IPN contribution, but several orders show PayPal Processing status so I am guessing the customers did not complete their payments. Now I am tempted to switch back to the official CVS paypal module, and run the risk of having payments without orders as reported in this forum (restated below), rather than see all these unpaid orders.

Anyone else have similar experience with IPN, or comments on the choice of modules? I salute Pablo for his efforts, but tracking his updates to the moving CVS target is tedious (esp., mods to checkout_success). Lesson learned: don't try new contributions on a live site.

Is it really true that, using paypal.php v.1.33, the customer could exit or quit while at paypal.com with the result that there is a payment made but no order recorded?

Patrick seemed to deny this was possible, if I interpret his post:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...ighlight=#77758

zzfritz,

First of all, all of those PayPal processing orders are people that changed their mind about ordering. It wouldn't have made a difference what PayPal module you were useing. As a metter of fact, the IPN contribution is seemless to the customer, except the contribution actually passes the customers information to paypal so they won't have to fill it out, again.

Secondly, if you re-read Patrick's post, he says that the "IPN" is what prevents this from happening. The Paypal module that comes whith the snapshots does not implement IPN, and therefore could cause you some trouble.

Yes, it's really true that using paypal.php v.1.33, the customer could exit or quit while at paypal.com with the result that there is a payment made but no order recorded?

But don't take my word for it. searche the forums and you will see DOZENS of people complaining about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Okey-dokey, I accept that the hazard of a payment without record of an order is a genuine one. That justifies the alternative IPN contribution, even though it requires a mod to checkout_success, and even though there will be a continuing need to review and delete the unpaid order records.

Ah, the joys of feature-rich checkout with tightly bound payment and shipping modules ...

there will be a continuing need to review and delete the unpaid order records.

Actually, this is very usefull information. This data represents people that were this close ||, to purchasing from you.

What I do, is send all of those people a friendly email, asking them if they encountered any problems, or have any questions. I get about 40% of them to order after all.

I believe Pablo is currently working on a contribution to automate this process, also.