Sign in to follow this  
BradWaite

PayPal IPN and tax

Hi all,

I just implemented PayPal IPN v0.951 and am having a few difficulties that I haven't seen addressed in the forums (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've set up tax zones correctly so that a customer in Colorado is charged 2.9% state sales tax. So far, everything's great. But when they check out with PayPal IPN, PayPal adds tax to the total from the shopping cart.

Is there any way to turn off PayPal's tax? I can't find it in the docs. I don't want to turn it off in osCommerce, since the customer's invoice won't reflect the correct tax.

Came up with a solution that involves hacking the IPN code.

In catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypalipn.php add the following into the install() function:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Add Tax to Amount', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ADD_TAX_TO_AMOUNT','False', 'Add tax amount to order amount? (will set tax amount to $0 in PayPal)', '6', '5', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array('True', 'False'), ', now())");

and change the keys() function to:

function keys() {

return array('MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_STATUS', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ID', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_NOTIFY_URL', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_CURL', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ADD_SHIPPING_TO_AMOUNT', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ADD_TAX_TO_AMOUNT', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_COMPLETED_TXN_STATUS_ID', 'MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_UPDATE_STOCK_BEFORE_PAYMENT');

}

In catalog/checkout_paypalipn.php change everything after the line "$last_order= $insert" to the following:

$paypal_ipn_order_total = $order->info['total'];

if (MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ADD_SHIPPING_TO_AMOUNT=='True') {

$paypal_ipn_shipping_amount = 0.00;

} else {

$paypal_ipn_order_total -= $order->info['shipping_cost'];

$paypal_ipn_shipping_amount = number_format($order->info['shipping_cost'] * $currencies->get_value('USD'), 2);

};

if (MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ADD_TAX_TO_AMOUNT=='True') {

$paypal_ipn_tax_amount = 0.00;

} else {

$paypal_ipn_order_total -= $order->info['tax'];

$paypal_ipn_tax_amount = number_format($order->info['tax'] * $currencies->get_value('USD'), 2);

};

$paypal_ipn_order_amount = number_format($paypal_ipn_order_total * $currencies->currencies['USD']['value'], 2);

tep_redirect("https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ext-enter&redirect_cmd=_xclick&business=".MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_ID."&item_name=".urlencode(STORE_NAME)."&item_number=".$insert_id."&amount=".$paypal_ipn_order_amount."&shipping=".$paypal_ipn_shipping_amount."&tax=".$paypal_ipn_tax_amount."&return=".tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SUCCESS,'','SSL')."&cancel_return=".tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT,'','SSL')."&first_name=".urlencode($order->customer['firstname'])."&last_name=".urlencode($order->customer['lastname'])."&address1=".urlencode($order->customer['street_address'])."&city=".urlencode($order->customer['city'])."&state=".urlencode($order->customer['state'])."&zip=".urlencode($order->customer['postcode'])."&email=".$order->customer['email_address']."&bn=oscommerce-osmosis-0.951&notify_url=".MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALIPN_NOTIFY_URL);

Now turn PayPal IPN off and back on in the admin interface. You'll have an "Add Tax to Amount" option that works just like the "Add Shipping to Amount"..

Pablo, et. al., a "tax" field went live Friday. Third party carts can now specify a fixed tax amount by including a FORM field named "tax" in the PayPal button.

Patrick Breitenbach

Hi Patrick and Brad

Thanks

The taxes now work in the new release of the module!

best regards

Pablo Pasqualino

Mar del Plata, Argentina