• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I ...? All the basic install questions regularly asked...

At the time I posted this, there were absolutely NO IMAGES in your /store/images folder (not even in the subfolders, I looked).

:blush:

I'm so lost now! How do I get to the images folder? (I did this once before and it worked then...)

thanks

josh

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Q: How do I enter new line in product description? Whatever i do there is always one line in preview...

insert <br> per line brake you want

Many thanks

Mumbles

"The Luddite"

Just show me where to throw my Cloggs

Okay - I freely admit that I am novice to OSC - that being said, I have searched the header.php file in both admin and catalog folder and have found nowhere to change the 'oscommerce.gif' file to my own image file which I've already uploaded.

Ya, My file wasn't 'OSCommerce.GIF' it was 'store_logo.png'

Hi I am new to all of this forum stuff so please excuse me if i am doing this wrong... I need help so badly... I don't know how this occured but I am receiving this message everytime I try to view my website:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /mnt/w0108/d29/s44/b02bee48/www/earthglominerals.com/minerals/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 79

I have tried to fix this problem, but can't seem to figure out what i am doing wrong or what I need to do. Any suggestions?? Please help!!!

My line 79:

define('BOX_HEADING_WHATS_NEW', 'What\'s New?');

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Hi I am new to all of this forum stuff so please excuse me if i am doing this wrong... I need help so badly... I don't know how this occured but I am receiving this message everytime I try to view my website:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /mnt/w0108/d29/s44/b02bee48/www/earthglominerals.com/minerals/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 79

I have tried to fix this problem, but can't seem to figure out what i am doing wrong or what I need to do. Any suggestions?? Please help!!!

Can you paste a few lines of code from your english.php file from around line 79 forward (say, 78 - 80)? You have a syntax error in that area.

Nevermind, I found what I needed. My stylesheet wasn't under catalog/includes/...it was just under includes. Crazyness. Thank you anyway!

~ Ariana

Not craziness.. you won't see a folder called "catalog" unless you've named it that- it's just name used for the "main" folder that is your oscommerce folder... it's almost always referred to as "catalog"

Here is a “How Do I …?” list for the basic questions that get asked in this forum. After spending a lot of time searching for this list, and realising that the same things are asked over and over, I thought I would put this list here with answers to make it easier for others to find!

Maybe this could get pinned to make it easy to find and others could add to this list their How do I...? with the ANSWER!

How Do I ……

1. … Change the OsCommerce in the Title?

2. … Change the What’s New Here on the front page?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English/index.php

Find the following line and change it to what you want it to say

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');

3. … Change the Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account on the front page?

[b]4. … Change the default text on the front page?	[/b]
Find the following line that starts with the following (about line 13 – usually the first one ) and change it to what you want it to say [code]  define('HEADING_TITLE', 'TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup  ……  . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');');

An easier way to do this is to install the contribution Define MainPage then you can change the default text whenever you like through the Admin section

5. … Remove the ??? box from the left / right side?

Go to catalog/includes/column_left.php OR column_right.php and put // in front of the line with the box name that you want to remove.

An easier way is to install the contribution InfoBox Admin which will let you remove the boxes, move them to the other column through clicking buttons through the admin. You can also add other boxes easily through this as well.

6. … Move the ??? box from the left / right side?

Go to catalog/includes/column_left.php OR column_right.php and put // in front of the line with the box name that you want to remove. Copy that line then add it into the other file where you want it to be.

An easier way is to install the contribution InfoBox Admin which will let you remove the boxes, move them to the other column through clicking buttons through the admin. You can also add other boxes easily through this as well.

7. … Add the ??? box from the left / right side?

Go to catalog/includes/column_left.php OR column_right.php and copy a line then change it into the file that you want to add.

8. … Remove / Add the rounded corners to the info boxes on the left or right columns?

Go to catalog/includes/boxes and open the corresponding file name for the box you want to change. Here is the code that will change this – look for the line that you have (eg left rounded) then change it to what you want it to be.

No rounded corners

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);

Right rounded corner

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, true);

Left rounded corner

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, false);

Both rounded corners

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, true);

9. … Remove / Add the rounded corners to the info boxes in the middle part of the page? (eg: New Products for MONTH)

Go to catalog/includes/modules and open the corresponding file name for the box you want to change. Change the following code to the one above that you want.

new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

10. … Change the default text ???? on the ???? page

Go to catalog/includes/language/YourLanguage/ and choose the filename with the same name as the page you want to change. Look for the text in there that you want to change

11. … Change the Title in the ???? Box?

Go to catalog/includes/English.php and find the line where NAME_OF_BOX is the box you want to change and Title of Box is the title that is showing and change the Title of Box to what you want

define('BOX_HEADING_NAME_OF_BOX, 'Title of Box');

12. … Remove the Top from the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/application_top.php and put // in front of the following line (around 482)

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

13. … Change Top or the Catalog on the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/English.php and find the following lines and make the changes as necessary

define('HEADER_TITLE_TOP', 'Top');
define('HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG', 'Catalog');

14. … Change the >> in the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/header.php and find the following line – about 63 and change the bit that begins after trail that begins with the & and ends in the ; to the character that you want.

<td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' & raquo; '); ?></td>

15. … Change the default currency to one that is not USD to get the prices to show?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English.php and around line 39 find

define('LANGUAGE_CURRENCY', 'USD');

and change the USD to Currency code that you want to use.

16. … Change the date format to DD/MM/YYYY?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English.php and around line 21

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%m/%d/%Y');  // this is used for strftime()

change it to

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%d/%m/%Y');  // this is used for strftime()

Then around line 23 find this

define('DATE_FORMAT', 'm/d/Y'); // this is used for date()

and change it to

define('DATE_FORMAT', 'd/m/Y'); // this is used for date()

You also need to make the same changes in catalog/ADMIN/includes/languages/English.php

17. How do I change the font / colour / size?

Go to catalog/includes/stylesheet.css and make the changes in there for the main site.

Go to catalog/admin/includes/stylesheet.css and make the changes in there for the admin section.

Happy coding! :D

I am in the process of using the software for the first time, I have followed to the letter the help for editing pages, but after I have downloaded and changed the page, well nothing changes.

The same with the header I have replaced it but am still looking at the OSC header.

I am at my wits end, any help would be appreciated.

I have done just about everything so I am presuming a bug somewhere, so how can I get around it.

also the file size of the php is bigger before I upload and the size does not change after it is put back in the folder. EEEEKKKK

Ken

Thanks for the tutorials they are helpful. However I think this is missing a very important explanation, which is how to configure osCommerce with PayPal Standard account? And perhaps other such services. Can someone explaine this to me?

I enabled the module, inputed the email address but that doesn't seem to be enough?

You need to update your /includes/spiders.txt file:

Updated spiders.txt

In your /includes/configure.php file set this:

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

And the cookie settings in that configure file should be:

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.domain.com');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.domain.com');
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

(Replace domain.com with your domain name)

In your Admin under Sessions this is how I have mine set:

Force Cookie Use False

Check SSL Session ID False

Check User Agent True

Check IP Address False

Prevent Spider Sessions True

Recreate Session True

If anyone sees anything wrong with those settings don't be bashful!

I think the real important ones are set OK (Force Cookie Use false, Prevent Spider Sessions true, Recreate Session true).

The reason to not force cookie usage is some people have all cookies turned off.

When you go to install the SSL, this may prove handy:

How to install SSL on OSC: A Simple 1-2-3 Instruction, Simple, straighforward instructions

That should get you started off on the right foot, I believe.

I'm very very new at this so sorry about the n00bness.

But I get this on a little bar all the way at the top when I click the configure.php .

Error Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home1/wholesf1/public_html/home//includes/configure.php

I can see the codes and everything but i try to click save and it doesn't let me

First

Find out what the file permissions are now and write them down so you can change them back to that when you are done.

THEN

Try changing the file permissions to 644 via FTP or cPanel. Personally I'd use cPanel.

Don't ask me how - not all FTP programs or cPanels are created equal.

If you use cPanel your host may be able to assist.

And I wouldn't use the File Mangler Manager in your store admin to edit anything.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

• 2 weeks later...

THIS IS AWESOME INFO! HAD I KNOW ALL OF THIS MY SITE WOULD HAVE BEEN U AND RUNNING BY NOW.

DID NT SEE THIS... I HAVE A PRINT SHOP I WOULD LIKE FOR PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO UPLOAD THERE FILES TO ME FOR PRINT. HOW DO I DO THIS? Possibly after they place there order it can go to an "Upload your files" page ????

I appreciate your help!!

I'm trying to change the text on the front page, where it says "Welcome Guest". I've done it before, but cannot remember where I did it. The information given (copied below) is incorrect, at least for mine. I know I had problems finding it before with this information. Can anyone help?

"3. … Change the Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account on the front page?

"

Tara Forsythe

I finally just found it ... in case others have the same problem, it can be found here:

httpdocs / includes / languages / english.php

I'm trying to change the text on the front page, where it says "Welcome Guest". I've done it before, but cannot remember where I did it. The information given (copied below) is incorrect, at least for mine. I know I had problems finding it before with this information. Can anyone help?

"3. … Change the Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account on the front page?

"

Tara Forsythe

14. … Change the >> in the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/header.php and find the following line – about 63 and change the bit that begins after trail that begins with the & and ends in the ; to the character that you want.

<td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' & raquo; '); ?></td>

Hello,

I tried to change the >> in the breadcrums, but it did not change. I used this one: →

Also tried other ones, but it did not work.

Is there maybe something else you need to change? I am using sts by the way.

Regards,

Marleen

I need to change the "order status" terms as seen within the admin section.

Specifically, I want the term "Delivered" to say "Shipped".

I also want to change "preparing [paypal Standard]" to something else.

i've looked all through the language files

includes\languages\english

and

\admin\includes\languages\

with no luck. Anyone know please?

How to I change the width of the bar at the bottom with the number of hits and date? I'm pretty sure I've got all of the tables adjusted but for whatever reason I'm missing it?

I'm using osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a :blink:

Archived