• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I ...? All the basic install questions regularly asked...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I rename the main folder after I have started building my store. I've basically left the folder as /osc and not changed it to /catalog! I've tried renaming it but it then breaks all the links and images naturally.

Other than getting an SSL certificate am I safe to begin promoting the store and begin trading or are there any other security issues I need to be aware off before accepting payments?

Thanks in advance

hello. obviously, im very new at this. i didnt have any background with regard to web installation and configuration thing. im like "learning by experience" so to speak.

1. why cant i see the whole page with images and text on dreamweaver?

2. how do i edit the images, i don't know where to look for the .psd file...

3. how would i know if my page is already installed...

please help me. im such a damsel in distress i know, but im desperate. thanks thanks thanks so much...

Hi I'm a Newbie,

Please forgive me for probably asking a question that is already covered or im doing something wrong.

I'm in the process of configuring my store using osCommerce template on the server at my hosting company ixwebhosting.com and i would like to change the "osCommerce" name in the heading in all my pages and also the discription on the web browser tab.

I found this forum subject link and #1 question was "Change the OsCommerce in the Title?"

Answer "Log into the admin then go to Configuration > My Store and edit Store Name"

However when i do this nothing happens and the "osCommerce" is still in the heading.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

It depends on the version you have and whether the code has been edited, say by a template. You can generally go to includes/languages/english.php and change it there. Search for TITLE.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi guys, thanks for the pages of help here! Much appreciated.......

I am stuck on one thing I would like to do.

Can I insert an image as my background? A single image or a tiled image?

Thanks.

You can do that using the body tag in the stylesheet.css file or if your includes/header.php file uses tables or div's, it can be done with more control there.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Pls, do you know any simple guide how integrate my oscommerce cart to my website such as a smaller part of my website?

using directories and FTP?

Thanks

Maggie

You need to install the oscommerce shop into a sub-directory on your server. It can be named what you want, say store. Once it is installed, you should be able to visit it by going to http://ENTER YOUR DOMIN NAME HERE.com/store. If that works, then add a link to that location in your regular web page.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I have just deleted an order and don't know how to undo or restore it?

Can someone please help me?

You can undo it. You can rstore it if you have a backup of your database. However, as time goes by, the database will change so unless you do the restore right away, you may lose other information. If your database is small, usually under 5 MB, you can do regulare backups by going to admin->Tools->Database Backups. You can also do restores from there should you need it, with the above caveats.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Can I rename the main folder after I have started building my store. I've basically left the folder as /osc and not changed it to /catalog! I've tried renaming it but it then breaks all the links and images naturally.

Other than getting an SSL certificate am I safe to begin promoting the store and begin trading or are there any other security issues I need to be aware off before accepting payments?

Thanks in advance

You can rename it to whatever you like as long as you also change the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files to use the new name.

It depends on your shops version but there are always security issues. Read the posts on the forums to see what others are doing about it.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

hello. obviously, im very new at this. i didnt have any background with regard to web installation and configuration thing. im like "learning by experience" so to speak.

1. why cant i see the whole page with images and text on dreamweaver?

2. how do i edit the images, i don't know where to look for the .psd file...

3. how would i know if my page is already installed...

please help me. im such a damsel in distress i know, but im desperate. thanks thanks thanks so much...

1 - Php doesn't work like html when it comes to displaying files so you can't use DW to show your pages.

2 - There isn't a psd file for the shop. The appearance is spread out over many files.

3 - I don't understand this one. But if you mean if your shop is working, visit it in a web browser.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

so i changed my password for the database and now the site gives an error.. i am looking though the configuration.php but can't find where i am suppose to adjust the file... can someone help please.

americanpondandgarden [.] com

NVM mind it automatically came back... kinda wierd... how do i change the part on the bottom of the page.... powered by OScommerce... i changed that a while ago to my name but i want to remove it completly.. bare with me here, this is my first time.

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

I recently purchased an SSL Certificate from my host site.. can someone direct me as to how I add it to my store. Right now it says I am still not SSL Cert. The host site said something about pointing to https??

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys - Can anyone help with this request or should it be in another thread somewhere for help.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Guys - Can anyone help with this request or should it be in another thread somewhere for help.

Many thanks in advance.

Already answered.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I'm new to oscommerce so I'm having a little difficulty. Check out my site www.a1carbs.com/store. the error always comes up due to problems changing the text:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DEFAULT in /home/certifj0/public_html/a1carbs/store/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 14

is there some way to copy someone else's code and paste into mine with all the text taken out?

or is these an easy solution?

-a1carbs

Hi,

I'm new to oscommerce so I'm having a little difficulty. Check out my site www.a1carbs.com/store. the error always comes up due to problems changing the text:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DEFAULT in /home/certifj0/public_html/a1carbs/store/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 14

is there some way to copy someone else's code and paste into mine with all the text taken out?

or is these an easy solution?

-a1carbs

The error means you made a mistake in the file listed at, or before, line 14. To fix it, replace the file with your original (always make a backup of any file you are going to edit) and try the changes again. Or post the contents of that file up to line 15 and someone will take a look at it.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The error means you made a mistake in the file listed at, or before, line 14. To fix it, replace the file with your original (always make a backup of any file you are going to edit) and try the changes again. Or post the contents of that file up to line 15 and someone will take a look at it.

Jack

yes, i understand, thank you!

-josh

why aren't any of my images working on my site and my store? everything has been uploaded correctly as far as i know.

check it out: www.a1carbs.com and www.a1carbs.com/store

thanks

josh

At the time I posted this, there were absolutely NO IMAGES in your /store/images folder (not even in the subfolders, I looked).

:blush:

To the guy who wants different color buttons - they're images (in vanilla osc). Make new images if you don't like the color.

:huh:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Archived